Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 07-20-2007   #31

Default Re: This top 100 band list is BOGUS - RUSH lower than STP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
j.arend - denko,

That is a very nice cut. Are their any artists you can recommend to me for good music? I primarily listen to jazz (standard, modern, contemporary and cool) soul, some classical, gospel, and stuff like Chicago, Traffic, Jimi, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Rare earth, Santana, you get the picture.
I love the works of Chicago and I am a huge fan. Have you ever listened to any of Rick Wakeman's solo albums? I could listen to him all day long. Obviously I like Yes, but I'm also very into Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, and the early Moody Blues when Justin and John joined the group was some very astonishing stuff, not just hippy guru music.
j.arend-denko@adelphia.ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arend-denko@adelphia.ne View Post
I love the works of Chicago and I am a huge fan. Have you ever listened to any of Rick Wakeman's solo albums? I could listen to him all day long. Obviously I like Yes, but I'm also very into Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, and the early Moody Blues when Justin and John joined the group was some very astonishing stuff, not just hippy guru music.
6 wives of henry the 8th, brain salad surgery, pictures at an exhibition, tarkus, in search of the lost chord and to our children's children,s children are all wonderful works of art. Particular albums by king crimson, steve hiliage, chick corea, al dimeola and jean luc ponty who incidentally came from the mothers of invention are all in the same feel.
eltabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007   #33

Smile Re: This top 100 band list is BOGUS - RUSH lower than STP?

j.arend - denko,

Actually no, I have not heard any of Rick`s work. What can you recommend to me, that you think I would like? Yes, early Chicago was excellent. My godfather worked at Carnegie Hall, for a period of time here in New York. He got me tickets to see them. A great show. And thats when I find out, that they were a great band. I played alto and tenor sax in junior high, high school, and college. So, I`m partial to horns and strings.

Anyone, with the right engineers, can sound really good in the studio. The test, is always live.

I had a friend back in my teen years, that turned me on to a Emerson, Lake, and Palmer lp. I liked it a lot, but do not remember the title. Same thing with Yes. I guess now I`ll never know.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007   #34

Smile Re: This top 100 band list is BOGUS - RUSH lower than STP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltabor View Post
6 wives of henry the 8th, brain salad surgery, pictures at an exhibition, tarkus, in search of the lost chord and to our children's children,s children are all wonderful works of art. Particular albums by king crimson, steve hiliage, chick corea, al dimeola and jean luc ponty who incidentally came from the mothers of invention are all in the same feel.
Well, someone truly listens to some real music. Return To Forever, Stanley Clarke, Al Dimeola, David Sancious, Wendell Irvine, George Duke(before the Duke/Clarke project) are all people I love. Now Jean - Luc Ponty, has got to be one of the baddest musicians out there. I never thought, he got the acclaim he should have. But, that is always true, for jazz artists anyway. Unless they have crossover success like George Benson, when he started doing more singing, and less playing.
And eltabor, why is there a limited amount of high rez dvd-a, sacds with artists like this!!
Thats, what I want to know. This is music to preserve and cherish. I saw Jean, live some years ago, down at the Pier in the summer here in New York. Superb. Dr. AIX should re-consider.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
j.arend - denko,

Actually no, I have not heard any of Rick`s work. What can you recommend to me, that you think I would like? Yes, early Chicago was excellent. My godfather worked at Carnegie Hall, for a period of time here in New York. He got me tickets to see them. A great show. And thats when I find out, that they were a great band. I played alto and tenor sax in junior high, high school, and college. So, I`m partial to horns and strings.

Anyone, with the right engineers, can sound really good in the studio. The test, is always live.

I had a friend back in my teen years, that turned me on to a Emerson, Lake, and Palmer lp. I liked it a lot, but do not remember the title. Same thing with Yes. I guess now I`ll never know.
As someone else mentioned there is Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry Vlll, also his Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, and also White Rock. Keep in mind the last one was written for a movie soundtrack of the Innsbruck Winter Games. He is a genius, and not to be missed.
j.arend-denko@adelphia.ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #36
jbk

Quite: "Well, someone truly listens to some real music. Return To Forever, Stanley Clarke, Al Dimeola, David Sancious, Wendell Irvine, George Duke(before the Duke/Clarke project) are all people I love. Now Jean - Luc Ponty, has got to be one of the baddest musicians out there. I never thought, he got the acclaim he should have. But, that is always true, for jazz artists anyway. Unless they have crossover success like George Benson, when he started doing more singing, and less playing."

It seems that Jazz has taken a back set to rock since the mid 1950's. I think this is because many rock songs reflect some relevant feeling(s) or message(s) that a generation relates to in some way. The songs in some way capture how we felt.. for example "I saw her standing there," "I can't get no Satisfaction," "I ain't got you," "Communication Break Down." They had a message that they could relate to at the time. Our parent could never understand us, right?! I remember sitting around with my friend listening to music. More on this later.

Jazz vocals and Jazz don't provide that connection for example: John Coltrane and Johnny Hartmann which not many teens or pre teens will be caught dead listening to under any conditions. How many of the rockers would appreciate Patricia Barber or Diana Krull? Peel Me a grape, french me a fry....

As for Jazz, I love it. My first jazz album was "Bitches Brew!" Some way to start becoming interested in Jazz. Then there was The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Coltrane, Methany, Benson, DiMeola, Evans.

Today, I buy blues and jazz recordings to fill in my collection of vinyl and cds. My daughters see me just sitting and listening to my music. They tell me that I'm the only person they know that just sits and listens to music!!! For them, music is sonic wall paper or back ground noise.

Today's music listeners have become the iPod generation. Sonic wall paper and low resolution music. I'm concerned that the music industry and technology have killed of much of the creativity in music and high resolution recording. Jazz is and will remain a niche market.

I don't believe that we will ever see a music transformation like we did in the 60's to early 70's for rock music. Groups like the Yardbirds, Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, Mayall were due to Blues music being discovered and repacked. Forty years from now will disco and metal be repackaged?

As always your thoughts would be appreciated..

jbk
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, 40s, artists, band, bands, influence, japan, japanese, list, location, metal, performance, rock, rush, songs, top