Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 01-12-2011   #1

Question CAT 5 or CAT 6 for HDMI?

I understand that some installers are running CAT5 or CAT6 in place of HDMI, especially for long runs. I have roughly a 50' run and want it to be 1.4a. Is anyone familiar with this, and is a double run required? Also, how is it terminated? This would probably be fairly expensive, and I can get a good quality 50' 22 guage 1.4a HDMI cable for under $150. I would appreciate comments and suggestions.
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #2
Administrator

Default Re: CAT 5 or CAT 6 for HDMI?

Yes the baluns require 2 cat5e or cat6 runs. The cost will be more than $150 for quality baluns. Key Digital makes quality baluns for this application. Check http://www.keydigital.com/ for termination details.

If you are going to install this yourself the cable route would be better at that length, imo.
rbinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #3

I am not sure what a balun is. I guess it is a termination for the CAT cable? You said I would be better to go the cable route if doing it myself. Do you mean the pre-made HDMI cable? I am leaning in that direction. I understand that 5' is about the max to still retain peformance, is that correct?
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #4
Administrator

Baluns are sort of like transformers. I was talking about a pre-made HDMI cable that you mentioned. 5' is not the limit, I think somebody dropped a zero. 50' is about the limit for HDMI. For greater distances the cat5e route is recommended. Here is the specific link for the baluns: http://www.keydigital.com/IW_Product...RX&Company=KEY

The new ones use a single cat5e/6/7.
rbinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #5

A "balun" is an old term for a transformer used to "balance" an analog audio or video signal. Unfortunately people still use it to describe media converters that convert digital signals from one format to another (usually to Cat5/6 or fiber). It's kind of like calling a sham-wow a paper towel.

Anyway, we haven't had very good luck with KeyDigital (or Gefen). The Lumagen and Ethereal products have been pretty reliable, but they aren't cheap.

I'd be very suspicious of a 1.4-rated 50' HDMI cable that was under $150. I've seen some that cost 3-5x as much that didn't function properly and none under $250 that produced a usable picture at all. More power to you if it works, especially if it lasts for more than a couple of months.
AudAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #6

HDMI 50 foot run? Forget passive. You will need to go with an active HDMI run if you wish to avoid TWO cables for CAT5 or CAT6.
RAMISki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
14a, balums, balun, cat, cat5, cat6, cat6e, digital, foorumi, forum, hdmi, key, type, video