Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software-49/)
-   -   What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software/637-what-better-blu-ray-hd-dvd.html)

bryan562 09-05-2007 04:28 PM

What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?

I know it's probably been discussed a million times here but I figured why not throw out the bold question. What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD? After you vote, post why you feel the way you do. The reason Im posting this is because like many of you, i still havent made up my mind yet.

kennyt 09-05-2007 05:24 PM

Re: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?

I can't say, I think both offer excellent picture and sound quality. The differences I see are in the quality of software. Some discs look amazing in either format, some not so much.

I personally feel Blu-ray has the edge as they offer higher capacity for computer storage and in the end that makes the most sense but the studios aren't helping this issue either, jumping sides and making it tougher for anyone to justify anything other than a universal player at this point. unless you don't mind having both as I do, but this isn't cheap and takes up rack space and switching power.

TheMoose 09-05-2007 06:07 PM

I agree with Dr. Ken, a great Blu-Ray movie looks as good as a great HD-DVD movie.
The larger capacity & better DRM as well as more studio support means Blu-Ray will eventually come out on top.
From what I've heard the new DRM (Java?) is unique to each disc, when some one cracks the code on The Fifth Element that's all they've done, they will have to start from scratch on Spiderman 3.
That's going to be a huge draw for the studios.

I have a PS3 so I have around 50 Blu-Ray movies, I would love to see HD-DVD die a quick death so I can get every movie I want on Blu-Ray but unfortunately the greed of these big corporations mean that's not going to happen anytime soon. :(

tigeraudio2007 09-05-2007 06:11 PM

While KennyT makes some excellent points, I have to say that HD DVD is better. While it does have less storage space (30GB compared with BR's 50GB), I like their player lineup. As for software, KennyT is right, hit or miss with titles. Superman Returns looks terrific on HD DVD. The Blu-ray version however looks very washed-out and for lack of a better word, blurry.

Blu-ray needs the extra disc space because they pack their discs full of processor intensive extras. I mean, honestly, who cares about Liar's Dice? I didn't understand it in the movie, I didn't understand it at the Pirate's blast-off party and I still don't really get it. All it does it give gamers something to do on their PS3 while ****ing off the consumers because they unable to play BD-Java discs on their standalone players.

HD DVD is nice and simple. Once you get past the first-gen players, things seem to be fairly decent for the format's offerings.

Honestly though, it is tough to get mass consumers to switch from one disc format to another disc format. It was easier when going from VHS to DVD. Analog to Digital. But now all they are doing is giving us a whole new format for increased video/audio resolution that requires loads new electronic gear (for true realization of the format's offerings) and the industry can't even decide which format to give us. They are letting us, the consumers decide. Perhaps they would have had a much better chance for convergence if they were to just pick one format and go with it. Format wars didn't help DVD-Audio or SACD any, now did it?

For now I will stay with my well built DVD collection.

deacongreg 09-06-2007 09:34 AM

Everyone here has made some excellent points. Especially kennyt and tigeraudio2007, but like bryan562, this whole thing just needs to end. Batman Begins was a great movie I thought, and had me almost going to the Toshiba HD DVD camp. But as mentioned before, these two corporations, Toshiba and Sony, and not going to back down anytime soon. Which just makes a purchasing decision even harder. There should not be a decision to make.

Make no mistake, the picture and sound are marvelous. But factor in the expense, like kennyt said, then to get the true benefits from your player, your receiver or preamp - processor should have HDMI and 1.3. Then, you can truly go on a roll. But with two formats, you can not. And, most of us are not as blessed as kennyt is, to have the abundance of digital sources that he has.

As far as the greed factor, well, no one wins when you leave the decision, or no decision, up to the consumer.

Mel 09-11-2007 09:24 PM

I think the interface on Blu-ray is better. Seem to be able to navigate more quickly. And I love the blue boxes. They really stand out when you're looking for them. The dark maroon of the HD DVDs seem to disappear.