Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 10-22-2008   #121
wes

Talking Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstarr View Post
"A great and honest company, such as Blue Jean Cable, sells great Belden speaker wire from 10-12 ohm and from 0.55/ft to less than a dollar a foot. They also sell a nice Canare cable at $1.05/foot. "

I meant that the gauge is from 10 -14 for quality thick cable. Also, quite few audiophiles and acousticians really rave about inexpensive coaxial cable for speaker wire.

Greg
Professional broadcast and audio pros companies use Canare and Mogami both outstanding quality made in Japan and very reasonably priced and outstanding quality

Here is the largest Canare dealer in the US www.markertek.com they will make the cables you request.

I have been using microphone cables as they are extremely well insulated agains RFI and EMI for speaker cables
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ad&pagesize=20

For balanced cables use the Neutrik EMC-XLR

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ik&pagesize=20
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #122

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

ALOT !!!!!!

I am a electronics enginerr on staff in the astrophysics department at Caltech.

When weare using some of our test with Spectrum Analyzers the interconnect cables used to connect the tester to the circuit to be analyized cost thousands for a 1 meter cable. We have done calibration test and confirmed that lesser cables do cause errors, in the range of 20%.

The guy that said the room is importent is very correct also.
JeffEvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #123
wes

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffEvan View Post
ALOT !!!!!! I am a electronics enginerr on staff in the astrophysics department at Caltech. When we are using some of our test with Spectrum Analyzers the interconnect cables used to connect the tester to the circuit to be analyized cost thousands for a 1 meter cable. We have done calibration test and confirmed that lesser cables do cause errors, in the range of 20%.
The guy that said the room is important is very correct also.
Have you tested Canare and Mogami cables if not which one have you tested?
Old 01-08-2009   #124

audio signals travel through each independand strand of wire... so in theory the more wire in the casing should give a better signal to your speakers. I myself dont find much of a difference in mids but I use heavier wire for subs defenitely and good interconnect cables. I find the connecters on the cheaper versions wear out ( you know... the red and white jobbies). I have had the same monster cable cables for over 10 years and no issues what so ever! they werent very expensive, maybe a little over double the price of the cheapies but well worth the extra money in the long run. Hope this helps

Last edited by TCPlague; 01-08-2009 at 12:52 PM..
TCPlague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #125
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCPlague View Post
audio signals travel through each independand strand of wire... so in theory the more wire in the casing should give a better signal to your speakers. I myself dont find much of a difference in mids but I use heavier wire for subs defenitely and good interconnect cables. I find the connecters on the cheaper versions wear out ( you know... the red and white jobbies). I have had the same monster cable cables for over 10 years and no issues what so ever! they werent very expensive, maybe a little over double the price of the cheapies but well worth the extra money in the long run. Hope this helps
MONSTER CABLES what a marketing Hype before internet existed I also bought my share of Monster cables, fortunately I had 50% discounts on them so I don't feel so bad

Now I know better and by Pro Cables, Canare or Belden cables no hype outstanding quality
Old 01-12-2009   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
MONSTER CABLES what a marketing Hype before internet existed I also bought my share of Monster cables, fortunately I had 50% discounts on them so I don't feel so bad

Now I know better and by Pro Cables, Canare or Belden cables no hype outstanding quality
Man, Phoenix gold cables had WAY MORE HYPE, when I bought cables that is. I was not recommending them, only stating my opinion that better cables are worth it. I will be getting all new cables with my new system but haven't decided on which ones yet....probably monster LOL. we will see depending on $$$ and variety in my area. cheers!

Last edited by TCPlague; 01-12-2009 at 05:27 PM..
TCPlague is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, audioquest, cable, cables, cl3, difference, good, improve, inwall, make, quality, sound, speaker, stereo, surround, transparent