Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 08-14-2009   #19

Default Re: Are cables the weak link in your system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtGrfx View Post
You know, while my original post was meant to be ironic, you've deftly moved into the arena of clumsy, sputtering diatribe against people you know nothing about, using petty, jingoistic "cracker" trash talk to make your points. I don't get where you're coming from, but judging from your condescending remarks, you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about poor people. Unfortunately, I...

a) do not, nor have I ever, lived in a trailer park, housing project or "the other side of the tracks"
b) do not collect, keep or own tchochkes (note the actual spelling, you're not Jewish either) or use laminate shelving,
c) do not watch or pay any attention to daytime television because I personally find it tragically boring, maudlin, facetious or melodramatic (with bad acting to boot),
d) do read the entire contents of at least one national newspaper, several magazines and follow numerous industries besides my own online almost every day, and
e) have far above the neanderthal IQ of your supposed Appalachian trailer park resident. But five out of five FAILS aren't bad.

I do not own any "cheap crap," (and most of the posters in this forum who agree with me don't either) and although I have never paid full price for any of my assembled gear, all are midrange or better hifi components from respected makers like Denon, NAD, Harman Kardon and NHT. The only thing I didn't spend hundreds of dollars on were cables, and that's not damaging my appreciation for music and video one bit. So while you may target MY post simply because it was the last in line and you're too lazy to read further back to belittle other posters, your vitreolic arguments still have no credibility because you haven't bothered to cite any scientific sources or make any provable statements. It's all opinion all the time, and yours is no better than anyone else's.

Captain Stereo, indeed. Come outa your Cracker Jack box, give back the decoder ring, and live in the real world with the rest of us.
This is getting silly. I have nothing against people in economic hard times something against stupid comments that declare something as fact when in fact it is a prejudice such as 'cables don't make a difference'. I can prove they do, but cable haters NEVER have the balls to actually take up that challenge. They just argue that it can't and don't need to. Fine, enjoy your cables from the 'Shack' and live it up. And you don't need to prove your intelligence by correcting spelling and telling me how you read the newspaper. Try reading articles on why cables DO make a difference if you're going to make declarative statements in an A/V forum.

Last edited by Captain Stereo; 08-14-2009 at 02:12 PM..
Captain Stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stereo View Post
This is getting silly. I have something against stupid comments that declare something as fact when in fact it is a prejudice such as 'cables don't make a difference'. I can prove they do, but cable haters NEVER have the balls to actually take up that challenge. They just argue that it can't and don't need to. Fine, enjoy your cables from the 'Shack' and live it up. And you don't need to prove your intelligence by correcting spelling and telling me how you read the newspaper. Try reading articles on why cables DO make a difference if you're going to make declarative statements in an A/V forum.
Ha ha. you can prove they do, but you don't. You say haters can't prove they don't, but any number of double-blind studies have done just that. So when did you stop beating your wife? Obviously the haters get no financial incentives for their negative opinions.

Feel free to link to a few articles saying that cables make a difference and we'll see if they are sponsored by the audio industry. We can just as well say, if you hear a difference in cables (or you hear voices telling you to write in AV forums, perhaps), fine, listen to them. But there's no science backing your observations.

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #21

Oh, and "speed-rated" cables. Yeah, saw about 20 google hits, all from that bastion of truth and fair pricing, Monster Cables. You call THAT an example of my ignorance? Please. Most audiophiles look at Monster the same way we do Bose, as an embarrassment to the industry with outrageously inflated claims and equally inflated pricing.

-
Old 08-14-2009   #22

Quote:
Oh, and "speed-rated" cables. Yeah, saw about 20 google hits, all from that bastion of truth and fair pricing, Monster Cables. You call THAT an example of my ignorance? Please. Most audiophiles look at Monster the same way we do Bose, as an embarrassment to the industry with outrageously inflated claims and equally inflated pricing.
Cables have capacitance and inductance, and manufacturers use various methods to eliminate RF noise from getting into the cable. Some use various methods of shielding while Transparent Audio & MIT use "network" modules that are in-line passive RF filters to put it simply to further reduce noise in addtion to shielding. And all those things contribute to sound quality in a cable. Want me to prove one cable can sound better? Fine. Go buy some speaker cable at Home Depot. Get the same length Transparent Audio HP142 at $1.95 cents a foot. Have a friend with some time to kill on your behalf hook up one set, listen to some simply recorded acoustic music with female vocal, some piano is always good. Then have them switch to the other, keeping which a secret from you. The difference will smack you in the face, and you will not even need to ask him which was which. Please refrain from any more cable bashing until you do this.
Old 08-14-2009   #23

Quote:
But there's no science backing your observations.
There's what I was waiting for. Verification that you have done ZERO listening and studying of the issue yourself, you're just another rocket scientist reading white papers who can't be bothered to do some field testing YOURSELF. Well, Galileo when you get done studying the universe and want to actually do some field research on the issue you're spouting off about, get back to us.
Old 08-14-2009   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stereo View Post
There's what I was waiting for. Verification that you have done ZERO listening and studying of the issue yourself, you're just another rocket scientist reading white papers who can't be bothered to do some field testing YOURSELF. Well, Galileo when you get done studying the universe and want to actually do some field research on the issue you're spouting off about, get back to us.
ROLF. I went in one day from trailer trash to a rocket scientist. Any more tired clichés you can throw at me?

I don't need an engineering degree or a track in Michigan to field-test a car. I could buy a signal splitter and some high-end cable and compare it to my "zip cord," and maybe one day when I have some spare cash I will. But in the meantime, I can depend on other educated people who know more than I do, and I can decide by myself if I think their information is reliable or not. I don't need white papers but I do pay attention to disinterested observers. You do not appear to be a disinterested observer because you have an emotional stake in the outcome.

So when will you get off your high horse and stop insulting people who don't agree with you? Say...are you one of those home-schooled, pro-life, neo-con, small government, intelligent-design people? That might explain the intensity of your feelings in the face of opinions countering your belief systems.

-
Sponsored Links

Tags
50s, audio, bjarn, cable, cars, cat, connection, decware, exact, find, interconnect, link, location, sprint, system, vizio, weak, wow