Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 11-14-2008   #49

Default Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD sales

From Engadget,

For the first time in over a month Blu-ray dips below 10 percent market share in the Nielsen VideoScan numbers courtesy of Home Media Magazine. This is clearly due to the lack of interest in Tinker Bell by the Blu-ray crowd, which on Blu-ray was outsold by Journey to the Center of the Earth by over 2:1, but on DVD perform almost exactly the opposite. In fact the Blu-ray version of Tinker Bell couldn't even mange 3 percent of DVD's share, and even Journey only managed half of what the Hulk did last week at about 10 percent. For the most part, these are the only two new releases that did anything as none of the others that week managed to crack the top 5 on the Blu-ray chart. The Polar Express was barely outed at number 6, only managing to sell 18 percent as many copies as the number one title. Next week will probably be very similar as Kung Fu Panda will be about as popular on Blu-ray as ol' Tinker, but we'll be looking to see if any of the Ape movies can move the charts.

They didn't mention the Blu-ray release of Band of Brothers, it could make a good showing.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Do you think "the majority of people" are going to have there home theaters networked or even know how to set up an AppleTV or other download box?
Until download speeds for "the majority of people" get a lot faster & "the majority of people" get their systems networked downloads will not over take Blu-ray.
Between my family, friends & the people I work with only 2 of us have networked home theaters, that's a pretty small percentage that is even able to download movies.
You speak of this ability to download a movie or setup of an Apple TV as being difficult. First and foremost just about anybody could setup an Apple TV, its that simple. It has a hardwired network port if you have the ability, it also has built in wireless. Most homes also have wireless. When you choose a movie from the Itunes interface it takes about 30seconds to a minute to put enough of the movie in the pipe to start watching immediately. I have seen it stutter or skip a couple times over the course of a year using it, I suspected at the time a bandwidth bottleneck. Nothing more than a momentary glitch from 2 or 3 in about 100 attempts.

You see most people already have an Ipod and an Itunes Account. So your up and running immediately. This thing is the swiss army knife of video.... it also does so much more than just play movies. Navigate your pictures from a computer on the network, listen to your Itunes Music Collection, Navigate Youtube, Order TV episodes that you may have missed or entire past seasons. Cost you nothing to look, no monthly subscription, only if you choose to buy or rent something.

You have greatly overlooked the Apple Simplicity and think that this is beyond others abilities. Apple is not PRINTING money because they make things difficult to do.... The fact that my clients talk about turning on the Blue Ray Player and going to get a snack before being able to even watch tells me that they could have started watching an Apple TV Movie Quicker. Try one, then make your comparisons for ease of use and simplicity of hookup.
HomeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #51

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/11/14...scs-greatly-p/

From Engadget HD

While the "HD streaming rulez!one11!1!" bandwagon was quickly filling up after Netflix announced that it would be bringing such a service to the Xbox 360, the numbers just don't substantiate the claims that physical discs are doomed anytime soon. Sure, for the budding technophile, streaming is just the next great thing, but for the average joe / jane, the tried and true disc still holds a great deal of importance. A recent study by market research firm SmithGeiger found that out of over 2,000 surveyed, "HDTV owners familiar with Blu-ray favor the format over downloading and streaming by a margin of nearly 10-to-1, with about 70% of respondents citing the fact that there's a physical disc to keep as a key factor in their decision to buy Blu-ray." It also found that 96% of BD users were "familiar with downloading and streaming services, but that two-thirds believe watching a movie on Blu-ray is a better overall entertainment experience." Sure, BD has its flaws, but not having to re-rent an HD film after a remarkably short 24-hour window sure is nice, huh?

Sounds like I'm not the only one that thinks Blu-ray is better than downloads!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #52

Quote:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/11/14...scs-greatly-p/

From Engadget HD

While the "HD streaming rulez!one11!1!" bandwagon was quickly filling up after Netflix announced that it would be bringing such a service to the Xbox 360, the numbers just don't substantiate the claims that physical discs are doomed anytime soon. Sure, for the budding technophile, streaming is just the next great thing, but for the average joe / jane, the tried and true disc still holds a great deal of importance. A recent study by market research firm SmithGeiger found that out of over 2,000 surveyed, "HDTV owners familiar with Blu-ray favor the format over downloading and streaming by a margin of nearly 10-to-1, with about 70% of respondents citing the fact that there's a physical disc to keep as a key factor in their decision to buy Blu-ray." It also found that 96% of BD users were "familiar with downloading and streaming services, but that two-thirds believe watching a movie on Blu-ray is a better overall entertainment experience." Sure, BD has its flaws, but not having to re-rent an HD film after a remarkably short 24-hour window sure is nice, huh?

Sounds like I'm not the only one that thinks Blu-ray is better than downloads!
+1. I like physical media. Also, I have noticed that a lot of the new movies out on Blu-ray are coming with a "digital copy" for your computer, iPod and iPhone.

I have The Incredible Hulk on all 3 devices just because I can.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #53
wes

Cool Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
+1. I like physical media. Also, I have noticed that a lot of the new movies out on Blu-ray are coming with a "digital copy" for your computer, iPod and iPhone. I have The Incredible Hulk on all 3 devices just because I can.
Yes, that is why the studios stopped Real DVD. They want you to first see the movie in a theater $10/person, then buy the DVD $20.99, the Blu Ray $27.99 and the iPod or amazon download $19.99. Total $80 per movie???? Four version of the same movie not bad repeat business.

I will only buy Blu Ray when they are below $20, I sure hope that Real DVD wins that legal battle. Kaleidescape made it, so it should be a lot easier for the others.

Yes, I know I could download software from the net and not even bother but I am a law obeying citizen and respect that it cost money to make movies. On the other hand I don't want to be taken for a fool!!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #54

Quote:
Do you think "the majority of people" are going to have there home theaters networked or even know how to set up an AppleTV or other download box?
I don't think so.
Until download speeds for "the majority of people" get a lot faster & "the majority of people" get their systems networked downloads will not over take Blu-ray.
Between my family, friends & the people I work with only 2 of us have networked home theaters, that's a pretty small percentage that is even able to download movies.
How are these people going to get firmware upgrades? I'm using a total of 4 ethernet drops for my home theater. One for my Denon 3808ci receiver, one for my Panasonic bluray player, one for AppleTV and one for my VUDU. These firmware upgrades are vital to the ongoing stability of the receiver/player.

My Denon receiver and Panasonic bluray player have both had at least 4 firmware upgrades EACH. I cannot even guess how someone not technically savy enough to setup a simple home network would be capable of updating the firmware on a Denon receiver without access to the WEB. I don't even know that it can be done.

Both the receivers and players nowdays are more like PCs than they are traditional audio components. Afterall, firmware is really software.

You can update the firmware on most players by downloading it to a CD, but it is painfully more difficult than if it can update it's own firmware through the internet.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, blu, bluray, cable, chart, conductor, dvd, hdmi, hdtv, high, monthly, ray, sales, speed, versus, vs