Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008   #109
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 272
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Bill Hunt is paid by the BDA.
Prove that.



Quote:
I'm PRO-CONSUMER. This is a huge difference. I'm really tired of you implying other things when they are far from the truth. I'm sorry I argued with dobyblue because that has now labelled me as pro-HD-DVD. I'm Pro-Dual Format if anything. I see no reason why two can't survive together.
In the long term, two formats are not good for the consumer as it blocks any real mass adoption of either format and thereby studio support and HD releases suffer. Is this point still being debated?
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #110
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: utah
Posts: 18
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Prove that.





In the long term, two formats are not good for the consumer as it blocks any real mass adoption of either format and thereby studio support and HD releases suffer. Is this point still being debated?
David,

To be honest, why do you always haveto come off as such a clown?? Why are you still getting all upset when your baby bluray is in such a good position?? What will you do when you can't roam around these boards picking on the hd dvd folk?? Bill Hunt will even tell you he has ties to bda companies. He doesn't deny it. He doesn't deny getting incentives either but he won't say what!?!? and do you blame him? My question to you is have you always been like this?? When it was about 50/50 you were in more of an understanding nature, but since the wb news you have acted like a child. Kick the man when he's down type of attitude. Frankly, I think it's pathetic! I'm just being honest, as I see no point in your argumentative tone. Why now?? Why not before when there was an actual war to talk about? You won, good for you. Now be a good sport, ay!
TheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #111
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Prove that.
Go to his website. Look at the advertisement from the BDA. I don't know many people who claim that blogging is a hobby and they aren't a journalist site that have advertising. Plus he gets inside information to make him sound better and get more visitors to make him more money.

Quote:
In the long term, two formats are not good for the consumer as it blocks any real mass adoption of either format and thereby studio support and HD releases suffer. Is this point still being debated?
This has been disproven through out the history of marketing. Currently we have STUDIOS fighting a war not consumers. Consumers are ****ED. That is why they aren't buying. If both sides could shake hands and give up their "exclusive Studio," nonsense then HDM would take off like a rocket. The problem is the BDA is convinced they'd lose market share because Consumers generally pick the less expensive alternative.

It's also why BD backers keep repeating that mantra of "two formats keeps consumers from investing," because those backers hate to be in 2nd which is just dumb.

Bottom line it takes the same equipment to get the desired effect from either format. So the only thing keeping consumers from buying is the WAR being fought by Toshiba, Sony, and the Studios.

If there was Universal Studio support on both sides you'd see about 5M HD-DVD players in homes by the end of the year and 2.5M BD players.

BD wouldn't "Lose," it would just be 2nd best in sales. It would never "die," and the people who think they're getting better PQ and SQ can buy it.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #112
Super Member
 
TheMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma (Go Sooners!!)
Posts: 1,243
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
This has been disproven through out the history of marketing. Currently we have STUDIOS fighting a war not consumers. Consumers are ****ED. That is why they aren't buying. If both sides could shake hands and give up their "exclusive Studio," nonsense then HDM would take off like a rocket. The problem is the BDA is convinced they'd lose market share because Consumers generally pick the less expensive alternative.

It's also why BD backers keep repeating that mantra of "two formats keeps consumers from investing," because those backers hate to be in 2nd which is just dumb.

Bottom line it takes the same equipment to get the desired effect from either format. So the only thing keeping consumers from buying is the WAR being fought by Toshiba, Sony, and the Studios.

If there was Universal Studio support on both sides you'd see about 5M HD-DVD players in homes by the end of the year and 2.5M BD players.

BD wouldn't "Lose," it would just be 2nd best in sales. It would never "die," and the people who think they're getting better PQ and SQ can buy it.
Well I disagree completely!
Consumers aren't P****D, They are letting the studios fight the war for them!
Face it, people at forums like this are for the most part the only consumers or "soldiers" in this war, we are in the front lines & many have chosen a side, most people I know that have HDM are not neutral, they have chosen a side.
90%+ of the people don't care who wins, but they are waiting until someone wins before they choose a side, that's why they aren't buying.

HD-DVD backers keep saying two formats can survive because they are afraid of losing & being stuck with obsolete players & media & would rather HDM die instead of HD-DVD lose & that's just selfish & spiteful.

People that know me know I'm "in to home theater" & ask me for advice on home theater gear.
Many of them have been to my house & seen my setup & have gotten themselves a HDTV but when the conversation turns to HDM it's not which one do I pick but who is going to win because I'm not buying until there is a winner & honestly even though they really like the way Blu-Ray movies look on my system I recomend to most of my friends that they do wait until there is a clear winner before investing in HDM.

