Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Discuss AVRev.com News (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news-10/)
-   -   Theta Digital Sold to ATI (http://www.avrev.com/forum/discuss-avrev-com-news/1104-theta-digital-sold-ati.html)

AVRevForum.com 11-19-2007 01:22 PM

Theta Digital Sold to ATI

Theta Digital Sold to ATI
By Jerry Del Colliano
November 19, 2007

Audiophile brand, Theta Digital, has been sold to Amplifier Technologies Incorporated last week. Theta Digital is best known for their ground-breaking CD and Laserdisc transports from the late 1980ís and early 1990ís as well as introducing one of the first high end AV preamps in their pricey Casablanca component. ATI sells very well regarded amplifier products but is best known as an OEM partner for some of the larger electronics companies in the audio-video business.

In an increasingly complex home theater market ATI brings the development money that Theta will need to compete as a high end player even when compared with todayís $1,000 receivers. Even the top electronics companies struggle to get the latest processors and chipsets to perform the latest AV trickery like HDMI 1.3 switching and high resolution surround sound processing from HD DVD and Blu-ray.

Lotus 11-19-2007 01:28 PM

Re: Theta Digital Sold to ATI

Wow.

This was obviously needed. Theta announced some gear what two years ago that never saw the light of day?

I still think their Casablanca line of Pre-Pros are some of the best sounding gear out there. I love how configurable they are too. Some truly great equipment. Their amps aren't that bad either. Still their Pro-Pro and DACs were magical.

I hope this means we may get some Theta brilliance back in the marketplace.

deacongreg 11-19-2007 01:49 PM

Jerry, it truly is amazing to me though, that that higher end companies, can not either design or make, or get these new chipsets, before a company like Onkyo. But, receivers may be the new component of choice for flexibility, ease of use, and simplicity.

One component, to run your home theater, audio, and tv. This will bring more potential high end customers to the market place. As long, as we stop doing things like this war. Then, everyone can prosper.

kennyt 11-19-2007 02:08 PM

This doesn't surprise me, Theta dumped their Enterprise Mono blocks for like $5K a pair of late, that seemed weird to me, the sale now seems to make sense out of that move.

deacongreg 11-19-2007 02:48 PM

It ought to be interesting to see now what ATI does, with this acquistion.

lemahar3 11-21-2007 07:05 PM

Hopefully, this is great news and that best of Theta products will survive. I met Neil Sinclair during the period that he owned a high-end audio salon in Orange County. Theta always built outstanding industry leading products, with the Casablanca the flagship. It deserves to continue and constantly improve.