Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14
Default Dialog Intelligibility

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing a problem with dialog intelligibility with Blu-Ray releases. I find that I have to really crank the volume to make out most movie's dialog but then get blasted away during action sequences. I don't have a similar problem while watching TV (though my guess is most stations compress the audio so you don't have that wide a dynamic range).

I'm running an Integra DTC-9.8 preamp through an Arcam amp (have also used an Anthem amp) to PSB Imagine B speakers. I currently don't have a center channel as it is a small space and no real good place to put one - I do have the preamp set to mix the dialog in with the left and right front speakers (which are bi-amped). I noticed a similar problem when I did have a center channel speaker back when I was running the same electronics with Vienna Acoustic Beethoven with Maestro Center - and I even set the center speaker level higher than the other channels to try and help with it!

Any suggestions?


John
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009   #2
Super Member
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost Causes, Mew Nexico
Posts: 153
Default Re: Dialog Intelligibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing a problem with dialog intelligibility with Blu-Ray releases. I find that I have to really crank the volume to make out most movie's dialog but then get blasted away during action sequences. I don't have a similar problem while watching TV (though my guess is most stations compress the audio so you don't have that wide a dynamic range).

I'm running an Integra DTC-9.8 preamp through an Arcam amp (have also used an Anthem amp) to PSB Imagine B speakers. I currently don't have a center channel as it is a small space and no real good place to put one - I do have the preamp set to mix the dialog in with the left and right front speakers (which are bi-amped). I noticed a similar problem when I did have a center channel speaker back when I was running the same electronics with Vienna Acoustic Beethoven with Maestro Center - and I even set the center speaker level higher than the other channels to try and help with it!

Any suggestions?


John
Yes, not having a center channel IS your problem. Add one and your dialog problems will disappear. You will also notice a more rounded out audio presentation. When the center channel info is mixed into the right and left channels, much is missing.
__________________
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009   #3
Administrator
 
rbinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 768
Default Re: Dialog Intelligibility

One possibility, though not elegant, is to connect the audio to your TV speakers, assuming you are using a TV. The TV audio can be boosted to fill in the center. While not the best solution it will boost the dialog.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009   #4
Super Member
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost Causes, Mew Nexico
Posts: 153
Default Re: Dialog Intelligibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
One possibility, though not elegant, is to connect the audio to your TV speakers, assuming you are using a TV. The TV audio can be boosted to fill in the center. While not the best solution it will boost the dialog.
If you can use the TV as the center channel, it would help but would not be the ideal solution.
__________________
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009   #5
Administrator
 
rbinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 768
Default Re: Dialog Intelligibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
If you can use the TV as the center channel, it would help but would not be the ideal solution.
I used different words to say the same thing. Some people are convinced they don't have room for a center channel speaker and for those people that is the next best thing.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14
Default Re: Dialog Intelligibility

Thanks for the idea, I looked in to getting the matching center channel for my front speakers and how I might integrate it in to my system and might give that a try. As a temporary solution I'll try running my TV speaker as the center and see what that does. Thanks for the suggestion.

Speaking of center channels, in order to integrate it in to my set-up I was looking at those mounts that work above the TV but was having trouble getting much info. For instance, I was looking at an OmniMount shelf (CCH1P) which says it will mount on an LCD and can hold the weight of the matching center but I can't figure out how it attaches to my thin LCD panel - I can see it working on a DLP or rear-projector but can't make out how it would work with LCD. Does anyone have any experience using something like this with a flat-panel TV?


John
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
blu, bluray, center, channel, dialog, dialogue, dish, hd, higher, intelligibility, movies, network, ray, sound, speaker, volume

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off





SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1