Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software-49/)
-   -   Wal-Mart giving more shelf space to Blu-Ray (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software/2696-wal-mart-giving-more-shelf-space-blu-ray.html)

TheMoose 11-04-2008 07:54 AM

Wal-Mart giving more shelf space to Blu-Ray

Walmart downsizing shelf space for music CDs, giving more to Blu-ray

From Engadget

Remember the days of watching big box retailers like a hawk to see if more shelf space was being given to Blu-ray or HD DVD? Yeah, epic times. Now, however, a new report is suggesting that Walmart may be giving more of its packaged media space to Blu-ray Discs rather than music CDs. The reason? A 23% decline in CD sales during the first four weeks of Q4. According to Richard Greenfield, analyst with Pali Capital, he believes that Wally World is "increasing its exposure to consumer electronics, video games and Blu-ray, and reducing floor space devoted to CDs and standard DVDs." Furthermore, it's bruited that John Fleming, chief marketing officer with Walmart, insinuated that "electronics would be getting space expansion in stores due to the decline in physical packaged media." We'll be keeping an eye out to see if we spot any shifts in our local Walmart stores -- won't you do the same?

deacongreg 11-04-2008 10:06 AM

Re: Wal-Mart giving more shelf space to Blu-Ray

I know Moose you have been really on this stuff. But, like I said, given time, things will work out. However, people need to heal. Remember this time last year, all those consumers who bought the low priced Toshiba HD DVD`players on Black Friday. Now, they have movies and machines they can not use. And, they are not audio/videophiles used to being an early adopter, or taking a chance on a format. On top of that, Toshiba left them high and dry.

So, they still need to see, in my opinion, that Blu-Ray, IS the way, for good. Once that happens, all will be well again.

rlpiii 11-04-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 18492)
. . . Now, they have movies and machines they can not use. And, they are not audio/videophiles used to being an early adopter, or taking a chance on a format. On top of that, Toshiba left them high and dry. . .

Once again, all those who bought HD DVD players and HD DVDs still have good players and discs that still work just as well as they did when they bought them. HD DVDs are now ultra cheap and yes, they are still better than standard DVDs. If you need to update firmware on your Toshiba HD DVD player, just call Toshiba and request a disc with the latest firmware for your model. They will mail it to you for free with free postage and you will have it in ~ 2 weeks or less.

Please stop telling people their HD DVD players are now essentially useless and they can not use them. :)

wes 11-05-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpiii (Post 18496)
Once again, all those who bought HD DVD players and HD DVDs still have good players and discs that still work just as well as they did when they bought them. HD DVDs are now ultra cheap and yes, they are still better than standard DVDs. If you need to update firmware on your Toshiba HD DVD player, just call Toshiba and request a disc with the latest firmware for your model. They will mail it to you for free with free postage and you will have it in ~ 2 weeks or less. Please stop telling people their HD DVD players are now essentially useless and they can not use them. :)

Sure throwing away good money after bad that sounds great, forget HD-DVD and get a blu ray player. What will you do with your HD-DVD discs once your player dies?? Coasters I guess?

rlpiii 11-05-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wes (Post 18517)
Sure throwing away good money after bad that sounds great, forget HD-DVD and get a blu ray player. What will you do with your HD-DVD discs once your player dies?? Coasters I guess?

I have blue-ray players - 5 total - 2 of which are combo BR/HD DVD players. I also have one $99 Toshiba HD-A2 special that came with 5 free movies back when I got it - so the player was essentially free. Seeing how LG is supporting their players, I am not worried about it dying and being stuck with a bunch of coasters. Besides, even if all my HD DVD players "died forever" I still feel I got all my money out of them and then some.

deacongreg 11-06-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpiii (Post 18496)
Once again, all those who bought HD DVD players and HD DVDs still have good players and discs that still work just as well as they did when they bought them. HD DVDs are now ultra cheap and yes, they are still better than standard DVDs. If you need to update firmware on your Toshiba HD DVD player, just call Toshiba and request a disc with the latest firmware for your model. They will mail it to you for free with free postage and you will have it in ~ 2 weeks or less.

Please stop telling people their HD DVD players are now essentially useless and they can not use them. :)

This I do not understand. Blu-Ray is in. HD DVD is not. The inevitable will happen soon. No more HD DVD software to buy. Why would anyone be interested in a format that has no more life. Now, for those who bought a HD DVD player as the first an only dvd player, than yes, that customer can still use that player to play standard dvd`s.
However, they will still need to buy a Blu-Ray player, if they want in to High Definition.

I don`t know about the rest of you, but for me simplicity is key for me. Having 3 and 4 dvd players, is not what i would call good sense. Or, being a good steward with your finances.