Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 01-21-2008   #91

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeddie View Post
I need a few recommendations from you cable experts as to which kind, brand, length etc....... I need to buy a hdmi cable to hookup my ps3 to my 60a3000. Just got those two components for now. And right now I am using just a $10.00 walk in basket special I got at Frys.
length depends on where the PS3 is compared to the TV.

If the HDMI cable is working why change it?

When you get a Receiver, Surround Sound, etc. the cable will matter a lot more than it does now.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #92

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

sleepyeddie,

I would tend to agree with Lotus. If it's working why bother changing it. If you have to buy more cables, I like XLO or Ultralink. Mostly because they have worked 100% of the time for us. I have yet to have a failure even after using several of their 15M-18M HDMI cables in projector installs.

I have never A/B'd any HDMI cables so I can't say their is a difference, but I imagine that there is. I have talked to many installers that have had problems with other HDMI cables.

But, since your $10 cable is working I would keep using it.
graniterocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by graniterocks View Post
I have never A/B'd any HDMI cables so I can't say their is a difference, but I imagine that there is. I have talked to many installers that have had problems with other HDMI cables.

But, since your $10 cable is working I would keep using it.
I'm positive there is a difference. Is he getting real 1080p with that cable? That would be the real question. Again though I'd suggest saving money for Surround Sound because that makes the biggest difference in movie viewing at home. Going from TV or Stereo to Suround Sound is night and day and extremely worth it.

When he has a Receiver and really needs quality cables he can start spending. Right now he won't really get much of any improvement.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRevForum.com View Post
Do you think cables make a difference in the quality of the audio in your system? Do you think you could tell the difference in a blind A/B test?
Yes is the answer to both questions.
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #95

There are simple speaker cable guidelines that eare easy to google--and price has next to zero to do with sound. The guidelines have to do with cable gauge, the ohms of the speakers (don't buy speakers that go down to 2 ohms), and the length from the amplifier. If 99.9999% Copper wire mattered, the miles of 99.9% copper that the signal goes through fromthe recording studio, the mastering studio, and the hundreds of feet in each speaker would overwhelm any length of wire you used, as long as it is adequate gauge for the length from the amp.

As far as standard interconnects, just but ones with good shielding and solid connectors. The shorter you keep the interconnects the better. Less chance of picking up RF interference and who wants a mess of excess cabling?

No point in making yourself poorer and phony expensive cabling companies richer. Most buy their cables from 3 major companies, such as Belden, and just put on fancy jackets. Good solid connectors that make a good connection are far more important.

Similarly, try to keep your HDMI wire connections as short as possible--no more than 2-3 Meters. Otherwise you may have to buy boosting cabling which is far more expensive. So don't keep your preamp or receiver, dvd player, and HDTV too far apart. For most people this is not problematic.

Quality HDMI cable manufacturers will supply throughput info which is especially important if you are running longer distances. If they don't or won't supply this information, don't buy from them. If they can't afford to have their HDMI cables tested they aren't worth dealing with. But most people shouldn't expect problems anyway, exceptfrom the connectors. Buy HDMI cbales with quality connectors that give a good tight connection.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstarr View Post
There are simple speaker cable guidelines that eare easy to google--and price has next to zero to do with sound. The guidelines have to do with cable gauge, the ohms of the speakers (don't buy speakers that go down to 2 ohms), and the length from the amplifier. If 99.9999% Copper wire mattered, the miles of 99.9% copper that the signal goes through fromthe recording studio, the mastering studio, and the hundreds of feet in each speaker would overwhelm any length of wire you used, as long as it is adequate gauge for the length from the amp.

As far as standard interconnects, just but ones with good shielding and solid connectors. The shorter you keep the interconnects the better. Less chance of picking up RF interference and who wants a mess of excess cabling?

No point in making yourself poorer and phony expensive cabling companies richer. Most buy their cables from 3 major companies, such as Belden, and just put on fancy jackets. Good solid connectors that make a good connection are far more important.

Similarly, try to keep your HDMI wire connections as short as possible--no more than 2-3 Meters. Otherwise you may have to buy boosting cabling which is far more expensive. So don't keep your preamp or receiver, dvd player, and HDTV too far apart. For most people this is not problematic.

Quality HDMI cable manufacturers will supply throughput info which is especially important if you are running longer distances. If they don't or won't supply this information, don't buy from them. If they can't afford to have their HDMI cables tested they aren't worth dealing with. But most people shouldn't expect problems anyway, exceptfrom the connectors. Buy HDMI cbales with quality connectors that give a good tight connection.

Greg

So I take it you don't believe in cables huh?? I didn't used to, then I dabbled into the world of high end cables, and now have some really nice wire in my system, and while I once held your point of view, I no longer do. Very good cables have transformed my system to an even higher level.

I respect your opinion, and even once shared it, but I have gone to the other side now and don't see me coming back any time soon!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, audioquest, cable, cables, cl3, difference, good, improve, inwall, make, quality, sound, speaker, stereo, surround, transparent