The fact is the studios will choose the winner & no amount of whining will change that fact, that's just the way it is, and let's be real here, that's not such a bad thing, consumers chose the inferior VHS format because it was cheaper, the better quality format lost when the consumers chose the winner.

2 formats will kill HDM period, even if all the studios supported both formats people still would still think there was a war & stay away in droves.
The 2 format thing worked out really well for DVD-A & SACD didn't it.

VHS thrived after winning the war even though it wasn't the best format, HDM will have at least a chance to thrive if the war is ended soon, so all the HD-DVD fanbois & Sony haters that think Blu-Ray doesn't deserve to win for whatever reason feel free to go & wait for your compressed downloads with DD audio, the rest of us will enjoy 1080p & lossless audio.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #113
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 117
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Huh, a few things Bill Hunt must have forgot to mention when he posted his post-Warner NPD pie charts:
-------------------------
“Sharp Blu-ray players accounted for over 30% of sales, as they were offered free to buyers of the company's LCD televisions.”

“Sony -- also accounting for one-third of sales -- had a similar $400-off deal for Blu-ray players when buying a Sony HDTV.”

“Panasonic, like Sharp, offered a free Blu-ray player and made up for the remaining third of units sold.”

“NPD's numbers do not include online sales from the likes of Amazon, where Toshiba's HD-A3 HD DVD player is the number one seller in the DVD player category and number 14 in all of electronics. By contrast, standalone Blu-ray players do not make the electronics list.”

http://www.betanews.com/article/prin...nth/1201203983
-------------------------

Last edited by 1more4HDDVD; 01-24-2008 at 04:07 PM..
1more4HDDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #114
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Consumers aren't P****D, They are letting the studios fight the war for them! Face it, people at forums like this are for the most part the only consumers or "soldiers" in this war, we are in the front lines & many have chosen a side, most people I know that have HDM are not neutral, they have chosen a side.
Except you're wrong. Consumers have been asked what their opinion is. Over 50% said they were "Upset," with the war and the majority said "Yes," when asked if they would prefer it if Studios backed both sides. Why do you think WB was neutral for so long?

Quote:
HD-DVD backers keep saying two formats can survive because they are afraid of losing & being stuck with obsolete players & media
Where as you and your BD ilk say they want one format and a war because you know you'd "lose" if there was equal support.

Quote:
& would rather HDM die instead of HD-DVD lose & that's just selfish & spiteful.
Yes that would be if it was true. It however isn't true. The majority may hold ill will towards the BDA but it's because of the WAR they fought not the war the consumers wanted.

Quote:
The fact is the studios will choose the winner & no amount of whining will change that fact, that's just the way it is, and let's be real here, that's not such a bad thing, consumers chose the inferior VHS format because it was cheaper, the better quality format lost when the consumers chose the winner.
For consumers VHS may have been the right choice. It was less expensive and had the ability to store more data on it. For home use VHS made more sense.

Quote:
2 formats will kill HDM period, even if all the studios supported both formats people still would still think there was a war & stay away in droves.
This is an uneducated opinion. What makes you think that? All consumers want to hear is that there will be support no matter which side they choose. If they're given that security they will buy. Anyone who says 2 formats can't survive is ignoring the past 100 years of the global marketplace.

Quote:
The 2 format thing worked out really well for DVD-A & SACD didn't it.
Not a good example at all. That was another format war where lack of universal support was the killer.

Quote:
VHS thrived after winning the war even though it wasn't the best format, HDM will have at least a chance to thrive if the war is ended soon, so all the HD-DVD fanbois & Sony haters that think Blu-Ray doesn't deserve to win for whatever reason feel free to go & wait for your compressed downloads with DD audio, the rest of us will enjoy 1080p & lossless audio.
Quit calling people names to justify your opinion it makes you sound like an uneducated bigot. Those people are consumers that made the best decision for them based on their income, etc. They aren't "Fanbois," or "Sony Haters," but real people who more than likely couldn't justify spending more money when what they spent may have been too much for them anyway. Your attitude towards these consumers is selfish and spiteful exactly what you blame them of.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After Winning the Format War, Blu-ray’s Future Looks Bright Ken S Blu-ray Players 1 03-14-2008 09:53 AM
The War is Over!!! Blu-Ray is the Format to Beat Now. Bam Bam Blu-ray Software 16 02-25-2008 05:44 PM
HD DVD wins the format war! kennyt HD DVD Software & Hardware 12 12-02-2007 12:34 PM
Expect Two Winners in the HD Disc Format War AVRevForum.com Discuss AVRev.com News 37 10-17-2007 06:51 PM
HD Disc Format War Heats Up For The Fall AVRevForum.com Discuss AVRev.com News 13 08-31-2007 03:05 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1