Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 11-30-2007   #7

Default Re: Retiring Baby Boomers Fuel Two-Channel - Sales Surge in 2007

Jerry, and the rest of you have said an awful lot. I don`t really no what is going to happen, but, I would say, looking and what most people are doing, the i-pod generation will continue to grow.
The only hope I really see, is with companies like Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, and Yamaha continuing to make great home theater receivers at reasonable price points, that those into the surround sound craze, once they have their HD DVD or Blu-Ray player and hear what it sounds like, maybe this will peak their interest in high res audio. Playing also their i-pods thru these i-pod decks (even Krell has one!!) on their receivers, may help also.
Its a long shot, but it certainly would be easier if we did not have two camps fighting each other. That just delays any type of progress we are looking to acheive.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #8

As a Gen-Xer, I can only comment on my friends and my younger compatriots. I would say the Gen-Xers are split 40/60 as to whether they care about having a good TV and good speakers. Once they have good speakers, you can at least make the audio argument that they might want good sources to feed to the speakers.

However, as you know, there are sooo many entertainment options and only so much money to go around.

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile as I don't have golden ears but I rip my CDs to FLAC and stream them to various systems while converting to 192kbps preset-extreme for my ipod. I've heard the various arguments against ipods but I think they do the job for mobile systems where the noisefloor is much higher.

I'm certainly getting off the topic but the argument I would make is that the delivery mechanism needs to be streamlined substantially. Gen X-ers and Y's etc want to buy it online and in electronic format (not CD).

I will make this point again as it seems to be lost on the older generation of music executives. We want to buy it online and in electronic format (without DRM crap).

At this moment, I cannot buy the latest Alicia Keys in FLAC or even Apple Lossless. If I want it, I have to hit Bittorrent or maybe AllofMP3 and take my chances on the quality of their rip. A studio generated rip in a high level of quality for a fair price of $5-7 would just stream money out of my pocket. I would buy sooo much music if the price were fair and the convenience was high. But I don't want it to be a quality step lower than CD, it should be higher quality and cheaper.

It's not like I can't get it illegally. I can and do. But I want to buy it legally in good quality. Currently I buy lots of CDs but every time I do, I want to kill the music industry (not the musicians) for screwing me. I hit Bittorrent to try and minimize the screwing I receive.

How can an industry survive that makes me hate them every time I buy their product? The moment a better option comes out, I will jump ship. Something on a larger scale like what Radiohead and Trent Reznor did has a strong chance of working for me. A store with the well-known artists that I listen to, that gives the money directly to them and the digital download directly to me, will get my business especially if the price is fair and not a relic of a time that no longer exists.

I'm not even sure the Baby Boomers are in control of this snafu. I think it is the generation prior. All I ask, is please retire and get out of our way. We know what we want and are willing to pay for it. You just haven't figured out what it is and seem to be under the impression that we are thieves. We aren't thieves, we just hate being screwed. We perfectly understand the economic realities of the digital economy.

Apologies for my diatribe
jotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotham View Post
We know what we want and are willing to pay for it. You just haven't figured out what it is and seem to be under the impression that we are thieves. We aren't thieves, we just hate being screwed. We perfectly understand the economic realities of the digital economy.

Apologies for my diatribe
No you're a thief. You download illegal content and thus are breaking the law. You're stealing money.

I won't argue that you're feeling forced to steal because the music studios are ripping you off. I admit the labels are doing this to themselves.

But look at Radiohead. They say "pay what you think it's worth," and they do it right. Did people pay? Nope. Most took it for free and ran.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #10

Thanks, I appreciate the considered response.

It's possible that some folks listened to Radiohead and decided it wasn't their cup of tea. Many, many times, I pay $15 for a CD and find out it has one good song on it if I'm lucky.

I went to Bittorrent to download some music that I thought I might like. I liked about 25-50% of it and went and purchased the CDs. The rest, I haven't listened to but I figured I would give some of it another try and see if it might be more to my taste the second time around.

Perhaps I'm an anomaly in that I'm willing to purchase music I already have but I don't necessarily think so. I do feel that paying $12-15 a CD is still a ripoff but I don't have much of a choice morally.

I'm trying to explain one person's purchasing psychology (myself) and you're attacking my morality. Please feel free to contact the RIAA and reference this post so you can complete my impression of your worth.

I purchase approx 90 CDs per year so I believe I've paid my dues to this debate.
Old 11-30-2007   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotham View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the considered response.

It's possible that some folks listened to Radiohead and decided it wasn't their cup of tea. Many, many times, I pay $15 for a CD and find out it has one good song on it if I'm lucky.

I went to Bittorrent to download some music that I thought I might like. I liked about 25-50% of it and went and purchased the CDs. The rest, I haven't listened to but I figured I would give some of it another try and see if it might be more to my taste the second time around.

Perhaps I'm an anomaly in that I'm willing to purchase music I already have but I don't necessarily think so. I do feel that paying $12-15 a CD is still a ripoff but I don't have much of a choice morally.

I'm trying to explain one person's purchasing psychology (myself) and you're attacking my morality. Please feel free to contact the RIAA and reference this post so you can complete my impression of your worth.

I purchase approx 90 CDs per year so I believe I've paid my dues to this debate.

I understand the philosophy, but the Radiohead project kind of proved that while a good idea in concept it ended up showing what cheap skates people are.

I believe that anything over $9 for a CD is unjust.

However if you steal something you're still stealing. You can try and justify it all you want, but the only reason you do it is that it is easy. Don't fool yourself into thinking because it's so easy to not get caught that you're doing anything but stealing.

Would you steal the CD off the rack at Best Buy?

Your actions are more like the kids who used to record songs of the radio onto tapes. Sure they'd buy a tape (then CD) later, but recording them off a broadcast is fine. It's a fine line, but it is a line you've crossed.

I'm all for songs being downloaded that only last say 30 days while people figure out if it's worth owning. I think some places have already started that.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #12

30 day trials for music coupled with $9 CDs would be great. I haven't experienced it yet for the artists I listen to. Amazon has previews of songs but I don't think it is long enough or good enough for me to tell whether I like it.

You're completely right, it is easy to steal.

My big concern with Radiohead is probably the same as yours. I worry that few seemed to pay for it. I also greatly wonder if Radiohead still made more money than usual from the few who did because of the elimination of the middleman. For obvious reasons, they seem to be keeping their cards close to their chest.

I paid for the Saul Williams direct CD partially because of a friend's recommendation and partially to support the business model.

Given the incredible ease of stealing coupled with the ridiculous prices of CDs and flawed distribution model, I worry that a younger generation of listeners is being trained to steal 100% of the time. Gen X remembers paying for CDs. Gen Y barely remembers it. The younger ones will probably never use a CD and will only pay for music if their vast network doesn't already have it.

What I would like to do is come to a shared vision of the future that fuses convenience of purchase, low prices, greater volume of purchases and larger percentages to the artists. Lastly, it needs to be technologically realistic the way that DRM is not. This the discussion that i would hope the media companies are having.
Sponsored Links

Tags
audiophile, baby, boomer, boomers, c360, campaigns, early, elac, failed, gen, ipod, location, marketing, museatex, popular, turntable