Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 02-05-2011   #7

Default Re: CAT 5 or CAT 6 for HDMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMISki View Post
HDMI 50 foot run? Forget passive. You will need to go with an active HDMI run if you wish to avoid TWO cables for CAT5 or CAT6.
I am hearing yes and no regarding passive. Cable size and quality should matter, right? What do you mean by Active? I don't want to take a chance on "boosting" the signal and incorporating any noise into the signal.

Thanks,
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #8

You might find passive satisfactory up to 35'. Good active will only enhance digital information.
RAMISki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
I am hearing yes and no regarding passive. Cable size and quality should matter, right? What do you mean by Active? I don't want to take a chance on "boosting" the signal and incorporating any noise into the signal.

Thanks,
An "active" cable will have a repeater built in. Sometimes it is a brick built into the cable (Straightwire), sometimes it is built into one of the plugs, sometimes it is a little box that comes with the cable (DVI Gear). Usually the repeater is located at the receiving end (closer to the TV) and any good repeater will not induce noise or "sparkles", which is really a result of missing information, not noise.

A "passive" cable has no electronics built in whatsoever and I am even more conservative than RAMISki. I try to limit those to 30', but will got to 35' or 40' in a pinch with a very good cable or a low resolution (1080i) signal.

We have had very good luck with the Straightwire "Super" cables at up to 20 meters, but recommend stopping at 16 meters if you want to be sure all of your 1.4a goodness gets through at max color depth and 1080p. Expect a cable like that to sell for $400-600.00 and a DVI Gear equivalent will be $275 but it has an outboard box that is less convenient. It is also thicker and less flexible than the Straightwire.
AudAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #10

wow the cable cost as much as the equipment itself!
sunnyside71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #11

This HDMI extender over CAT cable will serve the purpose: AT-HD4-SI40SR . 50' of good quality HDMI cable will cost more. And also almost any cable over 35' will have a gradual signal degradation.
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #12

i think that u need is a HDMI extention item,usually the HDMI extention cable just used in166FT,it u beyond the distance,u can use the HDMI extention balun,it wll be work.
apowerlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
14a, balums, balun, cat, cat5, cat6, cat6e, digital, foorumi, forum, hdmi, key, type, video