Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

View Poll Results: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?
Blu-ray is better. 14 51.85%
HD DVD is better. 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007   #25

Default Re: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?

Big-Brian33,

When you get the PS3, try X Man-III The Last Stand or Pirates of the Carribean Dead Man's Chest, they are to my eyes the best Blu-rays out there!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc115 View Post
OK, here is what is frustrating, I can buy both those players yet I still have no source for my SACD's so now I have to use a 3rd player and then upgrade my processor as I do not have 5.1 analog inputs for everything.

At this point, I think I would spend the $1500 for the a TRUE universal player that would do both HD formats as well as SACDs and DVD-A (though I don't have any of those) just to reduce the number of boxes and connections. Add the ability to be a media player and I can remove my Dlink box as well. Though, I really need a region free DVD player as most movies I rent here are region 3.

As a technology, I think Blu-ray has the edge (more storage, better bandwidth output, etc) but I could live with either format if there was only one format but my preference would be for Blu-ray to be that format. Plus Blu-ray will have the David Gilmoure concert out next month and HD-dvd won't

I have still not adopted as I am trying to decide to upgrade my processor or not which could change if I buy a standalone Blu-ray player (or dual format) or a PS3. Without a new processor, I can not accept HDMI so I would need to use the 5.1 analog inputs so the PS3 will not work.

We have online rental services in Singapore but none of them support either HD format at the moment and the disks run from US$33 - 44 per disk But I can still order from Amazon.com but most movies I don't really want to own.
It is a very tough decision. I`m the only one here I believe, that has not moved forward. Though, thanks to Jerry and kennyt, I`ll probably start with an HD DVD player. But I mentioned exactly what you said on this forum a few weeks back. That we need a "true universal player"that will play all our discs, dvd - a and sacd as well. I have some of those titles as well.
Now, this interesting to me. I went to Lyric Hi-Fi yesterday. In New York here, they are well known. Probably the Manhattan store more so, then my store here in White Plains. Anyway, I went there to listen to my DTS High Definition Surround disc of the classic Santana LP, "Abraxas."Upon speaking to the salesman, I was told they no longer carry sacd players or universals. He said, there is no market for them. He had no Toshiba HD DVD players, and had only a couple of Sony Blu-Ray players. Go figure.
Now, you must understand, as far as I knew, Lyric was the premiere high end store here in New York. And I guess I would put Harvey Electronics second. He actually told me to try Best Buy for a universal??!!
I could not believe that.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #27

I own both HD and Blu Ray machines and after comparing 12 of the same movies in each format, it seems that HD disc had better color and overall picture quality.
bige180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #28

Unhappy What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?

It appears that Samsung has canceled the release of its upcoming high-end Blu-ray Disc player, the BDP-2400, and that its BD-UP5000 Blu-ray/HD DVD combi player will be delayed until December. I was ready to buy the BDP-2400, maybe I'll opt for the BD-UP5000 instead.
Ken S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audiogon, blu, dvd, dvds, g68j, hd, meridan, ray, throw, whats