Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software-49/)
-   -   Blu-ray will completely dry up within five years time (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software/2434-blu-ray-will-completely-dry-up-within-five-years-time.html)

rex 09-04-2008 11:44 AM

Blu-ray will completely dry up within five years time

Samsung predicts Blu-ray to dry up in five years

Even the largest supporter of Blu-ray, Sony, has admitted that it is the end of the road for optical technology. At the same time they also claimed it would be around for years to come, providing plenty of capacity and versatility for quite a while. Given how long CDs and DVDs are lasting, you might assume that to be 10 or even 15 years. Maybe even more.

Not Samsung, they have a much gloomier picture of Blu-ray. They are also members of the Blu-ray disc association along with Sony, and concur that it's the last optical technology around. Where they differ from Sony is in how long Blu-ray will last. They claim it may have as little as five years. Even if it does manage to survive five years, Samsung thinks that it “definitely” doesn't have 10 left in it.

Some of the cited reasons include increased distribution of high-def content over the Internet, hardware pricing and more. It's interesting when even two big supporters of Blu-ray predict its downfall in the near future.

By Justin Mann, TechSpot.com
Published: September 4, 2008, 12:45 PM EST

TheMoose 09-04-2008 02:24 PM

Re: Blu-ray will completely dry up within five years time

Quote:

Originally Posted by rex (Post 17510)
It's interesting when even two big supporters of Blu-ray predict its downfall in the near future.

First off where does he get that Sony is predicting Blu-Rays downfall from them saying Blu-Ray "is the end of the road for optical technology, At the same time they also claimed it would be around for years to come, providing plenty of capacity and versatility for quite a while."
That sounds to me like they are saying that it's going to take a whole new technology to beat Blu-ray & that's nowhere near them predicting Blu-rays downfall!

While nothing lasts forever I think Blu-Ray has a lot more than 5 years left!
I know Samsung is bringing out web connected TV sets & they want everyone to buy down loadable movies in high definition but that is not going to kill optical discs for a long time.
The quality will not be as good as Blu-ray in audio or video because it'll need to be compressed (it took me 7 hours to download a 1080p movie from DirecTV & it was only a 1 1/2 hour movie)
Also companies are putting caps on your internet & a couple of movies may be all you can download a month.

I don't think DVD or Blu-Ray is going anywhere until we get 4K resolution.

Ken S 09-06-2008 09:49 AM

Samsung: Blu-Ray Has Five Years Left

Samsung Predicts Short Lifespan for Blu-Ray
[09/04/2008 07:21 AM]
by Anton Shilov
X-bit Laboratories

A representative for Samsung Electronics said in an interview that Blu-ray disc format was unlikely to enjoy a long lifespan, like DVD. Instead, the high-definition video standard has only five years left.

“I think it [Blu-ray] has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn't give it 10,” Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK told Pocket-lint web-site in an interview.

The claim seems surprising as Samsung is one of the key members of Blu-ray disc association (BDA), the alliance that oversees development of the Blu-ray disc. Sony and other members of BDA said in the past that Blu-ray would be as successful as DVD, which has been on the market for eleven years now and has all chances to live for several more years.

Samsung is confident that Blu-ray will become big, but the consumer electronics giant may be somewhat afraid of digital distribution of high-definition movies over the Internet, which is a threat for Blu-ray on the mass market.

Nowadays sales of movies on Blu-ray are on the rise since quality difference between standard-definition (SD) and high-definition (HD) can be noticed easily, especially when it comes to new movies. Unfortunately, both hardware and content prices remain on the high levels, which limits adoption of the format in the mainstream market.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...ears_Left.html