Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

View Poll Results: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?
Blu-ray is better. 14 51.85%
HD DVD is better. 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2007   #7

Default Re: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?

I find it ironic that my Toshiba HD-XA2 lights up blue....

FWIW guys @ CEDIA this year there were new players from new companies in both formats... Integra had a pre production HD DVD player on display, Denon had two seemingly high end Blu-ray players, Sony of course showed a new pair of Blu-ray players.... Samsung I beleive had a pre-production version of their combo HD DVD/Blu-ray player, and LG already is on their second gen of these (both these are still ~$1,000 so you could easily buy two players for the same price so no real advantage other tthan space savings).

I guess what I am saying is the format war seems further away from ending as both camps ramp up the troops..
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #8

Default How can you live without both?

Seriously - how can you live without both formats?

BR players are $500. HD DVD players are a little less.

Look at the overall value of your system and tell me you can't afford to pour $1,000 to $1200 into it so you can get the BEST in video and some day KILLER surround sound via HDMI 1.3? Sell a few audio interconnects on Audiogon - ebay some crap out of your garage (my 911 is up there to show you where my head is at) and so on.

And don't start with the boo-hooing about discs because Netflix will send you every movie you might want to own.

HD is MORE than just some $5 per month cable box. Your set (even non 1080p ones) deserve better sources.

Forget the format war argument. Playstation and xBox are going nowhere but gamers bought 1.8 million copies of Madden in week 1. If you don't buy into the HD disc formats - expect Apple and the studios to sell "HD" movies by the download however I bet they wont be as bad ass as HD DVD and Blu-ray. We all play a part in HD as early adopters and that often costs us some money to be as cool as we are. In this case - the cost of entry isn't too bad.
Old 09-13-2007   #9

Default Re: How can you live without both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Seriously - how can you live without both formats?

BR players are $500. HD DVD players are a little less.

Look at the overall value of your system and tell me you can't afford to pour $1,000 to $1200 into it so you can get the BEST in video and some day KILLER surround sound via HDMI 1.3? Sell a few audio interconnects on Audiogon - ebay some crap out of your garage (my 911 is up there to show you where my head is at) and so on.

And don't start with the boo-hooing about discs because Netflix will send you every movie you might want to own.

HD is MORE than just some $5 per month cable box. Your set (even non 1080p ones) deserve better sources.

Forget the format war argument. Playstation and xBox are going nowhere but gamers bought 1.8 million copies of Madden in week 1. If you don't buy into the HD disc formats - expect Apple and the studios to sell "HD" movies by the download however I bet they wont be as bad ass as HD DVD and Blu-ray. We all play a part in HD as early adopters and that often costs us some money to be as cool as we are. In this case - the cost of entry isn't too bad.
Well Jerry, you might have a good point here. Buying a Blu-Ray and HD DVD player, might be less expensive, and better, than a new combo player. Especially, since we have seen, the combo players, depending on who is making it, do not have all the key features that make each player unique to itself.
So for that reason, it might be better to go that way. However, the "Ultimate Player" would be to play both HD formats, SACD and DVD - A, have features of both HD formats, upconvert standard DVD of course, play CDS, and then we would have the true "Universal Player."

Then we could go to ONE machine, to play all. Rather than looking at our racks at 3 or 4 machines with an eject button!!!!!!!!!!!!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #10

Default Re: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?

Greg,

You touched upon an interesting topic, one that has troubled me for some time. I have Sony's top of the line Blu-ray player and am continually baffled that unlike other Sony players it lacks SACD support, not to mention CD as well. While the player is quite superb, I consider the lack of traditional and not so traditional audio support a MAJOR oversight.

This is one area where the Toshiba's have the clear advantage for they make, not only good standard def DVD players, but aren't bad at two channel audio either. Throw in the fact that they are now cheaper and it's clear, at least to me, that in the second (or third round) of this so called format war Toshiba is in it to win it.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #11

Question Re: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
Greg,

You touched upon an interesting topic, one that has troubled me for some time. I have Sony's top of the line Blu-ray player and am continually baffled that unlike other Sony players it lacks SACD support, not to mention CD as well. While the player is quite superb, I consider the lack of traditional and not so traditional audio support a MAJOR oversight.

This is one area where the Toshiba's have the clear advantage for they make, not only good standard def DVD players, but aren't bad at two channel audio either. Throw in the fact that they are now cheaper and it's clear, at least to me, that in the second (or third round) of this so called format war Toshiba is in it to win it.

Hi Andrew
I have the Sony bdps1es blu ray and it plays CD and DTD HD Master 5.1 throw analogue its pretty good for cd reply to. Plays every disc I throw at it. Itís never locked up with any discs apart from going in to special fetchers. I have the European modal I think it is a fantastic player a lot better than the ps3 especially for sound quality. Thanks

. System meridian G68j 598dvd, 2 557, 1 556 power amps, m33center, Sony blue ray bdps1es, Sony pearl 1080p projector. Grndview cyber series 16.9 8-foot electric screen. Panasonic 42in 1080p plasma TV. Front Dali helicon 400, Dali in wall back speakers, Snell ps10sub, Chord signature cables all round. X-box 360HD add on. And ISOTEK power supply and cables. Installed it all my self.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007   #12

Cool Re: What is better, Blu-ray or HD DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
Greg,

Yes, I agree with you. I`ve liked Sony products for so long. But have always hated their stubborness to not conform with everyone else. Usually, this means parts and accessories have to come from them. Software, etc.

The problem is, I always go for quality first. So it started with me very early in 1980, with buying my first VCR, a Sony Betamax. Which led, to the Sony Super Beta Hi - Fi machine. First the 900, then the front ejecting 750. Then, we all know what happened with Panasonic/Matshu****a/JVC and VHS. And I still have a small collection of fights, NBA All Star games, and concerts on Beta.

Back to Sony and Blu-Ray and this format thing. How do you make a Sony High Definition machine, knowing people out there have SACD titles, including myself, and make a machine that will not play them as well. That is why, while tempted to go HD DVD due to Toshibas excellent pricing, King kong and Batman Begins, I just can not pull the trigger.
How hard can it be, with all this technology, to make a true "Universal Player?"
On the audio and DVD side, Esoteric does it. And so do others. Anyway Andrew, I totally fell your pain.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audiogon, blu, dvd, dvds, g68j, hd, meridan, ray, throw, whats