Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 11-16-2007   #7

Default Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray? NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
No one is taking anything he is saying out of context. The man went from declaring victory to calling it a "stalemate," referred to the race as "doesn't mean as much as all that." Declared that even if they lose they still have the PS3.

When has Howard Stringer or Sony ever said anything close to that? Never. Obviously Sony "cares," but they went from declaring victory to mentioning stalemate. I'm sorry but that is news and it's not taken out of context at all.
I can't believe all you see, if you actually read it completely, is stalemate out of everything he said. And yes most news sites are taking this way out of context,saying :Is Sony ready to throw in the towel? and other ridiculous things like that . Did he say boy we are at a stalemate and there is nothing left to do? No he says "We have a SORT of stalemate AT THE MOMENT. As you know, they had fewer studios, but then they paid a lot of money for Paramount. So we have four studios and they have two or three studios. It's a difficult... it's a difficult fight."

Then most of the rest of the interview was about how much better Blu-Ray is and how much support it enjoys. Finally that they were playing nice but now the gloves are off.
akbungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #8

Default Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray?

Honestly Jerry Del Colliano,

Threads like this cause this forum to lose credibility. Can we have a rationale discussion about a topic like this without wild speculation, sesationalized editorializing, and taking things grossly out of context? Is this Fox news or a respectable journal? The content of your post is largely balanaced but your wording of your topic header is wreckless and smells of adolescent-debate tactics.

Of course these comments by Sony's CEO are pointed and worthy of good discussion. There's good fodder for some good debate in there. But to try to suggest from them that Sony is abandoning Blu-ray is not only rediculious, its irresponsible journalism. Let's try to preserves some sense of integrity on this site, shall we?

Quote:
No one is taking anything he is saying out of context. The man went from declaring victory to calling it a "stalemate," referred to the race as "doesn't mean as much as all that." Declared that even if they lose they still have the PS3.

When has Howard Stringer or Sony ever said anything close to that? Never. Obviously Sony "cares," but they went from declaring victory to mentioning stalemate. I'm sorry but that is news and it's not taken out of context at all.
While I do have a problem with this thread's header, I don't have a problem with these comments by Lotus. I agree that there's a profound shift in "strategy" by these latest comments from Sony's CEO. However, I think this is more about appearances than about Sony "pulling the plug" on Blu-ray.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 11-16-2007 at 08:07 AM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #9

I'm sorry, Lotus, you are wrong. The "stalemate" quote is taken out of context. This is why everywhere you see it the only word from the whole paragraph quoted is "stalemate."

The context of the "stalemate" quote was in packaged media.

Quote:
Oddly, the studios kind of liked it for a while. They were able to leverage one of us against each other. But in the end, it's counterproductive. We have a sort of stalemate at the moment. As you know, they had fewer studios, but then they paid a lot of money for Paramount. So we have four studios and they have two or three studios. It's a difficult... it's a difficult fight.
Basically he's saying the fight over studio support is a stalemate. HD DVD isn't going to gain anymore studios right now, and Blu-ray isn't going to gain anymore studios right now. That's a stalemate.

Nowhere in the entire interview does he say they're ready to pack up and go home.

When he gets to the bottom of that paragraph he's switched to the "digital future" which is more than just packaged media.

But Stringer is obviously not very knowledgeable about the formats entirely because he said the PS3 would need a different disc drive, which is wrong.

He goes on to talk optimistically about the benefits of Blu-ray and the advantages it has over HD DVD.

Nowhere in the entire interview does he say they are going to drop Blu-ray. It's foolish and cruel to attribute that rumor to this one word out of an entire interview.
glocksout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #10

Default Re: Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray? NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
I can't believe all you see, if you actually read it completely, is stalemate out of everything he said. And yes most news sites are taking this way out of context,saying :Is Sony ready to throw in the towel? and other ridiculous things like that . Did he say boy we are at a stalemate and there is nothing left to do? No he says "We have a SORT of stalemate AT THE MOMENT. As you know, they had fewer studios, but then they paid a lot of money for Paramount. So we have four studios and they have two or three studios. It's a difficult... it's a difficult fight."

Then most of the rest of the interview was about how much better Blu-Ray is and how much support it enjoys. Finally that they were playing nice but now the gloves are off.
My God, you people look for anything you can to start a fight. He is talking about the war, then says "stalemate," then follows it up with what he thinks put it in a stale mate. Then he says the war isn't that important, that Sony is more interested in Software sales (for their Studio). He also mentions that the PS3 will still be around.

He then shows he has little understanding of Blu-Ray saying things like 6 hours of movies over bandwidth...

What he is personally doing behind the scenes as I type this has nothing to do with taking gloves off.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocksout View Post
I'm sorry, Lotus, you are wrong. The "stalemate" quote is taken out of context. This is why everywhere you see it the only word from the whole paragraph quoted is "stalemate."

The context of the "stalemate" quote was in packaged media.

Basically he's saying the fight over studio support is a stalemate. HD DVD isn't going to gain anymore studios right now, and Blu-ray isn't going to gain anymore studios right now. That's a stalemate.

Nowhere in the entire interview does he say they're ready to pack up and go home.

When he gets to the bottom of that paragraph he's switched to the "digital future" which is more than just packaged media.

But Stringer is obviously not very knowledgeable about the formats entirely because he said the PS3 would need a different disc drive, which is wrong.

He goes on to talk optimistically about the benefits of Blu-ray and the advantages it has over HD DVD.

Nowhere in the entire interview does he say they are going to drop Blu-ray. It's foolish and cruel to attribute that rumor to this one word out of an entire interview.
No he was talking about the war in general with the quote. The PS3 still being around, the war not being all that important, etc. was not all about packaged media.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
No he was talking about the war in general with the quote. The PS3 still being around, the war not being all that important, etc. was not all about packaged media.
I guess we can argue back and forth, but we'll all just be guessing unless Stringer clarifies what he meant. But why people have to pull one word out of an entire interview and create all kinds of rumors about it is a ridiculous thing to do.

I don't believe he was talking about the war in general as the context for that "stalemate" word was packaged media.
glocksout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
abandoning, blu, promotion, pull, ray, sony, vidio