Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Discuss AVRev.com News

Discuss AVRev.com News Post your opinions on the latest news from the pages of AVRev.com.

Old 11-08-2007   #1
Administrator

Default Popular Home Theater Forumís HD DVD and Blu-ray Sections Shutdown as Debates Overheat

AVSForum.com, known as the first popular user forum for home theater topics, and the founder of the ďhome theater cruiseĒ, has temporarily shut down both its HD DVD and Blu-ray sections. The cause for the shut down, according to a statement on the AVS site, is the debate over the merits of each format crossing the line into physical threats and potential legal or criminal action for some of the users of the tech savvy site.

The AVS Forum was unresponsive at the time of publication. Their public statement said they would not be responding to private messages on the topic and that the site supports both the HD DVD and Blu-ray formats.

This eruption of emotions comes the week following HD DVD dumping the price of their players to below $100. Reportedly, over 90,000 players sold in one weekend, and big-box retailers like Best Buy are filling backorders now with even more expensive players to keep early adopters happy Ė and buying discs.

Sources:
Engadgethd.com, AVSForum.com
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #2

Default Re: Popular Home Theater Forumís HD DVD and Blu-ray Sections Shutdown as Debates Over

The fanboy trolling crap is nothing new over there, it doesn't matter what it is, TV's AVR's Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD, Xbox vs Playstation it doesn't matter there are screaming idiots all over that site.
It's a big reason I've been spending more time here.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #3

Default Re: Popular Home Theater Forumís HD DVD and Blu-ray Sections Shutdown as Debates Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
The fanboy trolling crap is nothing new over there, it doesn't matter what it is, TV's AVR's Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD, Xbox vs Playstation it doesn't matter there are screaming idiots all over that site. It's a big reason I've been spending more time here.
Fully agree, some of the folks there don't seem to have any tolerance at all for those who don't readily agree with their point(s) of view. Too bad as it's been a valuable resource for lots of HT enthusiasts and I used to enjoy reading and posting there.
Old 11-08-2007   #4

I first started there when I was researching what TV to buy, I quickly found out you have to disregard the highest praise & the lowest bashing & just kind of look at the middle ground.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #5

I can understand a certain level of frustration surrounding the format war but at the end of the day we're all in this hobby for our own reasons and for our own enjoyment. When you loose sight of that I feel you have lost sight of what's great about HT and Forums such as this. We're all friends just trying to help one another get the most out of their experiences with HT and to hell with how you go about it just so long as you enjoy yourself. Death threats over HD anything is just unneccessary.

I'm glad everyone here at the AVRevforum have their own unique views but I'm even more happy to know that we can all keep it cool and enjoyable in the process. Continue to enjoy everyone.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #6

I have been to AVS many times, and have found some solid information, but it is interspersed amongst crap. when you add in how horrible the search function is on that site and those obnoxious colors schemes they have I just can't deal with it.

Andrew,

You are right! I can't even understand threats and such in a forum? Why? Do you really want to fight (and risk the felony charges for it) over a difference of opinion????

It just seems so eight grade to me.....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, classik, forum, forums, foums, home, hometheaterforum, linn, movie, overheating, popular, problem, ray, shutting, theater