Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 07-18-2009   #19

Default Re: Silver Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
I can't see where 3 feet of cable would make any difference that one can hear.
Do you work in the field of science by any chance. Because I find that the ones that have the biggest problems with hearing are either scientists or techies. Sorry. But it's true. Almost sad really. Because audible differences do exist (with the obvious caveat of "diminishing returns" of course).
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Do you work in the field of science by any chance. Because I find that the ones that have the biggest problems with hearing are either scientists or techies. Sorry. But it's true. Almost sad really. Because audible differences do exist (with the obvious caveat of "diminishing returns" of course).
B.S. If the cable is of the correct size there CANNOT be any difference. It has been proven time and time again.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
There was an implication that the resistance in the cable would make the difference and that difference in a 3 foot cable would be the difference between 2 ohms and 1 ohm. Of course a three foot cable in copper is neither 1 ohm or 2 ohms, so the point was completely missed. In fact a 3 foot interconnect cable has no resistance problems, either copper or silver. They could have impedance problems by the use of different dielectrics being used between the two cables where the hype of silver would allow a higher price to cover the dielectric cost. Why? It is easier to sell resistance than impedance a factor most people have no knowledge of and how it affects alternating current circuits such as audio signals.

If you think sound is better using high priced cables, I am happy for you and the economy. I just don't see it.

Trying to infer that a background one way or the other would influence ones hearing puts the argument squarely in the emotional arena and thus the possibility that some are wrong because they don't let emotions rule their thoughts.

Bottom line is for those that are convinced the silver cables help and are convinced they can actually hear a difference, I am glad for them. For others that don't see any difference, I am glad for them also. I am in the later camp.
rbinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminio View Post
Well, DUH, of course. That is what I was saying. Did I mention a brand when I spoke about the speaker wires?? Pay attention and don't make a fool of yourself.
Yeah, you did. Monster. And you did NOT mention wire guage. So you made a fool of your SELF. Wow. Pay attention to your own quotes.

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtGrfx View Post
Yeah, you did. Monster. And you did NOT mention wire guage. So you made a fool of your SELF. Wow. Pay attention to your own quotes.
That was for my subwoofers cables, not my speaker wires. Duh, I wouldn't have used 12 gauge for my subwoofers, I used that for my speakers. I said if you just paid attention you wouldn't make yourself sound so dumb. I did not use Monster on my speakers, I used the cheapest stuff I could get and it still made a huge difference. Whether it is sub cables or speaker wires, the quality or size of the product can really make a difference. The first guy inferred that all I did was bump my volume and that was not the case. What made the difference was changing the cables and the wires, not bumping the volume and he is the one I was explaining this to.
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #24

A manufacturer of wires and cables would almost have to try to purposely to screw up the resistance, capacitance, and the induction to obtain an audible difference in wires (cables).

Do you realize that the quantity of basic OFHC Copper wire in the average speaker or subwoofer can be hundreds of feet? What makes anyone think the 5 to 20 feet of proper diameter cabling is going to make a difference?

The main reason that many people think that expensive cabling is necessary is because Monster Cable started this BS many years ago and the retailers were elated to propagate this BS for the simple reason that they often make more money on cables/wires then they do on the rest of the system.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
8tc, audio, cable, cables, feet, hdmi, homegrown, kable, kimber, magnepan, pure, revolution, silver, sound, speaker, supras