Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 08-08-2009   #163

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Because the previous post you responded to was all about esoteric cables...
I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I am 62 years old, a Man of God for over 44 years and don't even know what esoteric means. Are you sure you are responding to the right quoter?? Maybe that's the problem because I keep having a hard time why you are giving me a hard time about my quotes. I am quite a simple man but have fantastic ears for music.
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #164

Wink Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

You have to be listening for it.If you are listening to music,enjoying the groove or the mood you probably wont hear much of a difference.If youre watching a movie almost definitely you wont hear any difference.If you are in audiophile mode,in other words concentrating on the sound and not the performance of the music you can probably hear a small but real difference.In a few cases it can be obvious to even a person who hasnt trained their mind to perceive these differences.I personally dont care very much.All my cables are entry level audiophile cables and I dont worry about it.
crazyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #165
jbk

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

You may initially notice the change when you replace your cables but after a few weeks or if you don't listen often you won't remember the difference.

I've read reviews in magazines and on line that some cables have this or that sound. Reviewer go to great lengths to describe the differences a cable makes in their system.

Cables should NOT effect the sound at all. Cables should be like Doctors( at least in theory): "they should do no harm." Or, in this case not add or subtract anything.

I have not scientific evidence to support this but I think the real issue is the matching of equipment in the system.

Does anyone know if the impedence differences between the components effects the sound of a system?

Maybe we should be paying more attention to how the pieces of electronics interact with one another via the cables rather than just the cables.

Just some random thoughts on a Sunday morning on my part.

JBK
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
You may initially notice the change when you replace your cables but after a few weeks or if you don't listen often you won't remember the difference.

I've read reviews in magazines and on line that some cables have this or that sound. Reviewer go to great lengths to describe the differences a cable makes in their system.

Cables should NOT effect the sound at all. Cables should be like Doctors( at least in theory): "they should do no harm." Or, in this case not add or subtract anything.

I have not scientific evidence to support this but I think the real issue is the matching of equipment in the system.

Does anyone know if the impedence differences between the components effects the sound of a system?

Maybe we should be paying more attention to how the pieces of electronics interact with one another via the cables rather than just the cables.

Just some random thoughts on a Sunday morning on my part.

JBK
Now THAT is the right kind of thinking...
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #167
Super Moderator

I believe that if you cannot measure a difference, then there either is not one or the experiment is flawed. I also believe that there is a lot of snake oil and snake oil salespeople out there.

I have observed measurable, and audible differences between analog component interconnect cables that are most likely due to the poor quality and construction of the dielectric used. These affected the high frequency response, as well as noise generation when the cables were moved. This last phenomena is probably due to triboelelectric effect. I have not done the same for digital connections, due to the price of the equipment required. I believe that digital connections either work or fail miserably - there is not much room for fuzz between those two extremes. I do know that the higher the frequency of digital signals, the harder it is to get copper connections to behave. I wish the industry would quit that practice and move on to proven optical links for that reason.

For analog interconnects, I believe that as long as the interconnect provides adequate low-impedance shielding coverage to prevent noise injection due to either electrostatic or magnetic induction, are built from parts that are mechanically sound enough to preclude immediate failure upon installation, and do not chemically break down due to exposure to air, they should be expected to work. Note that the total length of the interconnect is a tiny fraction of the electrical wavelength of the even the highest audio frequency signal, so most of the transmission line theory does not apply very well. it DOES apply for high speed digitally switching circuits, however.

I believe that speaker cables are different story - I believe in the simple application of ohms law and sound mechicanical and chemical engineering here.

The relatively high currents produced by the amplifier and the low source and load impedances make ohmic losses dominate. Usually this is due to insufficient total conductive area for the given length of the round trip run. Other potential problems may include weak physical structure that provides insufficient protection from both penetration and crushing forces, and poorly constructed terminations that exhibit high electrical loss and eventual chemical or mechanical failure.

My comments are my own - Your milage may vary.
Old 01-25-2012   #168

Wink Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyears View Post
You have to be listening for it.If you are listening to music,enjoying the groove or the mood you probably wont hear much of a difference.If youre watching a movie almost definitely you wont hear any difference.If you are in audiophile mode,in other words concentrating on the sound and not the performance of the music you can probably hear a small but real difference.In a few cases it can be obvious to even a person who hasnt trained their mind to perceive these differences.I personally dont care very much.All my cables are entry level audiophile cables and I dont worry about it.
If, at any time, you believe you can hear a difference in cables, you are experiencing "subjective thinking", a well documented phenomenon where a person is able to fool themselves. In actual testing, this is called the "placebo effect".
Numerous "double blind" scientific tests have demonstrated that no one could hear any difference in cables, to the embarrassment of some opinionated subjects. Of course, if the cables are faulty/defective, this does not apply.
Cables are a delightful source of huge profits, which, as has also been proven, is a powerful motive for waxing eloquent over very expensive cables, using terms that might otherwise describe a musical instrument to provide the innocent customer the illusion he/she will hear something that has proven impossible to hear. Cables are not musical instruments, and for a manufacturer to claim they are is deceptive advertising.

When some customers have asked me which cables are the best, I have jokingly replied, "The cables with the prettiest exteriors and names, often Grecian"and, of course, the highest price. In this case, you do not get what you pay extra for, and that has been well proven.
DaveLadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, audioquest, cable, cables, cl3, difference, good, improve, inwall, make, quality, sound, speaker, stereo, surround, transparent