Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cables (http://www.avrev.com/forum/cables-5/)
-   -   Which cables to go with my Bel Canto digital amp? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/cables/1036-cables-go-my-bel-canto-digital-amp.html)

Telstar 11-10-2007 07:05 PM

Which cables to go with my Bel Canto digital amp?

DAC/AMP, directly connected to my HTPC through usb input: Bel Canto S300iu
Loudspeakers: Linn AV5140 (currently with van den hul "the magnum hybrid" in monowiring)

My thoughts:
1) Speaker cables: Replace the VDH with something more transparent but warm. Possible options:
A) Goertz MI AG1 (322$) OR AG2 (812$)
B) Transparent Music Wave biwire (around 500$)
C) ? something else?

I think I shouldn't use a copper-based cable and should go with pure silver foil or the aluminium league of Transparent, which is never a bad choice.
Opinions?

2) Power cable: JPS Digital AC power cord ($300) OR a power surge for all chain ($100-300) No other critical component is present in the chain as mine is a very minimal system, the power conditioning would be also helpful to the HTPC preserving the life of the HDDs.
Undecided between the two options.

What do you say?

kennyt 11-10-2007 10:15 PM

Re: Which cables to go with my Bel Canto digital amp?

Telstar,

I used to have the Linn AV 5140's, four of them actually ultimately all ran active with 5105 amps. Nice speaker, the Linn amps are on the warm side, and the Bel Canto's are that way as well, but with much better bass. Should make for a great combo.

Are you looking for more warmth? Seems like that ould be a pretty smooth and warm sounding system from the components you have.

Telstar 11-11-2007 04:23 AM

Hello Kenny,

I wont use Linn amplifier, because I don't plan to buy their pre-amp. Maybe the finals only one day... The Bel Canto has to do all the work for now :)
According to Mr. Robinson review, the S300iu should be totally neutral, while the av5140 are a bit warm, from Linn tradition. The Rotel CDP is a bit bright, but that's supposed to be pensioned when the HTPC will be ready :)

I don't want to make the sound more bright.
Do you think I should replace my current speaker cables or not? For sure they are too heavy to do biwiring with them. So if I change i will try to biwire.
Technically, a silver single foil cable is superior to all kind of copper variations, including the Linn cable that has been suggested to me.

Suggestions?

kennyt 11-11-2007 11:08 AM

Telstar,

I am not clear as to what you have and what you are getting. Sounds like you don't have some of the gear yet, if this is correct, wait until you have the new gear and see what you think first. Decide then if you need/want new wire.

Telstar 11-11-2007 11:50 AM

That is correct, Kenny.
Mmkay I will listen first with my VDH in monowiring.

JerryDelColliano 11-18-2007 06:01 PM

I am ALWAYS a fan of Transparent. I use their Reference cables in my system and they RULE.

My friend Ray (not Ray Kimber - another Ray from Revel) just took over the sales at Kimber. Their cables look cool and have ALWAYS sounded good. They are MILITANT about the fine details.

XLO is another good brand for audiophile cables that can be had in the $500 range...