Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 10-27-2007   #55

Smile Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Ottojg14

Nice post. I can totally see your side of the story and I probably agree with a lot of it. I guess (as several others have written as well) I have always believed that you need to try the cables in your own system. If they make a big enough difference, buy them, if they don't.... don't.

What gets me is that if it is possible to hear the difference between different amps, preamps, receivers or speakers, why would it not be possible to hear the difference between cables? Please don't give me a lecture on the design of amps and speakers. This is more of a hypothetical question.

I do belive in double blind testing. But what demographics and how would you randomize them? Now I can see that someone in the general public and not a musician that does not intensely listen to recorded music for a hobby may have a hard time picking up differences between cables in a blinded test. But if you listen for fun and get to know your recordings and equipment very well, why is it so far fetched to believe that people can hear a difference from changing cables on their own system that they are very familiar with? I know that I have favorite recordings that I have listened to for more than 20 years. I know them well, and I know how they sound in my system and I know if something changes when I switch components or cables.

Dale Pitcher a friend of mine and designer of several speakers, preamps, amps and now cables, once told me he has a photographic memory when it comes to sound! Is this possible Doc? I suppose it could be? If he does really have one, it has served him well, because the stuff he puts out is simply amazing.

How well your system can resolve the recording has a big impact on how much you difference you can hear when swapping out cables as well. I doubt if you would hear changes that rival switching out one or two components if you did not have the speakers and electronics that were of very high quality.

I guess in the end both sides of the arguement are correct. Was it Henry Ford, Ben Franklin or Al Frankin that said " One man thinks he can, one man thinks he can't...The're both right"?
graniterocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #56

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Guys,

This is one of the oldest arguments in audio.

No one is right to the other side.... Cables DO change my system, which is posted here and pretty high end, and to me in that setting, they change the sound positively so I will keep them.

I understand the points made, and see both sides... This pertains to all tweaks to some degree culminated with the Machina Dynamics clever little pebbles or best yet their teleportation tweak! Google them for a laugh... That said, they are a viable company and I have seen their products at shows. That is all I'll say, I've seen them....

Suffice it to say both of you are right, and I am right too!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #57

Default Re: How much difference do you think cables makes in the audio quality of your system

Gregg,

I am intrigued by your experimentation with cat 5 cable. I was first introduced to the concept at this site, http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html. I have always been a proponant of diy tweaks and since I don't have the money to throw at every ready made product I need in my system, I considered this a very viable alternative to spending hundreds, (who am I kidding), on a speaker cable upgrade. And then I read further. My problem, if you can call it that, is that I need very long runs for a couple of my surround spkrs, like 45'. Even my front pair require 22' lengths. The author in the link above clearly states his recomendation that runs not exceed 8'.

As an EE, what's your take on this?

Those who have tried cat 5 cleary believe they have a superior sounding product and I am inclined to believe that based upon the scientifically proven principles upon which this cable theory is derived, they are correct. I wish I could hear a demonstration....

The daunting aspect of this project for me would be to construct almost 250' of the cable. In addition, as a result of the increased capacitance of the cable, I am told I will need to create Zobel networks for all speakers.....so I haven't done it yet.

I am a diy person and love a challange but I have a family that I enjoy spending time with even more. Base upon your experience, can you provide an estimate of the amount of time I will need to set aside? It took me a year to complete my theater but I actually had lots of help from my wife and daughter so it became a family affair. probably not so braiding cables.

my theater in my wife's house, (my wife's really good to me!):
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7499183
jkmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #58

Andrew Robinson had done this some time ago and was pretty impressed with them for the $$. Like I said, we can always bring up HD-14...
Old 10-28-2007   #59

I think the clock was made by a company called Tice not Dice but YES - I remember it vividly. When I went to work for Christopher Hansen Ltd. They had one in the reference system behind the rack. I carefully pulled it out and guess what - nothing happened.

With that said - I replaced all of our audioquest cables with Transparent and you COULD hear a difference. A BIG ONE. And for that matter Bill Low from Audioquest still speaks of me as a "used car salesman" to his staff yet Karen Sumner has supported AVRev.com since day one. Go figure...
Old 10-28-2007   #60

Jerry,

You need to check this one out...

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

For $60 they will send tones via a phone, any phone, and it will improve your sound!!!!

They also make a clock, pebbles, and numerous other things that apparently get sold... I want to get into something like the teleportation tweak. Even if only a few hundred people buy it, it's literally FREE money! Make some noise and collect the cash.... I really am in the wrong field!
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, audioquest, cable, cables, cl3, difference, good, improve, inwall, make, quality, sound, speaker, stereo, surround, transparent