Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cables (http://www.avrev.com/forum/cables-5/)
-   -   Are cables the weak link in your system? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/cables/611-cables-weak-link-your-system.html)

JerryDelColliano 09-01-2007 05:28 PM

Are cables the weak link in your system?

I know two TOP engineers in the AV industry (one considered one of the BIGGEST legends of all time) who use Radio Shack stock cable when designing gear.

They don't belive in good cable and I belive them to be crazy at least on that level.

All it takes is a little time listening to hear the difference. What's right or wrong isn't THAT important. Just like if you LIKE a wine but it is "oaky" or "bricky" doesn't mean its bad. All that's important is YOU like it.

More importantly - high end cables (not even expensive ones) make better connections for your gear. Weak connections cause problems and lose performance. Its that simple.

TheMoose 09-01-2007 09:30 PM

Re: Are cables the weak link in your system?

Well since 90% (my guesstimate) of the people will only use the cables that comes with the equipment they buy maybe it's not a bad idea, it's just for the wrong reason (not believing in better cables).
If the gear they are designing sounds good with the radio shack cables there is less chance of a return when it sounds like crap with cheap cables & nice cables will only make them sound better.

I'm on the fence on cables, I use monster for the better build quality of the cables & lifetime warranty, do they sound better?? What do I know I have a constant ringing in my ears from too many Ted Nugent concerts & too many race cars, that's why I use Monster but refuse to pay Nordost prices.
If it works for you the more power to ya but for me, I just want a better built cable.

Robinson_A 09-01-2007 10:17 PM

if there's one thing Monster Cable is, it's rugged. I swear to god no other cable can withstand constant plugging and unplugging (even though your gear may not) like a Monster Cable interconnect.

That being said, and I mentioned this in a privious thread, I think cables DO make a difference however it's all relative to the person and the system they're running. For every Nordost out there, there's a brand like Mapleshade or Decware that will get you 90% (or more) there for a fraction of the price. For nearly everyone that 90% will be enough which is why they and others remain in business. However, there are those out there that need to feel, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they HAVE the best there is and that's where brands like Nordost and Transparent come into play.

Although, anyone with a bit of time on their hands and a son or daughter that knows how to braid can cook up some KILLER speaker cables out of simple CAT-5 wire which is damn near free/foot.

Robinson_A 09-01-2007 10:26 PM

Moose,

What kind of race cars are you talkin' about? Personal collection or just like hanging around the track?

TheMoose 09-01-2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinson_A (Post 2506)
Moose,

What kind of race cars are you talkin' about? Personal collection or just like hanging around the track?

A little of both!
In high school I started building hot rod VW engines for street & off road, I also crewed a sprint car for many years, I'm a corner worker in SCCA & have worked more local races than I can count & have worked many Pro races (I love sportscar races!!), I currently have a VW powered SCCA Auto cross car, a Dune buggy & a Quad for playing in the dunes & I am crew chief on a VW powered sand drag car that runs with the top alcohol cars.
My Dad Drag raced & ran sprint cars in the 50's so I guess you could say I've been around race cars both my own & others most all my life.

Here's an old pic of the dragster, at the time it was running race gas with a Holly 750 & 40 lbs of turbo boost, yes it's a VW engine!
We run 100 yards on sand & now with it injected on alcohol it has ET's of 2.9 seconds @130 MPH
that's about 650 HP out of a VW engine!!:D
The sand is still falling at the starting line when it crosses the finish line.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/DSC00609.jpg

belizebound 11-23-2007 07:26 AM

[QUOTE=JerryDelColliano;2490]I know two TOP engineers in the AV industry (one considered one of the BIGGEST legends of all time) who use Radio Shack stock cable when designing gear.

They don't belive in good cable and I belive them to be crazy at least on that level.

All it takes is a little time listening to hear the difference. What's right or wrong isn't THAT important. Just like if you LIKE a wine but it is "oaky" or "bricky" doesn't mean its bad. All that's important is YOU like it.

More importantly - high end cables (not even expensive ones) make better connections for your gear. Weak connections cause problems and lose performance. Its that simple.[/QI have

What is the most cost efficiwent method of using high quality cable