Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

View Poll Results: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?
Blu-ray is better. 14 51.85%
HD DVD is better. 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2007   #19

Default Re: 720p vs. 1080p

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Maybe it is your display.

Monday Night football looked better to me however. I wonder how much cameras versus compression factors in.
I have a Sony Wega Tube so I think it helps the display a bunch (a big reason why I got it). I saw the USC vs. Nebraska game also and it looked great like all sporting events on the set. I haven't caught any MNF since I work at night but...
That's an interesting thought. Maybe the cameras are really making the difference and not compression.

I'm going to have to check the credits more to see what brand of equipment networks are using to really get a feel.
Big-Brian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #20

Default Re: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post

I just did a quick google search for players and found the Toshiba HD-A2 for $199.95 and a Samsung BDP-1200 for $377.95. That brings you into both formats (and with a smoking hot Blu-ray player that is still a reference for me) for a whopping $577.90. This is less than my electric bill living in Florida a month. OK, I understand many folks live on a tight budget, so no reason you couldnít afford ONE of these players and be in the game right now is there??

Letís face it, for sub $400 for an excellent player, there really is no reason not to buy one. Worried about software?? Join Netflix and rent them, if your format of choice dies, so what! You only lose the player cost, which is pretty small to say the least!

KT
OK, here is what is frustrating, I can buy both those players yet I still have no source for my SACD's so now I have to use a 3rd player and then upgrade my processor as I do not have 5.1 analog inputs for everything.

At this point, I think I would spend the $1500 for the a TRUE universal player that would do both HD formats as well as SACDs and DVD-A (though I don't have any of those) just to reduce the number of boxes and connections. Add the ability to be a media player and I can remove my Dlink box as well. Though, I really need a region free DVD player as most movies I rent here are region 3.

As a technology, I think Blu-ray has the edge (more storage, better bandwidth output, etc) but I could live with either format if there was only one format but my preference would be for Blu-ray to be that format. Plus Blu-ray will have the David Gilmoure concert out next month and HD-dvd won't

I have still not adopted as I am trying to decide to upgrade my processor or not which could change if I buy a standalone Blu-ray player (or dual format) or a PS3. Without a new processor, I can not accept HDMI so I would need to use the 5.1 analog inputs so the PS3 will not work.

We have online rental services in Singapore but none of them support either HD format at the moment and the disks run from US$33 - 44 per disk But I can still order from Amazon.com but most movies I don't really want to own.
jdc115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #21

jdc115,

Zektor makes external 7.1 analog switchers...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
jdc115,

Zektor makes external 7.1 analog switchers...
thank you, I will take a look at them.
jdc115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #23

I think I am going to go with the HD just because I just bought a new HD TV. Then again I might go out and get a PS3. I don't know already. Maybe just wait till the frenzy dies down so proven leader is established.
Old 10-09-2007   #24

Default What is better Blu-ray or HD DVD, step 1

Well I've taken my first dive in the quest to see what is better. I picked up Toshiba HD-A2 along with Swordfish, Aeon Flux, and Children of Men on HD DVD. I've only really watched Swordfish, and glanced at Children of Men. They both look and sound great so now I have to get my hands on a PSIII and stop using in store display viewing so I can truly give input. lol
Big-Brian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audiogon, blu, dvd, dvds, g68j, hd, meridan, ray, throw, whats