Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 01-25-2008   #127

Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
This weeks software numbers are 83% Blu-Ray & 17% HD-DVD with the top 10 all Blu-Ray, it doesn't look like the lower prices on players helped.
What do you mean, that’s 2% more than last week!

Seriously though, I don’t think anyone was expecting a massive jump in weekly software sales, especially with no new releases, not even new catalog titles. But Toshiba is reporting a jump in sales which is a good step. Nothing would help HD DVD more than announcing additional studio support; I hope they are working on it.
1more4HDDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #128

Looks like retailers are spreading the word about Warner.

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-F...WQE11GQ7K7PC29

Then they also point you to the Warner titles that will eventually go away.

This is when you begin to realize the scope of the announcement.
Over 150 titles that will no longer be available.

The question becomes will HD-DVD owners get them while they last?
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Interesting viewpoints.

I personally feel that the "format war" categorization is legitimized by one thing and one thing only: consumer perception.

If consumers worry about "getting stuck with the wrong format", then there's a format war.

If they don't worry then there's no format war.

Consumers worried about "getting stuck with the wrong format" with SACD/DVD-A, Beta/VHS, and now HD DVD/BD. Those are format wars.

The didn't worry about getting stuck with the "wrong format" between CD or Cassette, Laserdisc or VHS, Cable or Satellite TV. Those are not format wars and those formats coexist (probably because they satisfy different market needs).

Of course, the background market reasons that would affect consumer fears may be the context that you're detailing in your comments. And that may be right. But the final litmus test for me is simple: are consumers worried about getting stuck with the wrong format? Yes=Format War. No=No war.
EXACTLY!

IF the Studios came out and said "Ok we'll back BOTH formate for YEARS and have no plans of leaving one behind," then consumers would purchase both and in much greater numbers than with BD "Winning."
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #130

http://www.videobusiness.com/article....html?nid=3511

It seems with the format war HD player sales are ahead of the most successful consumer format of all time. It would be a real kick in the balls to bluray if these sales decrease throughout the year compared to where dvd was.

My prediction for next Xmas is again the cheapest bluray player is $299 just like last Xmas. We have already seen obsolete player prices go back up to $399.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #131

Well Circuit City may think the format war is over.
They have clearance prices on HD-DVD players!
A30 for 149.99
A3 for $100.04

With no 4th generation player announced could this mean that CC is getting out of HD-DVD sales?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman View Post
The question becomes will HD-DVD owners get them while they last?
If they're smart, they will, but only at low prices. Ebay has been great the past two weeks. No way I could have imagined building a true HD movie collection for an average of $13 per title shipped! Warner's announcement has been a boon to my enjoyment of HD media. Regardless of what happens next, I will be enjoying these movies and many more for years to come.

Maybe a few more blows in this war to create even more value for consumers. Hopefully HD DVD will last long enough for Blu-ray players to come to final 2.0 spec at a reasonable price.
jpcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom