Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 07-29-2008   #1

Default Cable between TV and Receiver (when using multiple sources)?

My trusted old receiver (Yamaha RXV1) just died, and the rear projection (Pioneer Elite in a bulky box) TV that I've had for 13 years too.

I am in the process of building a dedicated HT room from the ground up. When it's completed, I've got the approval from my "CFO" to purchase some new toys. At the moment, I've got my eyes set on the Integra DTR-8.8 (AV receiver), a 60-in Pioneer Elite Kuro TV, plus a projector for movies.

I am still planning on keeping my existing sources - a VCR, and a LD (laser disc) player, but will upgrade my DVD player to a Blue Ray. My question is regarding the video cables I will need to connect between the Integra and the TV and the Projector.

The VCR and the LD player will be connected to the receiver via S-Video cables. The new DVD player will be connected via a HDMI cable. Do I also need to connect S-Video cables from the receiver to the TV and Projector in order to view videos from these two sources? Or is there some type of signal converter built into these new receivers that the HDMI cable will be OK? Or maybe there's some type of signal converter box I can add to the chain that converts the S-Video signals to HDMI?

FrankC
gundam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #2

Default Re: Cable between TV and Receiver (when using multiple sources)?

Frank,

The DTR 8.8 does scaling and transcoding of all video to HDMI, so that would be the only connector you'd need, but to save some cash you might want to consider just a front projector if you have good light control.

You also will need to check (look in the manual which should be downloadable on line) to see it you can directly switch between the two HDMI outputs. Some receivers require going into the setup menus and in a two type display system, this is a huge PITA!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #3

Thanks for the quick response. The lighting is not an issue. If building code permits, there will be no windows in this room. The primary purpose of the room will be for a two-channel audio system. But I also enjoy indi films. And everyone in my family is a TV junkie. So my thought was to get a Plasma or LCD TV for these day-to-day TV watching. And only use the front projector when we watch movies.

FrankC
Old 07-30-2008   #4

The only real reason for a dual display system is light control, yes, a projector will take a minute to warm up, but plasmas take some time too, I would save the $$ from the plasma and put the money somewhere else in the HT.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #5

Are you suggesting watching regular TV on a front projector even if you watch TV 10 hours a day every day? I don't have cable. So this would be just regular local TV signal over the air.
Old 07-30-2008   #6

I don't care for pull down video screens, so I would not do dual display unless you can arrange it so that a pull-down screen is not used. I would also put a bit more money into the front projector and not have the plasma. If this becomes your decision, plan on saving a bit of that plasma money to buy a new bulb in the future, especially if you plan to watch TV 10+ hours a day on it.

If you do go dual screen, and your receiver has only one HDMI out, you may want to consider either an HDMI Y-Cable, or a simple HDMI switch. You definitely want to use HDMI for both displays as it is the connection that will give the best possible picture.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
av, box, cable, entrada, hdmi, lcd, ldtv, multiple, projector, receiver, receivers, svideo, switch, tv, type