Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 08-18-2007   #43

Smile Re: J Rock!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I love this.

I have never even heard of J-Rock.

This is so great.

The purpose of this excercize was to get people thinking about music in passionate ways and it seems to have worked. Since the original article posted in late June of 2006, it has been a top page view element of the site.

REST ASSURED - we are NOT DONE with this topic.
Speaking of great bands not many have heard of - where's Blodwyn Pig?
LouisVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #44

Default Re: J Rock!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVA View Post
Speaking of great bands not many have heard of - where's Blodwyn Pig?
But where would they rank in the all-time listings?

Mick Abrahams has a pretty loyal following, as the guitar-playing founder of Blodwyn Pig.

But he is better known as the guy who left Jethro Tull after their first album, because he didn't like Ian Anderson's push for a new musical direction... which then evolved without him, in the form of Benefit, Aqualung and Thick as a Brick (plus their enormously successful concert tours.)

Do you honestly feel that Blodwyn Pig's album holds up to the music that Jethro Tull released AFTER Mick left the band??

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #45

Talking Re: J Rock!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
But where would they rank in the all-time listings?

Mick Abrahams has a pretty loyal following, as the guitar-playing founder of Blodwyn Pig.

But he is better known as the guy who left Jethro Tull after their first album, because he didn't like Ian Anderson's push for a new musical direction... which then evolved without him, in the form of Benefit, Aqualung and Thick as a Brick (plus their enormously successful concert tours.)

Do you honestly feel that Blodwyn Pig's album holds up to the music that Jethro Tull released AFTER Mick left the band??

DD
Hi David,
And thanks for your response. As to where I would rank Blodwyn Pig that is a rough one <smile>. But no, I definitely would not rank them above Tull. I do have to question some of the rankings such as Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine, Black Eyed Peas, The Jackson Five, and The Carpenters for instance. Part of this I would readily admit is my own personal bias. People tend to stick with what they liked when they were in their teens and twenties and I am older than dirt (that would explain STP, Rage, and the Black Eyed Peas). The J5 and Carpenters, whew, I guess I just don't think of them as being very ground breaking. I love seeing some of the stuff on here that informed my eclectic musical taste, eg. Deep Purple, Kansas, The Kinks, Steely Dan, and Zappa. Then once again I guess I am showing my age as there are some that I have never heard of - No Doubt, Orbital, Underworld, and The Orb. I have been living under a musical rock since 1980 with a few exceptions. IMHO, the golden decade of rock was 1965 - 1975. One of the more interesting lists that I have seen, however. Sure beats the hatchet job from Rolling Stone Mag.
LouisVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #46

Default Re: This top 100 band list is BOGUS - RUSH lower than STP?

Oh my! You should introduce him to Jeff Wayne's musical version of it, it's much better than the movie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Man, you are so right. Congratulations to you about your daughter. That is good to hear. My daughter from my first marriage is aspiring to be a concert violist. I could not be happier. Though, she never heard me play, I`m just so proud and surprised that this is what she is pursuing. Currently she tours with the all state Westchester County Orchestra, and teaches young children music. I always wondered, if I went to Music and Art in Manhattan, instead of De Witt Clinton in high school, where I would be now.

Well, I hope your daughter continues to move forward in music, and enjoys it. The I - pod. I`ve kinda took a deaf ear to it. However, I must say, if anything, its a great archival tool. If we had something like the I - pod coming up, all our music would be stored on it. They all seem to be more concerned about how many songs they have on the I - pod. Not for listening of course, but just to say I have more than you. I see him changing tunes everyday, Why?

And as far as losing the whole experience in buying music, you are so right.
I do not know where you live, or how well you know N.Y. but, Tower Records, an institution here in New york, just recently closed its doors. No more talking to knowledgeable staff who love and KNOW their music. No more excitement, like you said, about looking at the liner notes, artwork, etc. on the LP. What, can I tell you. Nothing is important or sacred, anymore.
Check this, I asked my stepson`s friend, if he knew, that there was an original "War Of The Worlds" movie, his answer was no!! What does that tell you??!!
j.arend-denko@adelphia.ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #47

Any rock band worth their salt knows this one important rule: never go on after a japanese rock band! Those guys are just that good, they'll blow you away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saki View Post
HEAR ME OUT BEFORE YOU DISMISS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY

Though I am quite happy with the top 100 list and couldn't agree more with most of the top bands, something still must be said. Am I the only one who knows about the existence of Asian rock bands (specifically Japanese bands, commonly referred to as "Jrock" bands) that deserve to be on this list? Patricularly "X Japan". They're considered to be one of the greatest rock bands that ever existed in Japan. Their songs written in both Japanese AND English. I may be 100% American, but even I can admit that they really are amazing and deserve to be at least taken into consideration by the judges. It really is a shame; sadly, Japan seems to import more music than they export, so that would explain why most people havn't heard about some of these great rock/metal bands. I just have to stick up for what I know is great talent and music which deserves recognition.

