Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 10-27-2007   #49

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

I don't drink much red wine because of allergies
Old 10-27-2007   #50

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Thank God you aren't allergic to Scotch!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #51

I'm an EE (actually ECE) and I am not a proponent of expensive cables, but I try to remain open minded. I will not say there isn't a difference because I haven't had the opportunity to audition lots of different cables. Some comparisons I have made are between inexpensive lamp chord type speaker cable, more expensive equivalent (in size) Monster cable and a 12' pair of audiophile cables I received from a dealer/friend. I couldn't hear a difference. I do believe a larger gauge wire with good shielding, etc. can perform better, so instead of buying some expensive cables, I built my own using and braiding CAT5 cable. I don't recommend this because it is a huge hassle to make, but they do seem to sound better than the audiophile cables. Maybe the effects are psychosomatic because of all the effort I put into it.

This is what I built: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...0&postcount=10

Actually, more specific, it was this one, but I used all blue:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...5&d=1131293941

I will say that the science underlying cables is pretty well known and has been for quite some time, so earlier comments about not being able to measure things some people claim to hear because the physics are unknown, etc., don't make a lot of sense to me. I'll ask some of my friends who have PhDs in physics and see what they have to say.

I would think the best way to determine if there were differences between cables would be to use the known measurement techniques to find differences in performance characteristics. If that isn't acceptable to people who believe our science isn't advanced enough to measure the real differences, then conduct a properly designed double blind test.

Some of you might have heard about this $1 million challenge from James Randi. He is offering $1 million dollars to anyone who can prove that a pair of $7,250 Pear Anjou speaker cables is any better than the equivalent Monster Cables.

http://amplioaudio.blogspot.com/2007...challenge.html

It looks like someone has taken him up on his offer. It will be fun to see how this works out.
http://amplioaudio.blogspot.com/2007...on-dollar.html

Last edited by Gregg; 10-27-2007 at 02:56 PM..
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #52

Smile Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

I would love to be there for this one. I`ve always believed in the law of diminishing returns. After a while, the differences get much smaller. Some, may disagree. But, your room and acoustics in that room will cause more havoc.

Keep us posted on that result.

And congratulations!! Welcome to the forum. Enjoy!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
ottojg14,

Welcome to the forum, FWIW I am an anesthesiologist by day....

I have seen and heard demos like you spoke of, in fact Wavac was using an MP3 disc to demo their gear @ HES 2005 in NYC and it sounded great!

As for the cables, Josh Clark of Transparent cable does a demo where he takes identical systems of several levels and swaps out cables and the difference IS audible, even to the untrained ear. I used to think cables were total BS, but as my system evolved to higher and higher levels I began to experiment and can say they do make a difference. In fact, ALL cables make a difference, power cords, IC's, speaker wire....

Are the differences comparable to component upgrades? That will depend on the level of your system and the level of cables you are using.

FWIW I DO feel cables matter and have A-B'd different cables in my system and found differences, so I use good cable. I know others who think I am a raving lunatic for beleiving this, and in some ways and at some times, they might be right!

Stereophile has also done some blind tests of cables and the results were almost completely random, some of there reviewers picked the cheapest cables, some the 'best', by now we all have heard the long running phenomenon of HD-14.
ottojg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #54

For those who still think that cables/interconnects make a diff. in sound in any way shape or form and don't belive in double blind testing etc., and that I don't know what I'm talking about as an MD Eye Ear Nose/Throat Doctor..and those who fall into the category of, "Don't confuse me with the facts..my mind's already made up"..and those who are living in this 'Mythical' world of make believe: I still have a check here for $100 that has yet to be collected/cashed!!!!! 4-5 Diff. Cities (Job related) 4-5 diff. Audio Clubs..setups anyway they wanted..thier choosing, etc., etc.,..NO TAKERS! Not Mythical? I reiinterate as per my post: look at the names of the products these companies are putting out! Go through an issue of Stereophile and/or The Absolute Sound! It boggles the mind!!! Right out of Greek or Norse etc., Mythology! And you know what? They know exactly who they're appealing too and how to label thier "magical" products! Anyone remember the "Dice CLock" situation a few yeras back? (a cheap Alarm Clock radio form Radio Shack that when placed in the same room as your equipment made a HUGE diff. in sound LOL! Must be electron propagation/zero point/ super-string theory stuff huh?) Or maybe Nikola Tesla inspired Free Energy beaming!
Or how ,bout the green felt marker pen around the edge of a CD making a HUGE diff? LOL! They (Sterophile/Absolute Sound) all heard a diff.! Certainly no one here (I hope) believes this BS? How 'bout the putting coins (don't remember what kind or how much change) on top of your speaker cabinets making a big diff in sound! Or the little plastic risers they sell (or used to) that kept your cables a few inches off the ground and out and/or away from the Earth's Geo Magnetic Field for cleaner sound! LOL! ROFL! I rest my case! Spend your money any way you want! Then when you spend $1000/meter on an Interconnect..damn right you'll hear a diff. You'd better..after what you spent huh???? I not posting any more on this subject..as I've learned over the years you will NEVER change peoples minds with facts based in reality! I know I will hear from poeple who _DID_ hear the diff. lthe little clock made..or the green felt pen or the coins on the speaker cabinets! God Bless 'em! This is America and we can believe in anything we want..and then GO AND SPEND OUR $$$ ON IT! God Bless! ( And get your hearing checked if over 50; a lot of people don't realize they're loseing part of thier hearing! Doctors orders!<G>)!
ottojg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, audioquest, cable, cables, cl3, difference, good, improve, inwall, make, quality, sound, speaker, stereo, surround, transparent