Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 08-05-2008   #7

Default Re: Netflix to Increase Cost of Blu-ray Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
Come on guys, it's just a dollar - less than a cup of coffee. I'm glad they only raised the price if you rent Blu-ray discs. For a good percentage of their customers, there will be no price increase. Netflix is a true bargain any way you cut it.
Again in principal I agree. But I'm also sure that when gas started going up it was only 10 cents at first and somewhere there was somebody saying that it is only a dime what is the big deal? Now look at how much more we pay.

And only a dollar more is speculation cause based on this article it could be more.
http://formatwarcentral.com/index.ph...iscs/#more-989

But my point is how many times as a consumer do we just sit and take it? If there was some value added by them maybe some justification. But it is the same. They buy the discs in bulk in what I expect to be a pretty good discount. Send it in the same envelope, by the same people in the same way. Rent it a bunch of times and do nothing to justify it. Like you said it is only a dollar or maybe more. But in how many places has just a dollar or two more cut into some of the things that you can no longer do. I like many people in this country will not be able to take vacation this summer, because of the dollar more I am paying in gas, electric, milk and so on and so on.

Of course we don't have to rent movies at all, before that come up. And like you say for the most part it really is a good value for a good service. I have no complaints other then the long waits on Blu titles. And I like most will probably just keep renting and pay the extra fee. Ironically enough as we don't have the extra funds we used to. We are staying home alot more often and renting alot more movies.

Again I'm not really disagreeing with you. I'm just playing Devils Advocate. And asking what value are they adding to justify a cost premium? Cause the cost of the disc itself is minimal. And when prices come down to DVD levels will they stop charging that premium? I would have to bet not.
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Again in principal I agree. But I'm also sure that when gas started going up it was only 10 cents at first and somewhere there was somebody saying that it is only a dime what is the big deal? Now look at how much more we pay.

And only a dollar more is speculation cause based on this article it could be more.
http://formatwarcentral.com/index.ph...iscs/#more-989

But my point is how many times as a consumer do we just sit and take it? If there was some value added by them maybe some justification. But it is the same. They buy the discs in bulk in what I expect to be a pretty good discount. Send it in the same envelope, by the same people in the same way. Rent it a bunch of times and do nothing to justify it. Like you said it is only a dollar or maybe more. But in how many places has just a dollar or two more cut into some of the things that you can no longer do. I like many people in this country will not be able to take vacation this summer, because of the dollar more I am paying in gas, electric, milk and so on and so on.

Of course we don't have to rent movies at all, before that come up. And like you say for the most part it really is a good value for a good service. I have no complaints other then the long waits on Blu titles. And I like most will probably just keep renting and pay the extra fee. Ironically enough as we don't have the extra funds we used to. We are staying home alot more often and renting alot more movies.

Again I'm not really disagreeing with you. I'm just playing Devils Advocate. And asking what value are they adding to justify a cost premium? Cause the cost of the disc itself is minimal. And when prices come down to DVD levels will they stop charging that premium? I would have to bet not.
I understand what you are saying here. I don't feel like we are getting anything extra for the $1 more either. If anything, we are getting less. What happened to all the HD DVDs they were renting? Just because toshiba stopped "supporting" the format does not mean that suddenly all our players don't work anymore, and HD DVD is now even worse to watch than standard DVD. I don't watch standard DVDs if I don't have to. I don't buy them, and I really don't want to rent them.

I don't mind paying more to get more, but it's always upsetting to pay more to get less - especially when we know a company's cost is going down. As pointed out on many websites by TheMoose, the cost of blu-ray movies are going down, not up, yet we are getting charged more. When I see things like this happen, it's hard not to believe that pure greed is the only motivation, along with minimal competition.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #9
wes

Cool Re: Netflix to Increase Cost of Blu-ray Rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
I don't mind paying more to get more, but it's always upsetting to pay more to get less - especially when we know a company's cost is going down. As pointed out on many websites by TheMoose, the cost of blu-ray movies are going down, not up, yet we are getting charged more. When I see things like this happen, it's hard not to believe that pure greed is the only motivation, along with minimal competition.
I switched to blockbuster because of Netflix poor service and increased prices, in addition they rarely send the new movies they have outgrown themselves and are becoming greedy. Vote with your wallet and your feet walk away.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I switched to blockbuster because of Netflix poor service and increased prices, in addition they rarely send the new movies they have outgrown themselves and are becoming greedy. Vote with your wallet and your feet walk away.
I am actually using both for the summer. I got one of those try for free one month deals and am paying for the other month. The waits can be a little longer for Blockbuster. But I have to admit that ability to drop them off at the store for instant return credit and the 5 free store rentals a month for the same price is a big bonus.
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #11
wes

Quote:
I am actually using both for the summer. I got one of those try for free one month deals and am paying for the other month. The waits can be a little longer for Blockbuster. But I have to admit that ability to drop them off at the store for instant return credit and the 5 free store rentals a month for the same price is a big bonus.
It ends up being $1 per movie!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #12

Quote:
I'm not convinced the sky is falling. The surcharge reflects an additional cost incurred by Netflix - the cost of maintaining a dual inventory of DVD and Blu-ray copies of the same movie.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, bluray, cost, damage, dvd, free, increase, members, netflix, netflx, player, price, ray, rental, software