X Japan was formed in 1982 under the name "X", but changed the name later to avoid confusion with an American punk band of the same name. They disbanded in 1997, and sadly, their lead guitarist, Hide, died in 1998... but the band actually announced a reunion July 4th, 2007. (Which, on a side note, had me literally dancing with joy when there were rumors heard of a U.S. tour being planned, which is plausible considering their drummer/band leader now lives in L.A.)

In 1993 they released a single entitled "Art of Life" which particularly blows my mind. It's widely considered to be the "Stairway to Heaven" of Japan. It's 29 minutes long, is entirely in English (for those of you who aren't open-minded enough to appreciate lyrics not in your native tounge), and is definitely one of the most amazing songs I have ever heard in my life. It was performed live only twice, but there is footage from one of those lives that I've seen. Watching and listening to it leaves me completely awe-struck.

I can go on and on... but hopefully I've already peaked someone's interest enough that I don't have to. I strongly feel "X Japan" could have ranked strongly with these "top 100 bands" in every single catagory but one...U.S. sales...heh, oh well. Though they have made plenty of international sales, for the most part, import CD and DVD costs are too expensive. Maybe after their reunion tour they can release here in the U.S under another lable...I'll remain hopeful.

For anyone interested enough to check them out, here's the wikipedia page about the band.
X Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look up and try to get your hands on some of their songs or albums. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
j.arend-denko@adelphia.ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #48

I am very open to many genres. Music is more than a hobby to me and i don't just listen to music i "know" music. I like to study the history and influence about the bands and artists i am listening to. Now this list has obviously been composed by a small demographic or maybe even one person for that matter who is trying to lead us on with the fact that it has some kind of hard statistical basis. Okay because im nice im going to lay it out for you all and give you some nice musical insight. And by the way you know a list is bull**** when the beatles are #2 and LED ZEPPELIN number #2. Sry to break the news but coming from a guitar player of 20 years Jimmy Page is not close to being the best. Jimi Hendrix will and will always be the greatest guitar player of all time. Thank god we have YOUTUBE to verify this.

The person or persons who made this list were right in making "live performance" a determining factor in making the list however they gave the longest touring live band of all time, The Grateful Dead. They also put the ****ing ROLLING STONES at #20. The rolling stones a band that could compete with the beatles at #20? below stone temple pilotes and ****ing metalicca. MEtalicca can blow me. LET ME MAKE ONE THING CLEAR SALES ARE NOT T

Here is a much more ACCURATE LIST:

1: THE BEATLES
2: THE ROLLING STONES
3: THE GRATEFUL DEAD
4: CREAM
5: THE ALLMAN BROTHERS
6: JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE ( THE GUITARIST WAS MUCH MORE INFLUENTIAL THEN THE BAND ENTITY)
7: LED ZEPPELIN
8: PINK FLOYD
9: BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS
10: THE DOORS
11: NIRVANA
12: THE WHO
13: BLACK SABBATH
14: CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
15: JANIS JOPLIN AND BIG BROTHER AND THE HOLDING COMPANY
16: U2
17:The RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
18: CROSBY STILL, NASH AND YOUNG
19: THE BAND
20: THE BEACH BOYS
21: THE TEMPTATIONS
22: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND
23: LYNARD SKYNARD
24: BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD
25: BUDDY HOLLY AND THE CRICKETS
26: VAN HALEN
27: THE ZOMBIES
28: DAVID BOWIE AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS
29: THE EAGLES
30: TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS
30: THE TALKING HEADS
31: BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND
32: THE POLICE
33: PAUL MCARTENY AND WINGS
35: THE CLASH
36: AEROSMITH
37: THE RAMONES
38: PEARL JAM
39: EARTH, WIND AND FIRE
39: PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC
40: RADIOHEAD
41 STEVE MILLER BAND
42: ROXY MUSIC
43: PHISH
44: JETHRO TULL
45: R.E.M.
46: ZZ TOP
47: YES
48: THE YARDBIRDS
49: FLEETWOOD MAC
50: BOSTON

OKAY THERE YOU GO TOP 50........I GOT TIRED AT 50 SRY I COULDNT GO ALL THE WAY>...... THIS IS A MUCH BETTER LIST THAN THE OLD ONE
wharfrat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, 40s, artists, band, bands, influence, japan, japanese, list, location, metal, performance, rock, rush, songs, top