Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008   #103
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 117
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
The numbers though are from the NPD Group.
OK, if the HD DVD Promotional Group would have taken the numbers from the week of Wal-martís $98 sale, a pie chart would look something like 95% HD DVD vs. 5% Blu-ray.

These pie charts are specifically from a period when Blu-ray cut prices to $300 through the Warner announcement. They donít include all of the 4th quarter 2007 and they end right before Toshibaís recent price cuts.

Yes, this selective time period looks very good for Blu-ray. HD DVD sales have rebounded since the price cuts however.

Last edited by 1more4HDDVD; 01-22-2008 at 09:22 AM..
1more4HDDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #104
Super Member
 
TheMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma (Go Sooners!!)
Posts: 1,243
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post
OK, if the HD DVD Promotional Group would have taken the numbers from the week of Wal-martís $98 sale, a pie chart would look something like 95% HD DVD vs. 5% Blu-ray.
Are you seriously comparing the HD-DVD promotional groups spin to the NPD groups market research?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post
Yes, this selective time period looks very good for Blu-ray. HD DVD sales have rebounded since the price cuts however.
And where are your numbers & where do they come from?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #105
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 117
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Are you seriously comparing the HD-DVD promotional groups spin to the NPD groups market research?

And where are your numbers & where do they come from?
Bill Hunt, part of the BDAís promotional team, is using NPD numbers. I was saying if the HD DVD PR Group took NPD numbers for that one week (Wal-mart $98 week), the pie charts would have been impressive and lopsided in favor of HD DVD. All Iím saying is that the data from one select period of time can be misleading.

I donít have official numbers for last week, Iím not sure they are out yet. Based on online rankings and retail reports though, I am hearing reports of quite a nice sales bump for HD DVD since the price cuts.

Last edited by 1more4HDDVD; 01-22-2008 at 11:13 AM..
1more4HDDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #106
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
You can't be serious!
I have my own personal experience with Sony. They buy movie tickets on opening weekend to help movies gain popularity. They create fake quotes from fake reviewers to hype films. They eventually get caught. Sony has lied so often to the NPD about sales through SonyStyle it's pretty much common practice. They also lie repeatedly about number of units shipped for just about everything. Sony unfortunately has been caught doing the above. So it makes some of these rumors easy to swallow.

Quote:
The numbers though are from the NPD Group.
Right but the opinions are from Bill Hunt. He's about as honest as a snake oil salesman. Someone else already pointed out that his $200 price difference was poor reporting.

Let's take a look at his claim about Universal going Blue. He said it came from the highest source possible (or something along those lines) then admits that he was unable to talk to anyone at Universal including Ken Gaffeo about the issue.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #107
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 272
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Lotus,

given your own bias, are we to compare Bill's "snake oil" to your own?

At least Bill honestly states his pro-Blu agenda (as do I). Anyone reading his comments is therefore welcome to interpret his words accordingly. Unlike some other posters who clearly favor a pro-HD DVD agenda yet pretend otherwise.

Quote:
Right but the opinions are from Bill Hunt. He's about as honest as a snake oil salesman. Someone else already pointed out that his $200 price difference was poor reporting.
He said "on average" there was a $200 price difference. Do you disagree? Yes, it would have been meaningful to also compare the lowest-cost HD DVD against the lowest-cost BD option, but those aren't the only two players selling in good numbers. We can discuss how poor the HD DVD camp's hardware reporting is every time they leave out the largest pool of hardware being used to play high-definition media: the PS3.


Quote:
Let's take a look at his claim about Universal going Blue. He said it came from the highest source possible (or something along those lines) then admits that he was unable to talk to anyone at Universal including Ken Gaffeo about the issue.
Or maybe his "highest source" was a member of the BDA with first-hand information about the discussions with Universal.

Quote:
These pie charts are specifically from a period when Blu-ray cut prices to $300 through the Warner announcement. They donít include all of the 4th quarter 2007 and they end right before Toshibaís recent price cuts.

Yes, this selective time period looks very good for Blu-ray. HD DVD sales have rebounded since the price cuts however.
Curious given how most HD DVD enthusiasts over at HTF were complaining that BD-hardware prices actually ROSE after the Warner announcement since there was "less compeition" (the reason put forth by HD DVD voices) in the market to help keep them down.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 01-22-2008 at 10:03 PM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #108
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: HD Disc Format War Not Over By a Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Lotus,

given your own bias, are we to compare Bill's "snake oil" to your own?

At least Bill honestly states his pro-Blu agenda. Anyone reading his comments is therefore welcome to interpret his words accordingly. Unlike some other posters (such as you) who clearly favor a pro-HD DVD agenda yet pretend otherwise.
Please prove your statement. Prove to me I favor a Pro-HD DVD agenda. Otherwise stop it. Seriously it is extremely rude of you to keep saying you know how I think/feel when you don't know me. You claim I worked for Toshiba, etc.

I'm PRO-CONSUMER. This is a huge difference. I'm really tired of you implying other things when they are far from the truth. I'm sorry I argued with dobyblue because that has now labelled me as pro-HD-DVD. I'm Pro-Dual Format if anything. I see no reason why two can't survive together. I own both and have owned more BD players than even Kenny here when you get down to it.

Bill Hunt is paid by the BDA. Your defense of him using the BDA as his source is a joke. I have no doubt that is his source. If things were reversed and WB had picked HD-DVD I wouldn't be pointing to HD-DVD bloggers who get their info from the HD DVD PRG as being a good source of info either.

Also "$200 on average," is flat out a lie. I think you'd find on average it would be around $75 if not $50. Bill took good data that pretty much spoke for itself and spun it to mean more than it did.

I'm all for HD-DVD making a comeback if it can force the white flag between the two camps. Which it would. If HD-DVD does get a Studio change soon it will lead to the two camps making a deal.

I don't want the 1M set top owners on either side to be hurt by the stupidity of the Studios fighting this extremely DUMB war.

However the HDM market has benefited from HD-DVD. Without it you'd have possibly not had the big turn around in PQ from BD or BD 2.0.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
441, audio, blu, bluray, combined, disc, discs, fight, format, hd, japan, khz, not, ray, shoot, supported, video, wwwreapscasecom

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After Winning the Format War, Blu-rayís Future Looks Bright Ken S Blu-ray Players 1 03-14-2008 09:53 AM
The War is Over!!! Blu-Ray is the Format to Beat Now. Bam Bam Blu-ray Software 16 02-25-2008 05:44 PM
HD DVD wins the format war! kennyt HD DVD Software & Hardware 12 12-02-2007 12:34 PM
Expect Two Winners in the HD Disc Format War AVRevForum.com Discuss AVRev.com News 37 10-17-2007 06:51 PM
HD Disc Format War Heats Up For The Fall AVRevForum.com Discuss AVRev.com News 13 08-31-2007 03:05 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1