Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Discuss AVRev.com News (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news-10/)
-   -   Chip-makerís Delays Cause Home Theater Industry Woes Late in 2007 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news/1377-chip-maker-s-delays-cause-home-theater-industry-woes-late-2007-a.html)

AVRevForum.com 01-03-2008 03:43 PM

Chip-makerís Delays Cause Home Theater Industry Woes Late in 2007

Unless you are Onkyo and you are using a Texas Instruments based receiver platform and chipset, it's likely there was a little Scrooge in your Christmas. With the advent of HDMI 1.3-based formats like HD DVD and Blu-ray, complete with their copy protection and advanced surround sound formats, consumers are looking for new receivers to control their cutting edge home theater systems. However, the store shelves this holiday season are bare.

The reason for the shortage in fully functional HDMI 1.3-based receivers is delays in one of the most popular chipsets from Cirrus Logic that was promised for a March 2007 delivery. It was then reportedly redesigned after CEDIA 2007 in September with a promised (and missed) release date of December 2007. Multiple sources tell AVRev.com that the new chip from Cirrus Logic is far better with the post-CEDIA changes. Specifically, the chip is more simple and more stable, yet consumers struggle to understand why they canít find an effective HDMI 1.3 solution for their home theater systems.

The Consumer Electronics Association refused this past fall to allow 1080p video to flow through analog component video cables, which would have kept this market shortfall from happening. Hollywood studios simply have too much say with the CEA when it comes to copy protection, thus consumers still struggle through clunky and intermittent functionality via HDMI and poorly implemented HDCP copy protection. This leaves millions of potential clients on the sidelines. And it is not just for receivers, but also for HD DVD and Blu-ray players as well as new HDTVs to go along with them.

The one cable connectivity of HDMI is of major significance, but the failures of copy protection has made HDMI a hated term with many consumers, installers and salespeople alike. Imagine a world where your Blu-ray player only took one cable plugged into your receiver with the highest level of video and audio performance, and one more cable went from your receiver to your HDTV. Thatís simple to the level where uncommissioned Best Buy and Circuit City salespeople could actually embrace the complexities of todayís home theater technologies without worrying about the dreaded consumer return. Just like an Apple iMac has "A plug into B and B into C", home theaters have the potential to have the same level of simplicity.

To get to one cable fits (and works with) all connectivity, it's likely going to take the widespread release of this Cirrus Logic chip, as well as some improved updates to the HDCP copy protection via HDMI. OEM manufacturers of some of the worldís best receivers and AV preamps say that they expect these changes by late March or early April 2008 and not much later. Consumers are tired of waiting for the promise of simple connectivity. They will accept copy protection but not at the expense of the functionality of their entire system, which is the value proposition that the CEA and the Hollywood studios are forcing down throats for the past year of the HD disc format war.

by: Jerry Del Colliano

deacongreg 01-03-2008 03:56 PM

Re: Chip-makerís Delays Cause Home Theater Industry Woes Late in 2007

Well Jerry, that is it, simplicity. We have all this technology, and can not get it to work properly. You know what KISS stands for. The AV industry needs to really follow that.

kennyt 01-03-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVRevForum.com (Post 8747)
Imagine a world where your Blu-ray player only took one cable plugged into your receiver with the highest level of video and audio performance, and one more cable went from your receiver to your HDTV.

by: Jerry Del Colliano

Jerry,

I couldn't agree more!

I just ripped my main rig totally apart and redid it after building the new racks. I told my wife while doing it how I couldn't imagine how high def formats would ever take off when they are as complicated as my system. Until J6P can connect one cord from each source to his receiver and then TV, it will fail.

I have been doing this for years and am a high fi geek to be sure, but I was even daunted by the task of redoing my HT!

Fortunately for me, I have been doing this for a while and it will went well, every thing worked perfectly (except i forgot to power the sub) on my first attempt! Not bad considering the complexity of my system, ten components, two HDMI switchers, remote, power system.....

Robinson_A 01-03-2008 05:27 PM

I dread tearing my system apart, which I seem to do every two to three weeks. That's right every two to three weeks. Who says being a reviewer is easy or glamorous. Every time a receiver shows up or processor or anything other than a DVD player for that matter I have to redo almost everything. Once I'm done there's that moment before I hit power where I have to close my eyes and hope everything works.

faberryman 01-03-2008 05:33 PM

Why do the studios think consumers are going to copy BD and HD discs through the component video outputs? Does anyone know of a consumer or computer device that accepts component video inputs? The high volume pirates are going to copy the discs digitally and mass replicate them. It's just stupid.

Lotus 01-03-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faberryman (Post 8772)
Why do the studios think consumers are going to copy BD and HD discs through the component video outputs? Does anyone know of a consumer or computer device that accepts component video inputs? The high volume pirates are going to copy the discs digitally and mass replicate them. It's just stupid.

Well in all honesty the Studios have to care because the US government doesn't seem to care.

They're more worried about those nasty Pot smokers and dealers rather than the people who actually steal and thus hurt a lot of people.