Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 11-17-2007   #31

Default Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray?

Quote:
Ok, you're right. Toshiba signs his checks so he is going to lie about what he helped develop? What makes more sense, that Toshiba designs a disc to work with their current technology, gets it approved, and has Studios working on titles for it, with one preparing to show some titles at CES, or that Toshiba designed a disc that would make all previous models obsolete and put it into production?
I agree that the 51G should work in the old units, it would be a stupid move on Toshiba's part if they did not.
You think the places that are saying they won't work are lying or just spreading rumors but your saying they will work because some guy told you they would is no different.

Quote:
I can't think of any other way to describe them. Perhaps I should refer to them as a Lemming? When this was the BD DL discs I thought the people spreading the same type of rumors were idiots. So if someone does the same thing for the other format, I'm also going to think of them as idiots. No real reason has been given that an extra layer won't work just fine.
well if your going to call people idiots don't get offended if they say the same about you.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
Once AGAIN I have no problem with 51GB HD-DVDs nor have I said that I did, so I don't know why you keep going back to this point since I have never said anything to the contrary, it doesn't make you look very smart.
You called me a name quoting the bit about defending the fact that the 51GB discs appear to be in the works and not incompatible. You also mistook someone else's words for mine.

Quote:
But since you mention this perhaps until consumers have playable 51GB HD-DVDs in their hands you should henceforth call them vaporware.
Duh. It is vaporware. However it did get approved by the DVD Forum and they are planning on showcasing 34GB and 51GB discs at CES.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
I agree that the 51G should work in the old units, it would be a stupid move on Toshiba's part if they did not. You think the places that are saying they won't work are lying or just spreading rumors but your saying they will work because some guy told you they would is no different.
It's just the same crap as the HD DVD jerks who said that BD DL wouldn't work. It's negative propaganda because they fear losing one of their "edges." Which is really stupid, about the only thing BD has ever had that was something they should have been proud of was bandwidth. More data with less compression means possible better picture.

Then again maybe the reason some have a problem with 51GB discs is that he knows that Disney stated that "storage," was the primary reason they were sticking to BD only, and that if BD loses that edge then Disney would have no reason to not go neutral.

Officially we won't know anything until CES.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #34

Quote:
That is our goal - no matter if you think a headline is salacious or not. The conversation is better here.
I didn't say that the credibility of your journal or your reviews is in question. I said that such a salaciouis and obviously sensationalizing thread header calls into question the credibility of this *forum* especially when it's created by a memeber of its moderating staff. And it does, despite the other fine attributes you list.

If you value the respect that these other attributes have earned you and your site/publication in other regards, then I suggest you extend the same balance and excellence to your choice of thread-headers to continue that tradition here in the forum and be careful to avoid presenting topics in an exaggerated fashion to spurn contrived debate.

Debate is fine when it's balanced discussion about legitimate topics based on reasonable information. Suggesting that Sony is about to drop Blu-ray is about as far from those criteria as a thread-starter can possibly get, no matter who she or he may happen to be.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 11-18-2007 at 11:46 AM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007   #35

An awful lot of people think Sony WILL pull the plug on Blu-ray. In my peice, I suggested otherwise.

I stand by the headline.
Old 11-18-2007   #36

Default Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray? NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
No one is taking anything he is saying out of context. The man went from declaring victory to calling it a "stalemate," referred to the race as "doesn't mean as much as all that." Declared that even if they lose they still have the PS3.

When has Howard Stringer or Sony ever said anything close to that? Never. Obviously Sony "cares," but they went from declaring victory to mentioning stalemate. I'm sorry but that is news and it's not taken out of context at all.
It would be nice if the two could come together in some way, however, i would dought that they would deep six the better of the two formats which is really blu ray. Having both formats in my home, they are both identical in picture quality and audio quality, but lately some of the studios have nixed lossless audio on hddvd i guess because of space limitations. This has aggravated me to the point of hoping that the two could somehow put it together so we all could stop picking sides and just enjoy hd, and do it soon!
merv46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
abandoning, blu, promotion, pull, ray, sony, vidio