Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 11-18-2007   #37

Default Re: AVRev.com has lost its Cred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Threads like this cause this forum to lose credibility. Can we have a rationale discussion about a topic like this without wild speculation, sensationalized editorializing, and taking things grossly out of context? Is this Fox news or a respectable journal? The content of your post is largely balanced but your wording of your topic header is reckless and smells of adolescent-debate tactics.

Of course these comments by Sony's CEO are pointed and worthy of good discussion. There's good fodder for some good debate in there. But to try to suggest from them that Sony is abandoning Blu-ray is not only ridiculous, its irresponsible journalism. Let's try to preserves some sense of integrity on this site, shall we?

-----

Dave,

Are you sure you mean what you say?

Put the headline aside or call it Fox News-like if you must but you clearly know the difference between AVRev.com and the rest of the other AV publications out there - right?

Let's start with audited readerships. AVRev.com (according to IM Services Group) in June of 2006 had 650,371 total monthly readers (532,000 unique). That is more audited readers than the print versions of Sound _ Vision, Home Theater Mag and Stereophile COMBINED. That doesn't mention UNAUDITED publications and web properties in the market who you should really be directing your "cred" issues at.

Wanna compare my reference system with other editors. I don't make this point to brag as much as to show that I live and invest deeply to walk the walk and talk the talk of an ULTRA-HIGH-END, HD format driven, installed theater and home automation system. Can the editors of other publications and webzines say that? Add in the reference systems of my editorial staff to the argument (see Andrew Robinson and Ken Taraszka's systems for examples) and you will see my point. We LIVE HD. We live high end audio. We live home automation...

That brings be back to the forum. The IDEA of the forum is for debate. Unlike Gingrich Neo-con politics - I think there is a place for civil debate in this world. If you want to fight - look up www.AVSForum.com and go there. There are a bunch of guys looking to make small talk and throw around insults. If you want to have YOUR SAY with the editors and publisher of the largest audited home theater publication in the world - welcome to AVRevForum.com. That is our goal - no matter if you think a headline is salacious or not. The conversation is better here.
Excellent post sir, as a person in the HD-DVD camp - I can't but help give Blu-ray its props! Like I've said before - if Blu-ray would come down to a price point that I can afford (and it has for a PC combo player) I would buy it. Speaking of your reference systems - Man! I can only imagine having stuff like that. I look at some of the systems here and it makes me "ashamed" (for lack of a better term) to show mine! Don't get me wrong - I'm happy with my system and content - but if any of you wanted to feel charitable I would gladly accept (it doesn't hurt to ask)! Your systems are just fabulos! Mine is very dynamic, but you guys are in another league - that's one of the reasons I'm proud to be a part of this forum!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #38

Default Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray?

We want to SEE your system.

There is NOTHING to be ashamed of.

If everyone was "done" with their system - all of the specialty stores should close down now.

j
Old 11-18-2007   #39

Smile Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray?

Quote:

If everyone was "done" with their system - all of the specialty stores should close down now.

j
I'll post a picture of it tomorrow!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #40

Default Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray? NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv46 View Post
It would be nice if the two could come together in some way, however, i would dought that they would deep six the better of the two formats which is really blu ray. Having both formats in my home, they are both identical in picture quality and audio quality, but lately some of the studios have nixed lossless audio on hddvd i guess because of space limitations. This has aggravated me to the point of hoping that the two could somehow put it together so we all could stop picking sides and just enjoy hd, and do it soon!
They will never merge, and Sony will never abandon BD.

So whatever they're trying to do has to allow both to co-exist peacefully.

I think the only way that can happen is Studio Neutrality. BD has a big enough base right now, and brand name recognition that by the time neutrality became reality they could have prices down to be very competitive. Then they can see if their better specs would win.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #41

Default Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray?

Quote:

j
Jerry I couldn't agree more!

Scary thing is I do not consider my system 'done' and likely never will!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #42

Default Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray? NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
They will never merge, and Sony will never abandon BD.

So whatever they're trying to do has to allow both to co-exist peacefully.

I think the only way that can happen is Studio Neutrality. BD has a big enough base right now, and brand name recognition that by the time neutrality became reality they could have prices down to be very competitive. Then they can see if their better specs would win.
I don't know what the answer is, but it seems silly to have both formats, stores and studios having to release two types of HD discs just seems to be a PITA for both of them, but this may be the closest we come to an end to the format 'war'.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
abandoning, blu, promotion, pull, ray, sony, vidio