Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cables (http://www.avrev.com/forum/cables-5/)
-   -   Bad ceiling speaker surround speaker wire (http://www.avrev.com/forum/cables/1803-bad-ceiling-speaker-surround-speaker-wire.html)

i30krab 04-03-2008 01:04 AM

Bad ceiling speaker surround speaker wire

I'm not a happy camper because all of a sudden the right ceiling surround speaker sounds weak with very low volume. If I turn up the volume on the weak speaker the amplifier thermal protection shuts down. The amp comes back after a few minutes. I crossed the + and - and the same problem. I took down both speakers and both work fine.

I can't get in the attic because there's not enough space to move around. What would short a functioning speaker wire in the walls after 3 years ??

Other than running a new flat speaker wire all the way around to the opposite wall and then up to the 10 ft ceiling, any suggestions please???

kennyt 04-03-2008 03:29 AM

Re: Bad ceiling speaker surround speaker wire

Quote:

Originally Posted by i30krab (Post 13524)
I took down both speakers and both work fine.

I can't get in the attic because there's not enough space to move around. What would short a functioning speaker wire in the walls after 3 years ??

Other than running a new flat speaker wire all the way around to the opposite wall and then up to the 10 ft ceiling, any suggestions please???

Are you saying the speaker works fine and the amp is fine when wired differently? If so, then you need to rewire, as for what caused it, only one thing, rodents chewing on wires,, or possibly some new construction that could have damaged it, but since you didn't mention it, think varmen.

rlpiii 04-03-2008 08:10 AM

Some wire failure possibilities:

1. Rodents, roaches, termites or something else eating at your wire.
2. Defective speaker wire that finally failed.
3. House shifting problems that pinched off or partially severed your connection, including any possible earthquakes in your area.
4. New construction or even just hanging new pictures where the nail could have punctured the speaker wire.
5. Heat damage - some wire has outside jackets with low melting points and if the wire is too close to heat sources (lights, heaters, hot water pipes, etc.) it will melt and expose the pos. and neg. sides to each other.

i30krab 04-03-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 13525)
Are you saying the speaker works fine and the amp is fine when wired differently? If so, then you need to rewire, as for what caused it, only one thing, rodents chewing on wires,, or possibly some new construction that could have damaged it, but since you didn't mention it, think varmen.

Yes & yes to the first 2 questions. As far as vermin I have no idea but as I stated is a tapewire surface rewire my only option?

http://sewelldirect.com/search.aspx?...roducts&page=5

Flat Invisible 16 AWG Speaker / Audio Wire, 2 Conductor, 50 ft. $69.95 # SW-7700
Keep your wiring under control with this adhesive-backed two conductor flat copper wire. 50' Spool, White.

kennyt 04-03-2008 09:41 AM

Just to be clear, the speaker works fine when connected to the SAME amp channel with different wire? If the answer is yes then you have to re-wire, flat wire can easily be hidden, or you could run conventional wire along the baseboard and snake it up the wall.

i30krab 04-03-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 13529)
Just to be clear, the speaker works fine when connected to the SAME amp channel with different wire? If the answer is yes then you have to re-wire, flat wire can easily be hidden, or you could run conventional wire along the baseboard and snake it up the wall.

If I fly you to Vegas, will you rewire it? lol