Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 06-09-2007   #13

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Capacitance and inductance do play a part in cable design. All cables have some capacitance and inductance: it is unavoidable. The design of the cable can change the amount of each. The size of the cable is not the only factor in how it sounds.
dwbattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #14
jbk

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

In my previous post, I indicated that you should try before you buy. In some of the subsequent posts members have posted some good information about cables eg a link on whether there really is a difference in cables from an engineering perspective and the effects of capacitance and inductance.

It occured to me that there is a company that makes interconnects that are supposed to answer these issues. Harmonic technology came out with a cable that uses fiber optics and converts the electrical impulses to light and reconverts the light to electrical impluses.

Now I've never heard these cables so I can't comment on whether they really do as Harmonic Technology claims. The reviews have been positive to glowing but you have to read between the lines on reviews.

Does anyone have expreience with these cables and do they perform as advertised?

Did I mention that they aren't cheap?
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #15

the people say cables is ca. 10% from the all system electronic gears....

but I think Ok not a suprmarket cables but the quality is not from cables
(exemples speaker cable: I go max $.1000 (2x2.5meter ca. or some like that not more)
WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT IS THE POWER CONTROL SOURCE/CONTROL
(like Monster&CO. ) a stabil corrent output/power is more import as cables
for my.

Omar
style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #16

Cables matter. A LOT. For both audio and video.

You don't want to blow your whole budget for your theater on cables however you also don't want to string some shoddy HDMI cable 200 feet from your rack to your projector to realize it constantly cuts out.

For audio, you do the taste test. Somebody like a top local dealer or the Cable Company based in PA can send you some cables to try. Do some testing and you will hear the difference. Much like with wine - if you don't hear the difference (or taste the difference) than DO NOT invest. When you do hear the difference make the investment.
Old 06-30-2007   #17
jbk

I agree with Jerry. Try before you buy. There is a point of diminishing returns on cable sound and price. And, keep in mind if you upgrade you equipment later the cable you have now may not sound good with the new equipment. So you will be selling or trading your cables at drastically reduced prices.

An indirect cheap way to improve the sound of your system is to run a dedicated 20 amp line to your system. I didn't believe it until I made the change. And, it's something you can do yourself, just be careful not to electrocute yourself.
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #18

jbk,

I agree with you, dedicated lines are the best bang for the buck in improving the sound of your system. I as usual take things to an extreme level and ran 5 dedicated 20 amp line (for the five monoblocks I ordered) and two 15 amp lines for the front end gear on power conditioners. I still have to deal with Florida power surges, lightning, power failures.....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, audioquest, cable, cables, cl3, difference, good, improve, inwall, make, quality, sound, speaker, stereo, surround, transparent