Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 11-18-2008   #1

Default Re-wiring

Hello all and thanks in advance!

Here's my situation. Earlier this year we moved into our new house. The family room was pre-wired for sound (2 front, 2 rear) in the ceiling with speaker mounts. The previous owners left the speakers (tiny Sony's from a cheap home theater system I assume), mounts, and wiring. From the looks of it, the previous owners did the wiring as it does not look anything near professionally done and if it was I hope they didn't pay much.

Anyway. A few days ago the speakers started dropping sound and/or crackling a lot (I tested with some old speakers I had to rule out wire failure). So now I'm looking at getting some new speakers. But the existing wiring is very cheap and lowgrade, so obviously I'd like to upgrade the wiring along with the speakers. My question is, can this be done easily without cutting holes in the wall (something the wife is adamantly apposed to)? I'm hopefull that I can just splice the ends of the new and old wire, tape it up with electrical tape and then pull the old wire out while simultaneously pulling the new wire through. Has anyone had any luck with something like this, or am I asking for trouble by not cutting some holes?

Last edited by nate11877; 11-18-2008 at 12:30 PM..
nate11877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #2

Default Re: Re-wiring

I had done that multiple times on my other houses without any problems. The only problem you could run into is if the old wire was pulled through small holes in studs. In my new home, I saw how small the holes through studs were when the stereo guy, the builder used, ran the wire.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, av, code, existing, home, rewire, rewiring, sound, speaker, speakers, studs, surround, video, wire, wiring