Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 07-28-2008   #1
Administrator

Default Netflix to Increase Cost of Blu-ray Rentals

Reed Hastings, CEO of Netflix has confirmed that the price for Blu-ray rentals from Netflix will increase very soon. No real specifics were supplied at the press conference. However, if tests are successful, the premium will be applied across the entire subscriber database.

Blu-ray rentals still make up only a small percentage of movie rentals from Netflix - less than 10 percent. Hastings anticipates that will change as Blu-ray players become cheaper this holiday season. The exact price increase was not released, but rumors have it at a couple of dollars per month.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #2

Default Re: Netflix to Increase Cost of Blu-ray Rentals

I would gladly pay the extra few dollars per month, but I must admit, Blu-rays seem to be far more susceptible to damage as I've had several titles already from Netflix that had playback problems, sometimes in only one of my players, sometimes in all three despite cleaning and the most recent firmware updates.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #3

Netflix Blu-Ray charge $1 a month

From Engadget,

We already knew full well that Netflix was getting antsy to throw a "Blu-ray premium" onto accounts, but it looks like "very soon" may really mean "within the next month." According to a tipster who just today signed up for a new account and added Blu-ray access, a message popped up at the completion of the transaction notifying him that a $1 per month charge (plus applicable taxes) would be added once his free trial concluded. Just a wild guess here, but we don't reckon you're bailing out on your rental plan over this, right?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #4

Considering Netflix has only ever dropped the price of my account in the 8 years I have used them, I certainly will not drop them for the $1.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Considering Netflix has only ever dropped the price of my account in the 8 years I have used them, I certainly will not drop them for the $1.
I can agree with you for the most part.

But don't you think in principal that consumers should do something to make there displeasure known. The amount of times they can rent one disc almost negates the cost preiumn to them. And I can bet that they are not even paying Best Buy prices for them either. Not to mention how many movies I have on my queue that are listed as long wait casue they donít want to seem to buy enough.

This is just greed pure and simple and we are just looking like a cash cow of geeks wanting to play with our new toys.
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #6

Come on guys, it's just a dollar - less than a cup of coffee. I'm glad they only raised the price if you rent Blu-ray discs. For a good percentage of their customers, there will be no price increase. Netflix is a true bargain any way you cut it.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, bluray, cost, damage, dvd, free, increase, members, netflix, netflx, player, price, ray, rental, software