Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 07-23-2009   #25

Default Re: Silver Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstarr View Post
A manufacturer of wires and cables would almost have to try to purposely to screw up the resistance, capacitance, and the induction to obtain an audible difference in wires (cables).

Do you realize that the quantity of basic OFHC Copper wire in the average speaker or subwoofer can be hundreds of feet? What makes anyone think the 5 to 20 feet of proper diameter cabling is going to make a difference?

The main reason that many people think that expensive cabling is necessary is because Monster Cable started this BS many years ago and the retailers were elated to propagate this BS for the simple reason that they often make more money on cables/wires then they do on the rest of the system.

Greg
If you read my one quote I said that I used the cheapest "speaker' wire I could get. I only increased my 'speaker' wire, not sub cables,but speaker wire from 16 gauge to 12 gauge and experienced a big difference in sound. If your ears are not good enough to hear the difference or if you are using a toy system, then I can understand, but when you use quality equipment, wires and cables can make a difference. And don't tell me you are using Bose. That stuff is junk. I have some and I have tried some and it ain't worth it.
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #26

My post of one ohm resistor and two ohm resistor was comparative, and anyone should know that. My thought was that if one were building an amplifier, and needed a 1R resistor in a resonant circuit, would he substitute a 2R? Of course there isn't an ohm of difference between Cu and Ag at 1 meter. The point is that there are physical differences as well as the voodoo. You are right, dielectrics do make a difference, as well as coiling excess IC length. Remember, we are dealing in mostly sub-volt signals with ICs, and subtle changes to the physical medium they pass through can affect the result.
Old 07-24-2009   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminio View Post
If you read my one quote I said that I used the cheapest "speaker' wire I could get. I only increased my 'speaker' wire, not sub cables,but speaker wire from 16 gauge to 12 gauge and experienced a big difference in sound. If your ears are not good enough to hear the difference or if you are using a toy system, then I can understand, but when you use quality equipment, wires and cables can make a difference. And don't tell me you are using Bose. That stuff is junk. I have some and I have tried some and it ain't worth it.
Sorry, but I didn't read your quote. As far as switching from 16 gauge wire to 12 gauge, the difference of properly manufactured two conductor copper wire is as follows:

16 gauge copper wire maximum lengths @ 2 ohms = 12 feet @ 4 ohms = 24 feet @ 6 ohms= 36 feet @ 8 ohms = 48 feet

12 gauge copper wire maximum lengths @ 2 ohms = 30 feet @ 4 ohms = 60 feet @ 6 ohms = 90 feet @ 8 ohms = 120 feet

Since many speakers have varying resistance throughout their range, such as an 8 ohm speaker might dip to 2-3 ohms at certain low frequencies, it is generally a good idea to use wire diameters that meet the 2 ohm criteria.

I almost always use 12 gauge Belden (or Blue Jean Cables wire) for my connections. I have borrowed friends ultra-expensive silver wire of similar diameters with no audible difference. This is to be expected, as the difference in resistances, capacitances, and induction between the wires is nominal.

And I do have two quality systems in my house. My great room has an Aragon 2007 amp and an Aragon Stage One pre-amp. These are connected to ProAc Response 2 speakers (a pair) and also a pair of PSB Startus Gold i's.

In my media room I have an Emotiva XPA-5 amp connected to an Integra DHC 9.9 surround pre-amp. The speakers are 2 pairs of Monitor Audio Gold Reference GR10's and an the Gold Reference center channel, with a HSU ULS-15. The HDTV is a Pioneer plasma 6020 60" . I was fortunate enough to have won a contest a few months back and was sent a NeptuneEQ, which has done wonders in balancing the sound in the room. Far superior to the Audyssey Multi-EQ that comes with the Integra DHC-9.9

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #28

Anyone who thinks silver or quality cable don't do anything is dreaming. That said, Kimber 8TC is a very good speaker cable. Kimber also makes a quite expensive, KCAG or hybrid silver cables. Both are excellent and (here is the key) they are not bright at all, but very well balanced. I have used Home Grown cables. The are very clear, clean and detailed. Their failing to me is in sound-staging and having a bit too much brightness or too little bass and warmth. Here is the key, however, they cost so much less that it is apples and oranges. HG are great for the money and even a bit more. Kimbers are just plain great, even for their cost. If I liked the warmer sound and had to pick, I'd go with 8TC. If I was willing to give up some richness for extra detail, I would go with HG. If I wanted both and could afford it, I'd move up the Kimber line. Hope that helps.
tc4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4all View Post
Anyone who thinks silver or quality cable don't do anything is dreaming. That said, Kimber 8TC is a very good speaker cable. Kimber also makes a quite expensive, KCAG or hybrid silver cables. Both are excellent and (here is the key) they are not bright at all, but very well balanced. I have used Home Grown cables. The are very clear, clean and detailed. Their failing to me is in sound-staging and having a bit too much brightness or too little bass and warmth. Here is the key, however, they cost so much less that it is apples and oranges. HG are great for the money and even a bit more. Kimbers are just plain great, even for their cost. If I liked the warmer sound and had to pick, I'd go with 8TC. If I was willing to give up some richness for extra detail, I would go with HG. If I wanted both and could afford it, I'd move up the Kimber line. Hope that helps.
What kind of drugs are you taking?
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #30

The arguments here seem to be about numbers and not sound. That is usually a sign people are out for arguments and proving their book knowledge instead of real opinions. This is all solved so easily. Quality companies like Kimber and lots of others allow you to try their cables for the cost of shipping. Use your ears, your system, their cables in a blind test. Better yet, try 3 different types or brands of cables at 3 different levels of cost, and don't bother with Monster. If you hear no quality difference, don't buy it. If you do, buy it. How hard is that? Your system and ears may not be good enough to show a difference, so don't spend the money. Stop postulating and start listening. Of course for some, this will fall on deaf ears.
tc4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
8tc, audio, cable, cables, feet, hdmi, homegrown, kable, kimber, magnepan, pure, revolution, silver, sound, speaker, supras