Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software-49/)
-   -   Question -- Pionner/Universal Blu-Ray Discs (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software/2960-question-pionner-universal-blu-ray-discs.html)

ChiefTK 12-27-2008 08:54 AM

Question -- Pionner/Universal Blu-Ray Discs

I recently purchased a Pioneer BDP 05FD Blu-Ray player and while playing some Universal Studios discs noted that two small square icons appear at the top right of the picture. These boxes are distracting and annoying and I have not found any solution that eliminates them while the movie is playing. I am not certain if the issue is a result of the Pioneer or the disc.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and, if so, can you provide me with a solution to eliminate these icons?

Incidentally, while the Pioneer looks good in my rack, I feel this unit is glitchy, slow and over-priced. My primary reason for this purchase is I have a Lexicon MC-12B pre-pro and the salesman stated that this Pioneer internally decoded all audio formats and output them via both HDMI and analog outputs, including DTS Master Audio. Unfortunately, it does not yet fully output DTS-MA through its analog circuitry. I am advised that a firmware update will eventually solve this issue, but have not been provided a firm date for this resolution.

I wish I had seen the Panasonic DMP BD-55 reviews before buying the Pioneer.

Thanks for any help regarding the icon issue.

kennyt 12-28-2008 04:43 AM

Re: Question -- Pionner/Universal Blu-Ray Discs

Return it if you can, buy the Sony BDP-S550.

wes 12-28-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefTK (Post 19276)
I recently purchased a Pioneer BDP 05FD Blu-Ray player and while playing some Universal Studios discs noted that two small square icons appear at the top right of the picture. These boxes are distracting and annoying and I have not found any solution that eliminates them while the movie is playing. I am not certain if the issue is a result of the Pioneer or the disc.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and, if so, can you provide me with a solution to eliminate these icons?

Incidentally, while the Pioneer looks good in my rack, I feel this unit is glitchy, slow and over-priced. My primary reason for this purchase is I have a Lexicon MC-12B pre-pro and the salesman stated that this Pioneer internally decoded all audio formats and output them via both HDMI and analog outputs, including DTS Master Audio. Unfortunately, it does not yet fully output DTS-MA through its analog circuitry. I am advised that a firmware update will eventually solve this issue, but have not been provided a firm date for this resolution.

If you do not need analogue 7.1 save yourself some money and get the Panasonic DMP-BD-35

jzirkel 01-02-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wes (Post 19286)
If you do not need analogue 7.1 save yourself some money and get the Panasonic DMP-BD-35

He needs the analog outs for his Lex pre/pro.

There are lots of less expensive (compared to the Pioneer) choices that decode and out put all the new audio formats, including DTS_MA, thru 7.1 analog outs. Samsung 2500, Sony S550, Panasonic BD55, etc., can all be found at street prices in the low $300's...

John

ChiefTK 01-02-2009 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=jzirkel;19311]He needs the analog outs for his Lex pre/pro.

Exactly.

I could abide the Pioneer if it internally decoded and ouput the DTS-MA via the analog outputs, however, it only extracts the core DTS information at this time. Supposedly there will be a future firmware update to resolve this issue. I want to hear it now.

Unfortunately, many sales people at the big box stores don't have thorough knowledge of their products as I was told explicitly that the Pioneer BDP 05FD output DTS-MA via both HDMI and analog outputs.

Thanks for the help.

AV-Enthusiast 01-04-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefTK (Post 19276)

Hey Chief, that icon you see on the screen is tied to the Bonus View option if I'm not mistaken. Its turned on by default. your manual should be able to show you how to turn it off. I have the BDP-51FD, it did the same thing.