Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 10-01-2007   #55

Default Re: This top 100 band list is BOGUS - RUSH lower than STP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Well Jerry, I don`t know what the criteria is for this list, but if I had to choose from quality songs, top hits, perform very well live in concert (I`ve seen them years ago at Carnegie Hall here in New York), it would have to be "Chicago." One of the best horn sections put together. The only other two horn sections that would rival them would be, of course, "Tower of Power' and "Earth, Wind, and Fire". And these two groups, especially Earth, are classic in their own rights.

------

I put some Tower of Power in my playlist and find their songwriting to be WAY below that of Chicago or more relevant to the discussion - Earth Wind and Fire. Earth Wind and Fire were an INCREDIBLE band! Killer harmonies, tons of hit songs that pass the test of time. Compare them with Coldplay and Brittney Spears and hold back the vomit.
Old 10-01-2007   #56

yeah, tower of power has a good sound, but weak songs.
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #57

Post Re: This top 100 band list is BOGUS - RUSH lower than STP?

Overall, it looks to be a decent list. It seems many acts made it due to popularity. But this should in NO WAY reflect a popularity contest so nix the record sales category. Rush definitely deserves to be there at 14 or better. What impresses me the most is Zeppelin is #1 as they should.
Of course there are bands here that have no business being in a top 100 of ANYTHING (Prince, Soundgarden, Allman Bros., Guns and Roses, Pearl Jam, Dixie Chicks, STP ) sheesh, and those are in the top 50 !!?? What about UFO ? The Damned ? Alice Cooper ?
One band that was not mentioned for understandable reasons (fairly new band) that EASILY should place in the top 20 - The Muse
furyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #58

Angry Re: This top 100 band list is BOGUS - RUSH lower than STP?

"Of course there are bands here that have no business being in a top 100 of
ANYTHING (Prince, Soundgarden, Allman Bros., Guns and Roses, Pearl Jam,
Dixie Chicks, STP ) sheesh, and those are in the top 50 !!?? What about
UFO ? The Damned ? Alice Cooper ?" furyroad

Of course the comment above means that anything you write further on the subject will not be taken seriously.
narcoticprayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #59

Walk on a street corner in any major city in the world and ask 100 perople to name a song by each of the three bands you mentioned and the best you MIGHT get is "school's out" by Alice Cooper.

Go to ANY sporting event in America and find me one that doesn't play "Welcome To The Jungle".

Ask that same group of 100 to name a prince song.

Ask them if they have heard of the Dixie Chicks

Point made
Old 10-04-2007   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
------

I put some Tower of Power in my playlist and find their songwriting to be WAY below that of Chicago or more relevant to the discussion - Earth Wind and Fire. Earth Wind and Fire were an INCREDIBLE band! Killer harmonies, tons of hit songs that pass the test of time. Compare them with Coldplay and Brittney Spears and hold back the vomit.
Yeah, you are right. And, I agree with you on Tower of Powers writing. Brittney neeeds some real psychological help. And her kids are with her ex now?? I`m not sure how good that is either!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100, 40s, artists, band, bands, influence, japan, japanese, list, location, metal, performance, rock, rush, songs, top