Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Cables

Cables It's all about connections. Discuss everything about audio cables ranging from balanced to unbalanced, speaker cables to interconnects and beyond.

Old 04-03-2008   #1

Default Bad ceiling speaker surround speaker wire

I'm not a happy camper because all of a sudden the right ceiling surround speaker sounds weak with very low volume. If I turn up the volume on the weak speaker the amplifier thermal protection shuts down. The amp comes back after a few minutes. I crossed the + and - and the same problem. I took down both speakers and both work fine.

I can't get in the attic because there's not enough space to move around. What would short a functioning speaker wire in the walls after 3 years ??

Other than running a new flat speaker wire all the way around to the opposite wall and then up to the 10 ft ceiling, any suggestions please???
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #2

Default Re: Bad ceiling speaker surround speaker wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30krab View Post
I took down both speakers and both work fine.

I can't get in the attic because there's not enough space to move around. What would short a functioning speaker wire in the walls after 3 years ??

Other than running a new flat speaker wire all the way around to the opposite wall and then up to the 10 ft ceiling, any suggestions please???
Are you saying the speaker works fine and the amp is fine when wired differently? If so, then you need to rewire, as for what caused it, only one thing, rodents chewing on wires,, or possibly some new construction that could have damaged it, but since you didn't mention it, think varmen.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #3

Some wire failure possibilities:

1. Rodents, roaches, termites or something else eating at your wire.
2. Defective speaker wire that finally failed.
3. House shifting problems that pinched off or partially severed your connection, including any possible earthquakes in your area.
4. New construction or even just hanging new pictures where the nail could have punctured the speaker wire.
5. Heat damage - some wire has outside jackets with low melting points and if the wire is too close to heat sources (lights, heaters, hot water pipes, etc.) it will melt and expose the pos. and neg. sides to each other.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Are you saying the speaker works fine and the amp is fine when wired differently? If so, then you need to rewire, as for what caused it, only one thing, rodents chewing on wires,, or possibly some new construction that could have damaged it, but since you didn't mention it, think varmen.
Yes & yes to the first 2 questions. As far as vermin I have no idea but as I stated is a tapewire surface rewire my only option?

http://sewelldirect.com/search.aspx?...roducts&page=5

Flat Invisible 16 AWG Speaker / Audio Wire, 2 Conductor, 50 ft. $69.95 # SW-7700
Keep your wiring under control with this adhesive-backed two conductor flat copper wire. 50' Spool, White.
Old 04-03-2008   #5

Just to be clear, the speaker works fine when connected to the SAME amp channel with different wire? If the answer is yes then you have to re-wire, flat wire can easily be hidden, or you could run conventional wire along the baseboard and snake it up the wall.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Just to be clear, the speaker works fine when connected to the SAME amp channel with different wire? If the answer is yes then you have to re-wire, flat wire can easily be hidden, or you could run conventional wire along the baseboard and snake it up the wall.
If I fly you to Vegas, will you rewire it? lol
Sponsored Links

Tags
89103, audio, bad, baseboard, ceiling, directions, flat, heating, idea, running, speaker, speakers, surround, wire, wiring, working