Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 01-29-2008   #169

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Not so much!
This is for the same week as your hardware link.
I don't think those pie charts mean anything at all. The real important number is total software numbers sold. They're both PATHETIC.

Again all WB has done is killed HD-DVD sales and done nothing for BD.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Well we should all know which Studio(s) it is fairly shortly. Look for the Wall Street Journal and others to be discussing the Studio(s) and MS fairly soon. It won't mention HD-DVD but I'm sure everyone will be able to read between the lines.

It's going to happen. The real question is:

Does Universal announce BD support tomorrow?

If so it's all over.

If not then they're waiting it out. Will HD-DVD be able to do enough to survive before the 3rd Studio?
Studio(s)??? Again, killin' me! lol

Well one would hope that if HD DVD has something this big waiting in the wings that they could hold on to Universal until it happens.

I would tend to think that as long as Graffeo is still the head honcho there that nothing will change. If we see reports of Graffeo "stepping down", then something's about to happen.

Last edited by kkozma; 01-29-2008 at 05:05 PM..
kkozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #171

In my opinion only Universal will be the very last studio to jump on board. They could have ended this before it even started. They were the only studio not supporting bluray before the formats launched. They chose not too. Paramount and Dreamworks will be jumping on board sooner than Universal. They must really be ****ed from the lawsuits Sony filed against them in the 80's from the Betamax issues.

According to Bill Hunt the BDA doesn't find the VC1 hddvd encodes Universal had done acceptable and wants most of the films reencoded which will be very expensive if they are not allowed to do portovers. Apparently the BDA has never seen HOFD, Hitch, 50 1st Dates, Vertical Limit, XXX, Tears of the Sun, Invincible, Basic Instinct 2, etc.

I have watched these films in MPEG-2 and only Flyboys semi impressed me. I hate to blame the codec but but with Flyboys it was running at 24 mbps which is needed for MPEG-2 to look good. After reading the generally good transfer reviews of Vertical Limit I was amazed how much it looked like an upconverted dvd and how soft and undetailed the picture was.

With additional studio support the TL-51 and Twin format disc will become a reality. Toshiba consumer support has already confirmed 2nd gen players will require only a firmware upgrade to play TL-51's. Hopefully SL-17's and DL-34's hit the market as well.

If Ken Graffeo is fired worry! As long as he stays in charge they will give hddvd every last shot.

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 01-29-2008 at 05:03 PM..
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Well we should all know which Studio(s) it is fairly shortly. Look for the Wall Street Journal and others to be discussing the Studio(s) and MS fairly soon. It won't mention HD-DVD but I'm sure everyone will be able to read between the lines.

It's going to happen.
I hate to say it, but announcing support for xbox live and hddvd are two different things. Unless microsoft is buying the studio(s).
Old 01-29-2008   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
What is the difference between the NPD numbers and the Neilsen ones?
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #174

They went from 7% to 34%. Gosh thats a 5 fold increase. Gee in another 2 weeks hddvd will have won the war if these numbers hold. Just kidding, but you can see the idiot logic everyone clung to using the week 2 sales declaring hddvd was dead.
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom