Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 04-02-2010   #19

Default Re: Which speaker cable is best?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

A couple of things then seem to be a factor:

Speaker position.
Silver solder the ends
Check the amp output and the length you will run to the speakers
Don't overspend, rather improve the amp or the speakers.

But in general 1.5mm to 2.5mm seem to be a good average place to start - plus it won't break the bank.
pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #20

If you are looking for the best bang for your cable dollar, audition a set of Analysis Plus cables.

They produce an incredible patented hollow oval cable that will make your current system sound

better, that is if you have the hearing range to discern the differences.

Go to http://www.analysis-plus.com for a list of dealers near you.

No hype, just real technology that works.
NorCalAVnAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #21

"Analysis Plus"? Just hype when it comes to the "sound" of a speaker wire. And the' real' technology that 'works' is called "plain-ol' 14g copper wire".

Any high-dollar speaker wire you have to "preview" is a scam... they rely upon heavy-handed sales pitches, and know that at least half the people will be too lazy to go through the hassle of switching their entire 5.1 or 7.1 wiring out *again* (and suffer the slings and arrows of arrogant sales staff, "Oh I guess you just have a tin ear!")
And the other half will convince themselves they can hear a difference (in spite of no direct A-B comparison available to them at home). It's the placebo effect and the "emperor's new clothes" effect all wrapped into one smug high-dollar sale.

I challenge ANYONE to be able to get a group of objective listeners together and positively, with scientific statistical significance, discern the difference between a "hollow core" wire (oops "Cable") and a nice 14g copper speaker wire in a direct A-B comparison test (same amp, same speakers, same source material, and quickly switch back-and-forth).

Ain't gonna happen, cause they know it isn't psycho-acoustically possible for the human ear to hear any difference between the two.

Now if you want to say that one HDMI cable or instrument cable is made STRONGER or more RELIABLY than others, with a lower incidence of poor soldering and better strain relief, or better shielding from on-stage or studio induction interference, that is a totally different story. That's why professionals spend money for high dollar professional instrument cables... reliability. The last thing a pro needs is a failure or awful scratches and pops with movement on the stage. That is worth the money, and that is where a cable like the Analysis Plus might be worth it to you... but speaker cables in a home theater aren't subjected to these kinds of failures or heavy interference, and that where simple 14g wiring will suit you fine, as long as you think about possible interference from power supplies and line-power wiring.

Cheers,

Doc
docrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #22

The advice given for sub woofer placement works. Just remember that as you move around the room looking for the sweet spot, your ears need to be at the height of the sub itself when it is placed. Remember also that you're not looking for the deepest bass, but the smoothest, non-boomy bass. This is where a $40 sound pressure meter from radio shack can really help. Just look for the pressure levels to maintain as near constant as you can get as the woofer plays a frequency sweep. Try to avoid locations that produce large spikes (corners) or drop-outs at certain frequencies.

I'm the camp that believes that better wiring equals better sound. I upgraded my wires from Monster flat cables to MIT Terminator bi-wire and the improvement in quality were not subtle. And yes, I did some blind testing with my family who were 5 for 5 in hearing the improvement. Your budget for wiring should be commiserate with the rest of your system. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $500 to wire speakers to a $400 receiver.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #23

@butch You are right, I think most are saying the same thing:

Spend a proportionate amount on the speaker cable and positioning is important.

Your $40 sound pressure meter sounds good, which was the brand (or are you not allowed to mention in the forum?)
pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
@butch You are right, I think most are saying the same thing:

Spend a proportionate amount on the speaker cable and positioning is important.

Your $40 sound pressure meter sounds good, which was the brand (or are you not allowed to mention in the forum?)
7-Range Analog Display Sound Level Meter

They are out of stock right now.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100000, audio, audio and video cables, cable, cables, copper, emotiva, forum, forums, joining, money, speaker, speaker cable, whats, wire