Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 01-30-2008   #181
BDP

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post
I find it hard to believe that Toshiba is launching a multi-million dollar ad campaign without assurances from Universal & Paramount. At the very least, a “give us a few months to see what happens” type contract. And it’s absolutely ridiculous to think that Toshiba is taking out a $2.7 million dollar super bowl ad to help clear remaining inventory.

I predict that by this time next week, HD DVD owners will feel a lot better about the upcoming movie situation.
I hesitantly agree with you but after the WB swap it's hard not to rule anything out at this point.

As of lately a lot of posts mentioning Universal and Paramount are getting deleted and our favorite Bluray poster boy Bill Hunt is dodging questions about it.

I can see where one like David would come up with his (Bill the Schill) silence as being a good thing but there are always two sides to a coin.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #182
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
David has no links or sources. His life has revolved around bashing and living in the limelight of his blu ray victory. I think it's rather sad, myself. So while we are all out with our women, David can remain here with his keyboard, and his blu ray!
Indeed...I was just "transcribing" much of the banter he throws around.

You got links? Where's the proof? That's not a credible source...etc. etc.

Old 01-30-2008   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post
I hesitantly agree with you but after the WB swap it's hard not to rule anything out at this point.

As of lately a lot of posts mentioning Universal and Paramount are getting deleted and our favorite Bluray poster boy Bill Hunt is dodging questions about it.

I can see where one like David would come up with his (Bill the Schill) silence as being a good thing but there are always two sides to a coin.
I couldn’t stop laughing when I heard Bill Hunt was no longer accepting HD DVD advertising on his website. Here we have the HD DVD side advertising on the SUPER BOWL & AMERICAL IDOL… and he’s proclaiming that he won’t allow them to advertise on his Google Adwords filled webpage. Ha! Priceless…

But anyway…

For a week after the WB announcement, the HD DVD side went silent while they gauged retail & studio support (this has been widely reported on). A week later, they emerge with aggressive new pricing and a new marketing campaign. Something happened during that week that convinced Toshiba to keep investing millions into HD DVD.

The HD DVD side must know they can’t compete with the minimal release schedule they currently have. The fact that they are going forward and spending millions of dollars suggests to me that they have an answer for this. Therefore, I fully expect the HD DVD side to announce additional studio support and/or a massive catalog release schedule from Universal, Paramount and DreamWorks. I expect we’ll hear something in the very near future too.

If I’m wrong and they don’t have a solution for their paltry release schedule, then yes, the HD DVD side is in big trouble, no matter how low hardware prices are. On the other hand: low hardware prices + a ton of great movie releases could be the recipe for success.

Last edited by 1more4HDDVD; 01-30-2008 at 12:26 PM..
1more4HDDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #184
BDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post
I couldn’t stop laughing when I heard Bill Hunt was no longer accepting HD DVD advertising on his website. Here we have the HD DVD side advertising on the SUPER BOWL & AMERICAL IDOL… and he’s proclaiming that he won’t allow them to advertise on his Google Adwords filled webpage. Ha! Priceless…

But anyway…

For a week after the WB announcement, the HD DVD side went silent while they gauged retail & studio support (this has been widely reported on). A week later, they emerge with aggressive new pricing and a new marketing campaign. Something happened during that week that convinced Toshiba to keep investing millions into HD DVD.

The HD DVD side must know they can’t compete with the minimal release schedule they currently have. The fact that they are going forward and spending millions of dollars suggests to me that they have an answer for this. Therefore, I fully expect the HD DVD side to announce additional studio support and/or a massive catalog release schedule from Universal, Paramount and DreamWorks. I expect we’ll hear something in the very near future too.

If I’m wrong and they don’t have a solution for their paltry release schedule, then yes, the HD DVD side is in big trouble, no matter how low hardware prices are. On the other hand: low hardware prices + a ton of great movie releases could be the recipe for success.
The only thing that will help HD DVD is studio support at this point. It's what's bringing them down now and about the only thing that can bring them back. If they can't fix that then it's going to be a hard sell convincing Paramount and Universal to stick around.

Toshiba needs to do this quickly or the wave that is bluray will wash them out. The BDA has too much momentum right now to strike back with lower player prices and verbal commitments to releasing more discs.
Old 01-31-2008   #185

Quote:
David has no links or sources. His life has revolved around bashing and living in the limelight of his blu ray victory. I think it's rather sad, myself. So while we are all out with our women, David can remain here with his keyboard, and his blu ray!
Where are your sources that HD DVD will survive?

I was just telling you my opinion. Don't let the fact that most of my predictions have come true fool you.

And at the end of 2008 we can both acknowledge that I was in fact correct.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #186

All I can say is so far this format war has taught me one thing. Expect the unexpected.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom