Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 03-24-2010   #7
Administrator

Default Re: Which speaker cable is best?

Following on with what docrings was saying, this article at PC World is interesting:

The Cable Game

Not about speaker wires, but interconnects.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
Following on with what docrings was saying, this article at PC World is interesting:

The Cable Game

Not about speaker wires, but interconnects.
Ironic, that in their testing the $300 Monster HDMI cable proved the only one to blank out the projector, due to the huge cord's weight pulling itself out of the port! Oh, the sweet irony...

Great test, and proves the point, especially when going digital, that inexpensive cables are great, even at the 15ft lengths they tested.

Sweet!

Now go spend that saved monies on something which you can tell the difference: properly positioned speakers!

Cheers,

Doc
docrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #9

Interesting Docrings - "sound meter and tweaking the position of the speakers and subs in your system."

So I presume this is a meter that you plant where you will be sitting in the sound room and measure the sound by placing the speakers in various spots to improve the overall sounds? All sound systems should come with a disposable meter to help people set up!

So not hugely expensive, but I think you would need the cable of around 14g first - that should not be that expensive per meter.
pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #10

@pixie. You are correct. Do some forum searching and google searching for using a sound meter for speaker setup. It really helps with the subwoofer placement, and setting the little knob on phase (some have a knob, some a switch).

If you have a amplifier with an auto-EQ setup (with its own microphone), that is also a big help in making it sound better than any expensive speaker cables.
docrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #11
Administrator

One way that has been suggested for finding the best position for a sub is to put the sub in your listening chair and then move around the room where you could place the sub and pick the place where the sub sounds best.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #12

Cables carry current. If you have a 40 watt amp you can only deliver a limited amount of current to your speakers through your cables. The same holds true if you have a 400 watt amp...of course you will capable of delivering a lot more current to your speakers.
I've been in the industry for more than 30 years and have read & heard more BS about cables than you can conceive of. Here's a fool proof way to cut the manufacturer/dealer BS down to size..."If I don't hear any difference can I return them?"
The question is so simple it answers itself!!!
emccaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
100000, audio, audio and video cables, cable, cables, copper, emotiva, forum, forums, joining, money, speaker, speaker cable, whats, wire