Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 05-19-2008   #37
wes

Cool Re: Dispelling audio myths, the cable lie

Well tastes and colors are to each is own!! Remember a lot of what we see, hear and taste is very subjective the only exact science is mathematics everything else can be interpreted.

So to get back on cables the data is what makes them better, now if you want to believe that because you paid $10,000 for an 8 feet pair of speaker cable that they are better than broadcast quality cables (Canare or Belden) at $50 a pair then go ahead and waist your money at the end of the day it is your money and you can do as you wish.

I would rather enjoy myself with a trip to Fiji rather than spend $10K on cables, but that is just me.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #38

Default Re: Dispelling audio myths, the cable lie

I always find it funny how people have quirky ways of justifying purchases.

"Why don't you buy a new car instead of $20,000 on a stereo?"

"I'd rather go to Fiji"...than buy quality cables for my system...

I have an audiophile friend who's wife comes down hard on him for his hobby but it's all good when she wants a new pair of $400 dollar shoes. And I swear she has $18,000 worth of them...

Even the best cars break down after 5 years...a trip to Fiji may last 1-2 weeks at best but a good stereo investment should last and provide close to 20 years of trouble-free entertainment. I kind of like the price/return on the stereo investment...

But Wes is right and it is to each their own. Not right on the math thing however...

But please people, do not use math as gospel. The proof is in the listening.

I totally agree that the data/info that reaches the speakers can make/break a product. Mathematically assuming that one cable company can't make a better product because the numbers don't allow it well...we all know what assuming does.

Do you need to spend $10,000 on speaker cables? No. The law of diminishing returns is higher in the cable world than it probably is in the high end audio domain but there are incremental increases as per price point. Sometimes, you do get what you pay for. How can these companies that put millions into R&D stay alive if they don't physically provide a better product. Sure, price is in question but jeez.

Please spend some time listening before you jump on the latest and greatest internet $50 "do it yourself" interconnect. I think people would be quite amazed if they would just put down the iPod...and listen.
nedrudrelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedrudrelyt View Post
The proof is in the listening.

You guys can keep saying that all you want. It won't make it true. All the listening does is tell you what your particular bias wants to believe. It won't tell you how accurate the cable is reproducing sound. The only thing that can do that is math and science. There is no one in the world who can claim that their ears and perception are as unbiased as scientific testing equipment.
bad_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #40
wes

Thumbs down Re: Dispelling audio myths, the cable lie

Quote:
I always find it funny how people have quirky ways of justifying purchases.
What ever all I am saying is that experiences such as travel and friendship are a lot more satisfying than stuff.. so if Stuff makes you happy then have fun.

Quote:
Please spend some time listening before you jump on the latest and greatest internet $50 "do it yourself" interconnect. I think people would be quite amazed if they would just put down the iPod...and listen.
We do so don't be so condescending you are not the only one who has a great audio system and by the way an iPod with uncompressed music will sound as good as any CD players on the planet.
Old 05-21-2008   #41
wes

Cool Re: Dispelling audio myths, the cable lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_fish View Post
You guys can keep saying that all you want. It won't make it true. All the listening does is tell you what your particular bias wants to believe. It won't tell you how accurate the cable is reproducing sound. The only thing that can do that is math and science. There is no one in the world who can claim that their ears and perception are as unbiased as scientific testing equipment.
Yes spoken like a true scientist ! But hey forget the data and believe this is like religion you don't need fact only believe the gospel !!!!!

By the way the earth is flat: March 4, 2008 "Four hundred years after it put Galileo on trial for heresy the Vatican is to complete its rehabilitation of the great scientist by erecting a statue of him inside the Vatican walls."

How about that for ignorance and beliefs, it only took 400 years to admit he was right!

Last edited by wes; 05-21-2008 at 08:46 AM..
Old 05-21-2008   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Yes spoken like a true scientist ! But hey forget the data and believe this is like religion you don't need fact only believe the gospel !!!!!

By the way the earth is flat: March 4, 2008 "Four hundred years after it put Galileo on trial for heresy the Vatican is to complete its rehabilitation of the great scientist by erecting a statue of him inside the Vatican walls."

How about that for ignorance and beliefs, it only took 400 years to admit he was right!
The wild card in this whole issue is everyone's hearing is different so that the statement,There is no one in the world who can claim that their ears and perception are as unbiased as scientific testing equipment is a two edged sword.

What sounds good to one may sound awful to another depending on their auditory acuity.
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, av, cable, cables, channel, debate, definition, high, lie, limits, multi, myths, range, speaker, video, wire