Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 10-30-2007   #85

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Fewer connections are generally agreed to be better. That said, do what you have to. I might be inclined to put good conventional wires for the fronts and just wire the surrounds with the CL-3 you are planning on and wall plates for convenience.

Like I said, I have no personal experience with using multiple runs of high end wire interspersed by CL-3 so can't comment. You might want to call some wire companies and see what their tech people say and if they have any suggestions.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #86

Talking Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Is there some code somewhere that says you MUST use wall plates for speaker wires? or interconnects, network cable, any other very low voltage signal wire? I mean shoot me if I broke the rules but I adhere to the fewer the connections the better rule and installed either nylon marine through-hull grommets in the drywall the for the speaker wires or in some cases where I wanted to dress it up, wooden grommets stained to match the woodworking the lines were run through. For high voltage electrics, I stuck to code all the way. I attached two .jpg files showing the grommets used for low level signal wires and the PS Audio Soloist outlet used for the projector.

Somebody, pls let me know about code, and if I am wrong to do what I did, then I will strike city employees off my invite list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1848.jpg (59.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1820[1].jpg (68.5 KB, 21 views)

my theater in my wife's house, (my wife's really good to me!):
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7499183
jkmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #87

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Every county, city, state has different codes that you should look up, but my understanding is that if the wire is rated for in wall use which some reference wire is then you should be just fine.

By the way nice job. I noticed in one of your pictures that you dremeled out a whole on one of your binding plates that had three blue jacks pluged into it was labled something like HDMI interconnects.

By the way what wire are you using to pass through your walls for your speakers?
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #88

Bam Bam,

Not sure which photo you are refering to regarding the binding plate and 3 blue jacks. AVS forum photo link is kind of whacky at times and gives you someone elses pictures under the random heading. But about the speaker wire I can tell you it is Cardas Crosslink.

mark

my theater in my wife's house, (my wife's really good to me!):
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7499183
jkmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #89

Bam Bam,

If you can avoid it I would not use wall connectors. I have attached a few pics with the plates that I use. I can't remember where I got them but they were only 5-6 bucks. They come in black and white, single or double gang.

In my room I ran bulk XLO Ultra II speaker cable to the fronts and center speaker. I soldered the higher end banana plugs on my self. It is a straight connection from amp to speaker. All three runs were over 40 feet back to the rack.

I would get the best cable the my budget allows and use it as one continous link. I normally wouldn't even bother with the bananas but I do a lot of demos so they are more convienent.

The standard cable we use for inwall speakers and most jobs is the Ultralink 12ga contractor grade. It's very high quality, twisted, and very easy to pull. From there I go straight to the XLO HT line and then up from there.

I used the same plate on the ceiling for my projector. I haven't put the black nylon hose over the video cables yet, so it looks a little messy.

Hope that helps.

As far as your question about adding "better wire" between your wall plate and speaker. I have never tried it, but my guess is the connection between the main run and the wall plate (most wall plates use crappy materials) would negate any improvement the "better wire" would have over one continuous run of the inwall wire. The key when running wire through walls and ceilings is cross electrical calbes at a 90 degree angle and if at all possible keep at least 24" away from power lines and light fixtures as you probably already know. Another tip is place your equipment rack as close to the speakers as possible, the shorter the speaker cable the better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2035.JPG (179.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2037.JPG (109.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg back of speaker.jpg (145.9 KB, 19 views)
graniterocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #90

I need a few recommendations from you cable experts as to which kind, brand, length etc....... I need to buy a hdmi cable to hookup my ps3 to my 60a3000. Just got those two components for now. And right now I am using just a $10.00 walk in basket special I got at Frys.
sleepyeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, audioquest, cable, cables, cl3, difference, good, improve, inwall, make, quality, sound, speaker, stereo, surround, transparent