Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 01-20-2008   #31

Default Re: Study Shows "Non-Audiophiles" Can't Hear Difference Between 64 and 256 kbps MP3 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I was reading the new issues of the print mags and I think it was Stereophile did a test like this and the listeners were almost always correct, even to 320kbps.

I guess it depends on who you test.

I was walking into the hospital the other day and actually saw a crowd of people sitting around listening to what I can only assume was MP3 over the speakerphone of a cell and jammin' to it! I suspect these people have no idea what good sound is nor would they be able to tell it from bad!
If you educate the listeners on what to listen for generally over 80% will pick the higher bitrate. The thing is telling people what to listen for. Most people don't know good sound compared to bad and just think bass is the answer.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #32
Super Moderator

Default Re: Study Shows "Non-Audiophiles" Can't Hear Difference Between 64 and 256 kbps MP3 F

My wife and I owned a pair of Acuras (and I gave my TL type S to my daughter for a graduation present). The Bose sound systems within tham are the most dissapointing peices of equipment in otherwise exceptional vehicles. The integration with the other parts of the car electronics and crazy speaker cut-outs also make it difficult to find a good replacement.

At one point I tried to find something that will replace them, but I've been disenchanted with the aftermarket stuff I've seen lately - head units with all kinds of flashing displays and too many chicklet buttons, but not built to last, and frankly don't sound good.

Speakers that are made to appear rather than sound good, etc. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places though. The last time I was satisfied with a car system, I hand picked the amplifers, designed the interfaces between them and the other components (that were not made to work together), hand selected all drivers, broke them in individually, watching the FAR lower over time with an SA, and when it stopped moving down I designed, built and tuned the enclosures and crossover networks myself to make the best use of them when installed in the vehicle. I don't think I have the patience to go through that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'm sorry but I've sat in an Acura. It doesn't make for a good sound system.

Cars are about base and clarity with little thought towards sound stage and imaging.

I used to agree and think Bose was "pretty good," for cars but then I sat in a Volvo and heard the Dynaudio system they had. It actually sounded good.

That experience totally changed my opinion of Bose and made me realise that the only reason Bose was considered decent in cars was that the competition wasn't as serious as in home stereo.

Last edited by kloneman; 01-21-2008 at 11:55 PM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #33

I'm curious whether you're talking about Bose in the Acura TL...they didn't supply the head unit or speakers...in fact, they had nothing to do with the TL system. It was provided by Panasonic in conjunction with Elliot Scheiner, a very prominent recording engineer.

I have a 2005 Acura TL with the Panasonic ELS system. It is a very good system and is laudable for the ability to play 5.1 DVD-Audio titles. I listen to my recordings (AIX Records) in it constantly. It is very good...much better than virtually all other systems.

As for the Acura RL, the higher end car model, the automotive division of Bose did provide the design for that system AND it is amazing! AIX produced a custom DVD-Audio demonstration disc for inclusion in those cars and I get emails regularly about how impressive the system is...owners had no idea that music could sound that good.

AIX has also provided demonstration tracks to Nissan and is in production of another disc for Infiniti...

There are lots of automotive companies embracing surround music...and Bose is doing a fantastic job in the cars.
Dr. AIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post
I listen to my recordings (AIX Records) in it constantly. AIX produced a custom DVD-Audio demonstration disc for inclusion in those cars and
Yeah you lost your credibility right there. You're tied to the system so why should we believe we're getting an honest response?

Cars have yet to come close to a good $2000 home stereo setup let alone an audiophile quality setup. The exception being the Dynaudio Volvo units. Those are definately close to $2000 home stereo units.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Yeah you lost your credibility right there. You're tied to the system so why should we believe we're getting an honest response?

Cars have yet to come close to a good $2000 home stereo setup let alone an audiophile quality setup. The exception being the Dynaudio Volvo units. Those are definately close to $2000 home stereo units.
Bose sucks for HT (which we all should already know this), so you know the car stuff really sucks. I got stuck with it in my Mercedes. It is tied into the Navigation, radio, cd player . . .

The closest I've seen for OEM car audio that was worth something was the Mark Levinson audio option in Lexus, and even still, $5k for it seemed steep.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #36
Super Moderator

My 2002 TL type S had an "Acura Bose" souncd system. The head, amps and speakers were ALL SUPPLIED BY BOSE. The same was true of the sound system in my wifes 2002 MDX, both of which are connected to the onboard GPS system. As rlpii noted, both of them sound terrible - no real top, and definitely no bottom. My wife doesn't care, but I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. AIX View Post
I'm curious whether you're talking about Bose in the Acura TL...they didn't supply the head unit or speakers...in fact, they had nothing to do with the TL system. It was provided by Panasonic in conjunction with Elliot Scheiner, a very prominent recording engineer.

I have a 2005 Acura TL with the Panasonic ELS system. It is a very good system and is laudable for the ability to play 5.1 DVD-Audio titles. I listen to my recordings (AIX Records) in it constantly. It is very good...much better than virtually all other systems.

As for the Acura RL, the higher end car model, the automotive division of Bose did provide the design for that system AND it is amazing! AIX produced a custom DVD-Audio demonstration disc for inclusion in those cars and I get emails regularly about how impressive the system is...owners had no idea that music could sound that good.

AIX has also provided demonstration tracks to Nissan and is in production of another disc for Infiniti...

There are lots of automotive companies embracing surround music...and Bose is doing a fantastic job in the cars.

Last edited by kloneman; 01-23-2008 at 07:34 PM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
256, 320, audiophile, bright, cd, definition, differenc, difference, ear, ebetween, formats, hear, human, kbps, mp3