Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008   #13
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosePond View Post
The war may not yet be over but I'd hate to have my future tied to HD-DVD at the moment. At CES last week it was obvious from their respective booths which format was garnering the most attention. The overly crowded Blu-ray booth was "happening" with a giant replica of a "Pirates" ship and lifesize Simpson's statues whereas the HD-DVD booth was boring and nearly deserted (despite a sign claiming that they had over 1,000 titles "worldwide").
That was all due to the WB announcement.

BD has always owned CES. This year they paid $500M in advertising and BD50 subsidation for it.

This was a good move because otherwise it would have been the biggest CES ever for HD-DVD. They did a good job of stopping the momentum. They kind of had to.

In the begining BD had 90% of the DVD market releasing on BD. Then it dropped to 70%. Meanwhile HD-DVD always had around 45%. Now it's 70% to 25%.

Before the month is over it will be either 95% to 25% or 60% to 35%.

Today from "rumors," in LA it's looking like 60% to 35% and a BIG studio looking at going neutral if that happens. Meaning 60% to 50% which is no real edge at all.

Then the price factor kicks in.

In the console war when it looked like MS would never amount to much they went and BOUGHT studios. Not as in "paid for exclusives," but bought the studio itself. Just as Sony did with Columbia.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: utah
Posts: 18
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
That was all due to the WB announcement.

BD has always owned CES. This year they paid $500M in advertising and BD50 subsidation for it.

This was a good move because otherwise it would have been the biggest CES ever for HD-DVD. They did a good job of stopping the momentum. They kind of had to.

In the begining BD had 90% of the DVD market releasing on BD. Then it dropped to 70%. Meanwhile HD-DVD always had around 45%. Now it's 70% to 25%.

Before the month is over it will be either 95% to 25% or 60% to 35%.

Today from "rumors," in LA it's looking like 60% to 35% and a BIG studio looking at going neutral if that happens. Meaning 60% to 50% which is no real edge at all.

Then the price factor kicks in.

In the console war when it looked like MS would never amount to much they went and BOUGHT studios. Not as in "paid for exclusives," but bought the studio itself. Just as Sony did with Columbia.

Are these real rumors floating around or is this just wild speculation?? Is the HD dvd group trying hard to pull over more content providers?? could uni and para be waiting to see what toshiba does and if it can lure in another studio before they make up their mind on their stances and thats why they have not released any new info on titles?
TheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #15
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 240
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
That was all due to the WB announcement.

BD has always owned CES. This year they paid $500M in advertising and BD50 subsidation for it.

This was a good move because otherwise it would have been the biggest CES ever for HD-DVD. They did a good job of stopping the momentum. They kind of had to.

In the begining BD had 90% of the DVD market releasing on BD. Then it dropped to 70%. Meanwhile HD-DVD always had around 45%. Now it's 70% to 25%.

Before the month is over it will be either 95% to 25% or 60% to 35%.

Today from "rumors," in LA it's looking like 60% to 35% and a BIG studio looking at going neutral if that happens. Meaning 60% to 50% which is no real edge at all.

Then the price factor kicks in.

In the console war when it looked like MS would never amount to much they went and BOUGHT studios. Not as in "paid for exclusives," but bought the studio itself. Just as Sony did with Columbia.
Lotus if hddvd gets that extras 10% of studio support you mention (that studio has been in financial trouble for quite some time) how likely do you think is it that the other bigger studio will go neutral?
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #16
Super Member
 
TheMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma (Go Sooners!!)
Posts: 1,243
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
This was a good move because otherwise it would have been the biggest CES ever for HD-DVD. They did a good job of stopping the momentum. They kind of had to.
Your kidding right?
They still had nothing there, besides canceling the press conference there was no support shown by sugar daddy Microsoft, No 51G TL disc, No xbox built in player & a deserted pavilion.
How would any of that add up to "the biggest CES ever for HD-DVD"
You would have thought they would have been pushing thier supporters to back them up & was the 51G TL disc vaporware or did they find out it would not play on any current players so they hid it?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: utah
Posts: 18
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Your kidding right?
They still had nothing there, besides canceling the press conference there was no support shown by sugar daddy Microsoft, No 51G TL disc, No xbox built in player & a deserted pavilion.
How would any of that add up to "the biggest CES ever for HD-DVD"
You would have thought they would have been pushing thier supporters to back them up & was the 51G TL disc vaporware or did they find out it would not play on any current players so they hid it?
You obviously haven't researched what was happening going into ces.. you can call it FUD, or you can call it whatever you want but it's odd that several reliable sources say that hd dvd had a homerun lined up for hd dvd and sony and fox crashed the party. Say what you want about how this info has come to light, but it has made the rounds and IMO is reality.
TheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #18
Super Member
 
TheMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma (Go Sooners!!)
Posts: 1,243
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
You obviously haven't researched what was happening going into ces.. you can call it FUD, or you can call it whatever you want but it's odd that several reliable sources say that hd dvd had a homerun lined up for hd dvd and sony and fox crashed the party. Say what you want about how this info has come to light, but it has made the rounds and IMO is reality.
Then why after getting the WB news did they not come out fighting with this "home run"?
It just sounds like spin to me because if they really did have some big thing happening now is the time to run it out!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After Winning the Format War, Blu-rays Future Looks Bright Ken S Blu-ray Players 1 03-14-2008 08:53 AM
The War is Over!!! Blu-Ray is the Format to Beat Now. Bam Bam Blu-ray Software 16 02-25-2008 04:44 PM
HD DVD wins the format war! kennyt HD DVD Software & Hardware 12 12-02-2007 11:34 AM
Expect Two Winners in the HD Disc Format War AVRevForum.com Discuss AVRev.com News 37 10-17-2007 05:51 PM
HD Disc Format War Heats Up For The Fall AVRevForum.com Discuss AVRev.com News 13 08-31-2007 02:05 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1