Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 08-05-2009   #157
wes

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Canaree, and Mogami cables are used in 90% of all music and movies recording studios. And they don't cost $2000 per foot !

Dealers make over 100% on the sale of cables, a friend of mine is a high end dealer and he showed me the books.

- Cables Profits 100%-150%
- Speakers 50%-55%
- Electronics 40% - 45%
- Accessories 100%
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #158

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

For decades, I dismissed the impact of cabling, except that which ran from a moving magnet or moving coil cartridge into a preamp. I simply could not imagine that cables could make a significant audible difference.

Since George W. Bush will say something intelligent before I ever play an LP again, cables became TOTALLY irrelevent... UNTIL I participated in a double blind test that compared ordinary power cables and interlinks (we did not test speaker cables) to cables and a power conditioner from a company named Shunyata.

The difference was so conspicuous that I actually started to laugh. What a joy it is to have some pre-conceived notion blown to bits in an instant. While this is an exaggerated analogy, it was not unlike listening to someone speak while having water in your ear, and then the water runs out. Detail, placement and depth of soundstage were NOTICABLY improved.

It was quite a discovery for me.
mark-ira@neo.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-ira@neo.rr.com View Post
For decades, I dismissed the impact of cabling, except that which ran from a moving magnet or moving coil cartridge into a preamp. I simply could not imagine that cables could make a significant audible difference.

Since George W. Bush will say something intelligent before I ever play an LP again, cables became TOTALLY irrelevent... UNTIL I participated in a double blind test that compared ordinary power cables and interlinks (we did not test speaker cables) to cables and a power conditioner from a company named Shunyata.

The difference was so conspicuous that I actually started to laugh. What a joy it is to have some pre-conceived notion blown to bits in an instant. While this is an exaggerated analogy, it was not unlike listening to someone speak while having water in your ear, and then the water runs out. Detail, placement and depth of soundstage were NOTICABLY improved.

It was quite a discovery for me.
I agree completely. People that say there isn't a difference must not have good hearing or something. The blind test is always the best. The only thing I have to remember is that everybody has something different they are looking for in sound. I think some of these people would be happy with 18 gauge. Or even 24. They don't hear what they are missing.
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminio View Post
I agree completely. People that say there isn't a difference must not have good hearing or something. The blind test is always the best. The only thing I have to remember is that everybody has something different they are looking for in sound. I think some of these people would be happy with 18 gauge. Or even 24. They don't hear what they are missing.
As has been said and proven time and time again, as long as the cable/wire is of sufficient gauge there can be no audible difference. If you "think" you hear one, welcome to the placebo club...
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
As has been said and proven time and time again, as long as the cable/wire is of sufficient gauge there can be no audible difference. If you "think" you hear one, welcome to the placebo club...
If you would pay attention to my quotes, that is all I have been saying all along. /some people are happy with 18 gauge. They don't know what they are missing. I changed from 16 gauge to 12 gauge of the cheapest stuff I could buy and got a significant difference in the sound. I changed from light sub cables to heavier sub cables and got a significantly improved sound. I haven't said anything else like you have to buy a certain brand or anything like that. Just getting the proper wires and cables for my speakers.For some reason you keep thinking you have to comment after my quotes and it is not necessary. Now some speakers are so cheap that it wouldn't make a difference. That is another story.
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminio View Post
If you would pay attention to my quotes, that is all I have been saying all along. /some people are happy with 18 gauge. They don't know what they are missing. I changed from 16 gauge to 12 gauge of the cheapest stuff I could buy and got a significant difference in the sound. I changed from light sub cables to heavier sub cables and got a significantly improved sound. I haven't said anything else like you have to buy a certain brand or anything like that. Just getting the proper wires and cables for my speakers.For some reason you keep thinking you have to comment after my quotes and it is not necessary. Now some speakers are so cheap that it wouldn't make a difference. That is another story.
Because the previous post you responded to was all about esoteric cables...
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, audioquest, cable, cables, cl3, difference, good, improve, inwall, make, quality, sound, speaker, stereo, surround, transparent